• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Alcohol Advice

wobblestokie

I am going on holiday soon, I will be about 10 weeks post op by then. Ive not attempted any alcohol as yet and I dont intend to drink like a 'bad un' while away. But I would like to sit in the sunshine with a glass of red wine (it lasted me a good while pre op, so one glass should last me all night)

I appreciate that everyone is different, but any advice gratefully received.

Thanx in advance

xx

Last edited:
I don't know what the guidelines towards alcohol are for plication. But personally if it were me, I'd give it a miss at 10 weeks out. Just to be on the safe side. Your insides are still healing xx

Thanks for that Paula.

I have in my head. Dont know if Ive been told/read it/heard it, that I need to wait 6 months before alcohol, but really dont know, maybe I have dream't it, who knows.....lol !!

Im happy to wait until the time is right, maybe other wrappers will be along soon with more advice.

Thank you

xx

I am a wrapper and was advised to avoid it. I am a year out and have not touched it. But, I don't need dutch courage for a good time. At the end of the day it's your body. But, 10weeks is not that long.

Thanks for that snow white. I dont need it for Dutch courage, just to enjoy a good wine with dinner.

Think Ill stay away from my wine for a while yet!! lol

Btw - Excellent weight loss, well done!!

xx

Thanks for that snow white. I dont need it for Dutch courage, just to enjoy a good wine with dinner.

Think Ill stay away from my wine for a while yet!! lol

Btw - Excellent weight loss, well done!!

xx

I'll probably get slated from the purists on here but I had a glass of wine at about 9 weeks out, with my dieticians knowledge, for a special holiday I went on. I was told it would do me no harm given a plication is a purely restrictive procedure, but to watch the calories .... Have a great holiday xx

Thanks for that Gilly, I have already decided to be a good girl and stay away from wine for a little longer. Maybe I would be fine, maybe I wouldnt, but as I dont need it, Ill stay away.

Thanks for your reply tho'

xx

Hi! Not sure if you've been on your hols yet!?! I tried a glass of wine a few weeks back (after about 12 weeks post surgery) and felt completely fine. I also went out on Saturday for the first time since last November and had a few drinks with my friends. (About 3 glasses) and I felt absolutely fine then too. I just took it easy, spent a long time With each glass and had a bloody good night out!!! It is entirely up to you what you do Hun!! If you want a nice glass of red with your meal on holiday then give it a try! Just drink slowly and see how you feel!! Oh, and my karaoke voice is 1000x better after a glass of wine I assure you!!! Lol. Xx

Excuse my naivety (is that even a word) but wouldn't post op alcohol be fine? If a leak test has been done and it's ok wouldn't alcohol also be alright as it's not going to leak into your body? I thought alcohol would only be a no no because its detrimental to weight loss?

Again apologies If I sound ignorant... (I have a feeling I'm going to get my head bitten off by a certain moderator..)

Excuse my naivety (is that even a word) but wouldn't post op alcohol be fine? If a leak test has been done and it's ok wouldn't alcohol also be alright as it's not going to leak into your body? I thought alcohol would only be a no no because its detrimental to weight loss?

Again apologies If I sound ignorant... (I have a feeling I'm going to get my head bitten off by a certain moderator..)

I'm with you on this one Libby. I am certainly hoping to still enjoy an alcoholic drink and I believe the only reason it would be a no no is because of the effect it could have on weight loss! So if I do have an alcoholic drink I will keep that in mind and maybe do some extra exercise to burn it off! Also just to add I think some people say no because it can affect you quicker than prior to op so again will take it slow and steady to begin with!

Check with your provider as mine (very reputable private and NHS surgeon) said I was fine to have a small amount 6 weeks out, and I had a bypass.
As it happened I really didn't feel like drinking until week 10, but was fine when I did.
I would enjoy a little glass of red on your holibobs. Xxx

For me it's like asking if I can still have McDonald's...Yes of course I can, but is it a good idea? Not really.
But, everyone is different, you need to follow your surgeons advice.

Back from holiday and I decided not to have any wine, it was actually no big deal and I really didnt feel like a glass!!!

I guess if and when I want one, Ill have one!!

Thanks to everyone for the response's

xx

Back