• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Alcohol, tablets after bypass

Miss Tickle

Hiya,
I take quite a lot of medication, some of which I hope I won't need for long post op. I've seen on here that tablets can be replaced with liquid medicine. Is this just at first or do we have to have liquid replacements instead of tablets forever? I have very very bad memories of lots of foul tasting, slimy textured medicine as a child and the thought makes me wretch. :cry:(sorry for being graphic)

Also- is alcohol a no no forever. I only drink about 2 units amonth but would like to know anyway.:)

hi tablets are same as usual after initial soreness has gone.
Alcohol is fine in moderation but its supposed to get you drunk alot quicker. I havent had any since by bypass.

good luck

I am taking tablets now, and have been since about week 2. But it's best to ask your team what they suggest. I have been OK with alcohol since week 6, but again check with your provider.:7834:

I was back on solid tablets within days it just depends on how you are with the swallowing but some tablets are a no-no because of the way they pass through your system , its always best to check with your provider. As with alcohol everyone is different again and my dr says is fine from 3 months post bypass but some drs say 12 months some say never, i can now drink a small glass of wine no problem but any more than that i feel tad drunk lol im a cheap date now, again just ask what your dr advisers x

Hi Miss Tickle

I'm two weeks post op Bypass and was advised by the hospital that I only needed liquid medication whilst I'm on liquids only, which for me is 3 weeks from surgery. They said that once I start on puree I can take my tables as normal.

Can't wait as most of mine don't come in liquid form so I'm having to crush them and drink the foul tasting solution!:eek:

Gail

Thanks everyone.
(Poor you Gail! I'm a real wimp with medicine tastes.)
The more I'm on this site, the more I learn and the more my fears subside.
x

I was given IV paracetamol on the day of my surgery and then the next day they gave me tablets. I was a bit wary about taking the big paracetamols they gave me at first but have had no problems.
My dietician has advised no alcohol for four months, i'm not a big drinker so i will wait the full term but i know that many people drink again a bit earlier

I take a cocktail of tablets for High Blood Pressure, and have never stopped, even the day after my bypass, the surgeon was encouraging me to continue to keep taking them, and I have had no problems.

To be honest I'd rather take liquid meds as I really struggle to take tablets, which is half the reason I end up missing so many doses as I just can't face taking them! :eek:

I can see it becoming an even bigger problem post-op as I need to eat something immediately after taking them to stop them sticking in my throat.

The only tablets I take are the ones to help with my bypass, I take lansoprazole which is disolvable, calcichew which is chewable and a multivit. I moved to a solid multivit at about 4 weeks ish post op, and had the bassets chewable (jelly) ones for the first 4 weeks.

As for alcohol, WM advise 12 months, but I had my first drink at Christmas when I was 4 months post op. I now enjoy the occasional glass of wine with no adverse affects whatsoever, but havent tested myself as far as trying to get drunk or anything.

I was on solid tablets two days after my op (and big ones at that). They were hard to take and I would have to take them standing up to make sure they went down.

As for the drink, well I think I might stay clear of that, being Irish one is never enough anyway lol

glad i found this post lol
I have been wondering about the alcohol question too, i know it is supposed to make you drunk a lot quicker but i am worried more about the sugar content in a lot of drinks.

Are there any particular drinks that cause problems for people?
Also mixers...i used to be a JD & Coke kinda girl but am guessing now coke allowed after due to the fizziness.

Back