• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

a lot of wind. xxxx

lyndajoan

hi everyone i just wanted to ask does anyone suffer really load and foul smelling wind after a bypass, i seem to remember after haveing the presentation on the different surgerys the gastric sleeve left people with offensive smelling wind.
if so is there any thing i can take for it or is it a case of,
WERE EVER YOU MAY BE LET YOUR WIND
BLOW FREE.???

I don't know the answer, LyndaJoan, but *bump* hope someone else will be along shortly who does !!

I have the most awful wind. My kids say I sound like a duck. It starts about 1-2pm everyday and doesn't stop not even when I go to sleep. I get up at 6:30 hav a few lol then iam ok till after lunch.
They are so loud aswell, luckily my work colleagues hav a sence of humor.

oh i'll look forward to this :rolleyes: lol

I have to say i've had very little wind indeed since my sleeve....far less than i had before my op. Weird how we're all so different!
a glimmer of hope, thanks angee lol xxx

I intend to find a large cork if this indeed is the case for me.

Here you go Lynda ... the reasons why, but it is a small price to pay :D:D Best get a dog if it embarrasses you to own up to it, lol xx

To get our chuckles out of the way right up front, one of the most common gastric bypass side effects is flatulence. This side effect isn’t discussed much because, well, most people who have undergone gastric bypass surgery are a little embarrassed to talk about their problem with excessive farting. So then, let’s get it out in the open: After gastric bypass surgery, you are likely to have excessive and malodorous gas.

The reason this happens: After gastric bypass surgery, your system doesn’t digest food quite as well as it used to. This is called malabsorptive syndrome. In fact, the word “bypass” in the term “gastric bypass” refers to the fact that the food “bypasses” much of the normal digestion process. The result of this is that, once the food reaches your colon, the enzymes and bacteria will be doing double time to break the food down. The primary by-product of an overactive colon is, of course, gas. Okay, so it’s not that big a deal, really. The average adult is said to fart around fourteen times each day, and as many as 20 to 40 times throughout the night, when the body is more relaxed… What’s a few more farts on top of that?

After gastric bypass surgery, you will be on a much healthier diet than the average person sticks to. One might think this could reduce the frequency of gaseous interruptions, but unfortunately, and surprisingly, the opposite holds true. The healthiest foods include beans, fruit, oatmeal, and vegetables, and these are also the foods that tend to create the most flatulent gas. You do have a few options, however, to help deal with the extra flatulence that occurs as a result of gastric bypass surgery: Coughing while passing wind, blaming it on the dog, or playing constant games of “pull my finger”. Okay but seriously! You do have options to help avoid the embarrassment of excessive flatulence:

Spices and garnishes

Spicy foods are often seen as the most malodorous offenders, but some spices and foods can actually help reduce flatulence. These include curry, peppers, flax seed, and kelp.

Holy hell, I am bad enough to start with and I am pre-op

This hasn't been talked about much and I did wonder why, as its one of the major symptoms to deal with after!! My husband and girls think its funny! I can't see the funny side sometimes, as its uncomfortable trying to constantly keep it in especially for 8 hours at work!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I wondered why I had become a trumpet bum lol. My stomach gurgles and then I know it's a matter of time.

I am also getting the ketosis mouth as well. My mouth tastes disgusting.

All a small price to pay though :)

Fuffs said:
I wondered why I had become a trumpet bum lol. My stomach gurgles and then I know it's a matter of time.

I am also getting the ketosis mouth as well. My mouth tastes disgusting.

All a small price to pay though :)

So funny!! It is a small price to pay. Do it all again in a heart beat any day.

So funny!! It is a small price to pay. Do it all again in a heart beat any day.

Yes farting all day or most of it is common for me i just have to hope it isn't too foul smelling, if i'm at work i look at the kids and say who was that, my boss is very cockly so thats an added bonus when she's being a ***** which is frequent recently. I just plead ignorance and say i don't eat enough to fart so they exclude me from that, so some poor little scroat gets the blame xx:D

chrisa said:
Yes farting all day or most of it is common for me i just have to hope it isn't too foul smelling, if i'm at work i look at the kids and say who was that, my boss is very cockly so thats an added bonus when she's being a ***** which is frequent recently. I just plead ignorance and say i don't eat enough to fart so they exclude me from that, so some poor little scroat gets the blame xx:D

Chrisa!!!! Lmao! That's funny!!!

And yes Cicca, defo all again in a heartbeat too. I am happy to have made this choice :D

oh well i feel a lot better that i am not on my own , thanks twinkle for that post i had a feeling those flax seeds would be a problem, i have also found myself coughing when i am about to fart in a super market or something. the other night i was asleep with my back to the wall and i must of farted really loud and it woke me up with a big jump and i shouted who is it i thought someone was banging on the door. lol. xxx

Last edited:
oh well i feel a lot better that i am not on my own , thanks twinkle for that post i had a feeling those flax seeds would be a problem, i have also found myself coughing when i am about to fart in a super market or something. the other night i was asleep with my back to the wall and i must of farted really load and it woke me up with a big jump and i shouted who is it i thought someone was banging on the door. lol. xxx

Lol Lynda :D:D hope your bedroom walls are up to the job, bahaha xxx :D Jet propulsion was never given as an after effect :) xxx

oh well i feel a lot better that i am not on my own , thanks twinkle for that post i had a feeling those flax seeds would be a problem, i have also found myself coughing when i am about to fart in a super market or something. the other night i was asleep with my back to the wall and i must of farted really load and it woke me up with a big jump and i shouted who is it i thought someone was banging on the door. lol. xxx

lol!!!!!! Sorry, thats hilarious!!!

Lol Lynda :D:D hope your bedroom walls are up to the job, bahaha xxx :D Jet propulsion was never given as an after effect :) xxx

lol!!! I keep thinking I will take off to infinity and beyond like buzz lightyear lol

Back