• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here here too - after all all we want is a normal life to enjoy now we've took action to lose the excess weight. I'm still looking forward to the odd glass of wine when I go out - in moderation of course - hate hangovers - I just won't ever be drinking the 20 bottles of blue WKD I used to which was one of my bad habits in gaining the weight. :)

And if you've all read the replys, noone has advocated abstinance. We've all said, by all means, have a drink, but that much is a bad idea. I don't particularly care what the OP does as I knew when I posted she would ignore it. But I hope like hell someone else reading this post recognises that actually just because she got away with it, doesn't mean they will. Posts like this can be dangerous - people can get hurt.

Jeez you're all so judgmental. She's a grown up setting out HER experience and that's all.

This subject will always get very mixed and very passionate responses.

To the OP - the thing is 'some' people may read this and think its ok to do as you did, which I know is not what you are saying by the way. When in reality they could find themselves in a very different situation as a result.

I'm a long termer and I have read posts from bypassers a fair way out post op who have had a couple of drinks and have not remembered how they got home. And as Wendy said some people have really hit the bottle and become alcohol dependent.

No one is saying don't drink but people should be aware that if they drank pre op - post op alcohol can have a very different and sometimes adverse effect on you. Just as no one is judging (in my opinion anyway) its slightly suprising to some to read that someone so soon post op would drink that much - even if it was a one off.

Some would advice to try a drink at home first to see how it effects you, while others will abstain for the year as advised or permenantly.

Everyone has choices and people may not always agree with yours.

Stay safe and play nice peeps ;) x

Being nearly 2 1/2 years since my bypass,my experience is this.....I hate the feeling of alcohol now!
It takes approx 5/10 minutes to go to my head and make me feel tipsy!
Don't like the feeling one little bit,I think it can be dangerous when it gets into your system this quick.

Surely 10 shots would floor anyone ?? Or maybe I just not one that needs to drink yo enjoy myself on a night out? If i have 1/2 glass wine it hits me.
But more than anything I feel privileged
To have had my bypass and would not do ANYTHING crazy like drinking 10 shots on a nite out. As I said I don't need the alcohol to enjoy myself
Hope that this is not too negative for you but I feel for all the pre oppers and people that can't get this op done when I hear of others abusing the tools that they have been given ie the bypass etc, for a healthier life style

Here here too - after all all we want is a normal life to enjoy now we've took action to lose the excess weight. I'm still looking forward to the odd glass of wine when I go out - in moderation of course - hate hangovers - I just won't ever be drinking the 20 bottles of blue WKD I used to which was one of my bad habits in gaining the weight. :)

I haven't read this whole thread-alcohol discussions are always controversial but your comment about hating hangovers caught my eye. I think there can't be many worse feelings than a really bad hangover and I'm sure I read somewhere that not only does alcohol get into our systems quicker, the 'nice' effect is more short lived and we get hangovers really quickly too ! I'm talking real quick-like an hour or so. The thought of that is a real deterrent to me.
Another comment that got my attention ( sorry can't remember who made the point) was that we can't be sure how alcohol will affect us post op. This is so true but applies to other stuff too. I decided to have a 'treat' earlier this evening and had a cookie ( ducks as expecting to be told off !!!) and OMG- my body sure as hell did not react by making me writhe in pain and throw my guts up coz of half a bakery cookie ( only got as far as half before the evil started!!). The point is though, that I have had at least half a cookie before-and was fine. I think the same is true of alcohol- one time you can have some and be fine, and another be very not fine. So whatever your vice ( cookies , Jack Daniels, pocheen...) be careful out there folks
xxx

After her response to minoots, I'm not even sure this is true. I teach teenagers with more maturity. in response to vespa.

After her response to minoots, I'm not even sure this is true. I teach teenagers with more maturity. in response to vespa.

Totally agree Yvessa.... Obviously we all have different views on alcohol consumption, but to take the matter of cross addiction lightly is very very silly.... The simple fact is that we are all addicts where food is concerned, or we wouldnt have needed such radical surgical intervention to change our eating habits, so transferring that addiction to alcohol is a REAL danger, and the fact this lady can drink 10 JD and cokes in an evening without falling over says to me that she is used to alcohol, whereas I for one would be flat on my back after a couple of shots of pretty much any spirit I think. I was working out the calories in 10 shots of spirits and its over 800! Thats another very good reason for us to give alcohol a pretty wide birth I would have thought. And before anyone shouts back at me for being judgmental, I am not!! I am just stating facts, and commenting on how serious a problem addiction transfer is...
Good luck with your weightloss Clar, I hope you do well, but my advice to you would be to not get lulled into a false sense of security where alcohol is concerned... Most alcoholics will argue the point with you that "they are fine and don't have a problem" xxx

Double yawn!

I must admit though, don't try jack Daniels on your cornflakes! Ugh!

Come on peeps lighten up!

It's an interesting thread- I don't drink alcohol but I'm sure as an adult one can know their limits- how come it doesn't affect you clar so soon after the bypass? Not in judgemental way(I'm having a sleeve) just curious isn't it just a small pouch you have now so where did it go?!!

clar01 said:
Double yawn!

I must admit though, don't try jack Daniels on your cornflakes! Ugh!

Come on peeps lighten up!

To be honest clar01, I think your attitude is disgusting. People who reply to this thread are just expressing their opinion, the same as you are. There is no need for you to be so rude.

Everybody is entitled to an opinion. You don't have to agree or disagree with it. If you didn't want so many shocked replies, maybe you shouldn't have posted about such a subjective topic.

Everyone has choices and people may not always agree with yours.

Stay safe and play nice peeps ;) x

Further to my previous post, this thread has now run its course.

There is no value to keeping it open only for people to add to the agree / disagree argument.

Therefore I am locking the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back