• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

2 weeks to the big day!

Kath in Buxton

Hello, as my username suggests, I'm Kath, and I live in Buxton :p.
I'm under Mr Ahmed at the Royal Derby Hospital, and my operation date is 6th October, so that's 2 weeks and 1 day to go.

Right now I need all the support I can find, as now my op is really close I'm finding alot of disapproval among friends and family. This is partly my own fault because I've left it until everything is organised before telling some people. (Those who have known for ages are more accepting).

My biggest issue at the moment, is finding out what variety of yogurt it is that I'm allowed to eat for the next fortnight. And, of course, having the discipline to follow this eating plan, and then having the courage of my convictions on the day!!

I sometimes wonder how many people have got this far and stumbled at the last fence??

Welcome Kath. Sounds as if you are going through all the normal emotions common to most of us. I doubt if many of us dont get cold feet along this journey. Just remember you are doing this for you. For your future health and happiness. My gp told me I would be adding another twenty years to my life.

I am so pleased I went ahead last week with the bypass, especially as I am already 8lbs lighter since my op.

Good luck and best wishes. I am sure you will be fine :)

Hi Kath,
Welcome to the group, there is lots of useful advice on here sometimes even from me!
Even if you had told people a year ago they would have still had the same opinions and you would have then had all this time to possibly change your mind. We have all had the same comments from "so called Friends" but at the end of the day what matters is what YOU want and not what others think you need.
There will be lot's of support on here and friendly advice to help you make YOUR decision.:)

As regards the yoghurt I think as long as they are low fat or better still fat free you should be OK

Good luck with your diet though. I've just come to the end of mine and I've found it OK but then I like Milk and yoghurt!

Welcome Kath :) this is the best place to be :) yep we all chop and change and wonder if it's the right thing to do, but only you can take that final step! I know if I backed out I'd be really annoyed with myself next time I got stuck in a chair or couldn't walk far, and every time I had to fight to wipe my bum lol. Good luck Kath, you'll make the right decision for you :) xxx

Hi Kath & :welcome2:

Its a big decision to make going for bariatric surgery; and not everyone is going to like it.....or agree with it.

The main thing is YOU after all its your health and also your future.
As long as you stay positive and ignore any ignorant jibes (because there are bound to be some).

Just look to a year or more in time and see what a massive healthy difference to you this will make. Also if you look at some of the others who have had surgery and see how well they have done you will be in the right frame of mind to go and start your journey.

There is no end of help and information on here and if you need any help just ask, you will also make lots of new friends who will show you the support you need as you venture onwards. :talk017:

Good Luck babe - you have made the right decision and I look forward to following your journey. :D

Take care hun x

Love Kat x

Hi i'm in the same boat as you been told today having op on the 7th so starting milk diet tomorrow, been very lucky and only had one person that does not agree with me, but that is my eldest sister think she is worried I might be smaller than her, as I have always been the largest of 3 sisters. She seams to think I will louse my "bubbly character and smileing face !!! no way will be all simles x

Hi Kath. Firstly welcome on board hope you find this site as enjoyable and informative as I have.

I am currently on week three of the milk diet, have my operation on Monday 26th Sept, and apart from the first week of feeling light headed and faint with bad headaches which are withdrawal symptoms I think from the carbs, I have felt great, more energy than before and have lost 12 pounds so far with four days still to go. :D

I have been having the Muller Lite yogs as they are fat free and until recently were on offer at Asda for only 30p each - now back up to full price :mad: so just went for the ones that were on offer and low fat, Activia I think I have in the fridge. I have either stir fry veg or roasted veg (with fry lite) for tea, two portions of fruit during the day, sugar free jelly and lots of milky coffees.

I have only told my work colleagues and hubby of course. Not told any member of my family as I have come this far I didn't want anyone to try and talk me out of it. We will be calling in on hubby's parents on Sunday on the way to the hospital and will tell them then. My parents are no longer here. I have had a couple of people say that I don't need it doing or that I am taking the preverbial P, but I am doing it for me, no one else, ME ME ME ME!!!! And if nobody else likes it T O U G H !!!! :D

Good luck on the MD and also with your operation. XX

Hi Kath, I am a nearish neighbour in Sheffield. The emotions you are feeling are normal & experienced by everyone at some stage but as long as you have the support of your nearest & dearest the rest will have to come to terms with it in their own time (which they will when they see you happy, slim & healthy). You have been advised on the yoghurt so it just remains for me to wish you the very best of luck for your op & then new life xxx :):)

Thanks to everyone for a wonderful warm welcome :D Listening to (ok, reading, lol) you guys has been like coming home, and I really wish I'd found this group months ago.

I'm getting the impression that each hospital gives a slightly different variation on the pre-op diet. The one Derby have given me is 3 small meals a day, everything to be weighed out precisely, with a little fruit and a couple of yogurts for snacks. I know it's to shrink my liver so that Mr Ahmed doesn't damage it when he does the keyhole, but, looking at it, I suppose it helps to get our minds recognising the small amount we can have once we're back on solids post op.

Right now I'm more excited than scared I think. I have clothes in a case in the loft that haven't fitted me for about 3 years, and new things that were a little too small when I bought them (all those good intentions). So I'm looking forward to wearing them.

But more than that I want to enjoy the beautiful town in which I live, and the surrounding country side. Right now I get joint pain and breathlessness which stops me from walking as much as I'd like.

But thanks again for the welcome :D :D

Hiya, Im a newbie here too but I have already had my op 11 weeks ago now. I just want to wish you all the best with your op and cant wait to see you on the losers bench :party0011:

Thanks to everyone for a wonderful warm welcome :D Listening to (ok, reading, lol) you guys has been like coming home, and I really wish I'd found this group months ago.

I'm getting the impression that each hospital gives a slightly different variation on the pre-op diet. The one Derby have given me is 3 small meals a day, everything to be weighed out precisely, with a little fruit and a couple of yogurts for snacks. I know it's to shrink my liver so that Mr Ahmed doesn't damage it when he does the keyhole, but, looking at it, I suppose it helps to get our minds recognising the small amount we can have once we're back on solids post op.

Right now I'm more excited than scared I think. I have clothes in a case in the loft that haven't fitted me for about 3 years, and new things that were a little too small when I bought them (all those good intentions). So I'm looking forward to wearing them.

But more than that I want to enjoy the beautiful town in which I live, and the surrounding country side. Right now I get joint pain and breathlessness which stops me from walking as much as I'd like.

But thanks again for the welcome :D :D

I too have a case in the garage, can't wait to get it out and try things on later before I come back to work. A whole new wardrobe without the expencess. ;)

Hi, I live close to you (Stockport) and will be starting pre op diet next week. I too have same queries as you but I am sure between ourselves and all the helpful advise on here we will be fine.
I look forward to following your journey as we will both be at the same stages as each other..

Good Luck x

hey Kath xx

Great news about your op date xx Im also mr Dr Ahmed at the Royal Derby, anxiously awaiting for my date.

Out of curioisty when did you go on the waiting list? i called up today and was told im finally on the first page but apparently this first page has a lot of ppl on so im still non the wiser :-(

Nichola x

Sorry!! only jsut noticed some replies here!!
Twinkle, yes, Sheffield isn't so far, we pass through quite often, to visit family in Barnsley!! Bonnie I think you have surgery just before me :)
Jen, yeah Stockport not that far, have a few friends live out that way (We used to live even nearer, in New Mills, until the pub we had went tits up, lol)
Nichola, I'll let you (and everyone else) know all about how I go on, so it'll give you some idea of procedure at Derby hon!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Kath,

Pretty new here myself and on day seven of my milk diet - operation next Friday (7th). I'm in the same boat as you regarding friends. Not one is fully supportive and they keep trying to change my mind. I didn't see this coming and thought they would be there to gee me on these two weeks when my emotions are all over the place and doubts start to creep in. Thank the Lord for this sight. I may not post very often but just reading about others journeys and thoughts, has been amazing.
Good luck on your pre-op diet and for the 6th.

Purple x

hiya kath, just pre op nerves think everyone has these . u human so understandable. some of my family dont even know i had bypass its my business told the ones i felt needed to know.maybe they just worried for you. maybe they feel its drastic measure but believe me this is the answer to it all. your life will be much better once op done.just look at the befre and after pics on here and it will prove the dream is just a week away. may u have a successful op and speedy recovery tc xxx

Well, just 6 days to and I'm starting to panic, and think things like what if they cancel at the last minute due to some hospital admin cock-up?? What if I get there and they check my weight and see I've not lost enough?? What if I actually make it into theatre and they make incisions and then see that my liver hasn't shrink enough?? Not to mention thinking about being in pain afterwards . . .
But apart from these niggles, I'm really really excited!! I just want these next few days to pass really quickly.
Can't wait to claim my seat on the losers bench :D

Back