• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

RNY Gastric Bypass 1st swimming session

JayHobbs

Slowly Shrinking
Wohooooooo I am just over 7 weeks out and went for my first swimming session last night. It was fantastic.

I managed 50 mins of breast stroke. It was ladies only session at my local swimming baths and was so nice to be able to swim lanes with no kids splashing about.

It was a bit like a busy motorway though.. I counted 20 other ladies all swimming lengths.

It was quite social as we all smiled and said "hello", as we politely passed each other:D

The one thing I have noticed though is I seem to have lost some of my buoyancy! Before the operation,, there was NOTHING that could sink me! I was a battleship or whale,, really,, I could sleep on my back in the pool.

Last night, when treading water in the deep end,, I had to move to stay afloat :eek: lol No more kipping in a hotel pool for me now,,,,, hee hee

Sounds fantastic.

I've always loved swimming but won't go now. I'm looking forward to starting again x x

I can't wait till i can go swimming, not been since i was in my 20s.xx

Am loving this Jay, i did aquafit the other night and my daughter swam while i did it... After we did a couple of lengths, she can't remember ever going swimming with me, how sad is that?

JayHobbs said:
Wohooooooo I am just over 7 weeks out and went for my first swimming session last night. It was fantastic.

I managed 50 mins of breast stroke. It was ladies only session at my local swimming baths and was so nice to be able to swim lanes with no kids splashing about.

It was a bit like a busy motorway though.. I counted 20 other ladies all swimming lengths.

It was quite social as we all smiled and said "hello", as we politely passed each other:D

The one thing I have noticed though is I seem to have lost some of my buoyancy! Before the operation,, there was NOTHING that could sink me! I was a battleship or whale,, really,, I could sleep on my back in the pool.

Last night, when treading water in the deep end,, I had to move to stay afloat :eek: lol No more kipping in a hotel pool for me now,,,,, hee hee

Hi I loved swimming 20 years ago I would if I could get in early to avoid any body hopefully after surgery I feel more like going

I can't wait to go swimming, I was told by the nurses at the hospital, people who swim after surgery compared to people who don't are less likely to have as much hanging skin as the swimming gives your skin some elasticity, Karen xxx

Can't wait to go swimming. Has to be one of my favourite things to do. I think it's because I'm a Pisces! :p

Me too I cant wait to start swimming again and I'm loving that fact about it helping your skin!! I didnt know that..

A friend of mine does aqua running which sounds good fun too. I think your attached to a huge elastic band and run in the water ... :D

Ohh well the skin thing is an added bonus!

I just love being in the water.Always have. Maybe its the feeling of being lighter??
Oh and I am Cancer the Crab starsign

I used to swim a lot until I became TOO embarrassed to be seen in a swimming suit.

Now I try to choose Adult only sessions or Ladies only sessions.

I hate the tops of my legs, they look almost like they have two rolls of fat starting to make a thicker leg? Does that make sense? If i hold them out they look like Mickey Mouse ears, yuk tmi i know. But i bought some lycra shorts and wear them over my costume, no paranoia for me now. I don't know if they will ever go and if they do will i have saggy skin? I expect so. But i'm just glad to get in the water, i'm loving it. Can't wait for my grandson to come visiting now, i am so taking him swimming lol xx

i bought some lycra shorts and wear them over my costume, no paranoia for me now. I don't know if they will ever go and if they do will i have saggy skin? I expect so. But i'm just glad to get in the water, i'm loving it. Can't wait for my grandson to come visiting now, i am so taking him swimming lol xx

Julie.
Lycra Cycling Shorts are the BIZZ!

I also wear some lycra cycling shorts under my swimming cossie. I also have 'double thighs' (bit like double chins down there:cry:) I also wear a swimming dress cossie with a little skirt. I got paranoid about the width of the material in the cossies crutch area,, wasn't enough material to cover my bits..:eek: I was too uncomfortable to do breast stroke if there was anyone in the pool with goggles :eek:

Thankfully the distance from the changing room and the pool steps is only 6 feet. so I do the 6 foot dash! :bolt: lol

Enjoy your swimming outing when your grandson comes to visit. Swimming really is not only great for fitness but such good fun too!

I can't wait to swim it is on my workout list for after surgery.... one more day till I go under the knife... can't wait!!!

I got back into swimming last september and went 3 times a week until a holiday in October broke the pattern and coming back my youngests failure to get up for his paper round gave me an excuse not to go as I had to get him up so he didn't lose his job, well in the end he still lost his job and so my excuse went. It still took me until earlier this month to get back to it again (he lost his job in January). I do 20 - 30 lengths before work 3 days a week (our pool opens at 7am) If I get in the pool by 7.10 I can do 20 lengths if I make it in by 7am I can squeeze in another 10, and be out by 7.40 showered dressed and over at work, (school is just over the road) for 8am. Giving me time for a chat with a friend and a banana to supplement breakfast that was at 6am, before checking in with my immediate boss on any changes to my timetable or at the moment for who needs extra time etc in the exams, before heading down to the canteen (no not for food) to supervise the breakfast club, inhaling the smells from the danish pastries and bacon rolls etc. Hell on earth some mornings. Before starting the day job of supporting or teaching maths.
I love the ime inthe pool it lets my mind roam over the to do lists for work and home, think through the niggles left over form the previous day and let them goand I am getting fitter ready for my op and my renewed fight against my flab. I love Alisha19745's idea that it helps the flabby bits not be so flabby can't wait. I chose simming as it is a great wa to exercise without putting stress on the joints etc that are painfull already. I must check how soon I can get back to it post-op on Wednesday at my re-op check I need to keep it up so I don't have another long break from it again. I hope that as I get fitter and faster in the pool I can increase the number of lengths and help myself along with the bypass tool I am about to get to beat my flab into submission and be healthier and slimmer asap.

Back