• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Am I normal?!?!?!

mintball

I know no two people are the same but i thought that instead of worrying about it, I'd ask you guys.

I'm 4 weeks post-op bypass and this is how my weight loss has gone

1 weeks pre-op lost 8lbs
Week 1 lost 6lbs
Week 2 lost 5lbs
Week 3 lost 3lbs
Week 4 Lost 2lb

So I've lost a total of 16lb in 4 weeks since op but ots tailing off when I'm quite active and mobile now. I do still have quite a healthy appetite compared to what I've been reading. I went out for sea last night and managed to eat 2 sea bass fillets, a bit of veg and one boiled potato. I know that before hand i could have eaten that five times over so I'm not too worried but just really needed to check in with you lot to maybe put my mind at rest.

What is an average amount to eat at my stage? I think maybe i'm not eating enough at mealtimes and therefore getting hungry before i should...oh I don't know, I'm a bit confuddled x x x

Hi Lisa

Nope there's no way your normal ;)

Seriously your eating more than i could 4 weeks post op ! but as you say we are all different, i wouldn't worry about your weight lose as it will stabilise over time and will find its own pattern, i've found that mine has become erratic lately, 3lbs last week and only 1lb this week ! and thats despite more exercise and healthier eating. At my stage now i have to be careful to enough calories a day to prevent famine mode, otherwise my body stops burning fat ! I also have to make sure my meals contain harder foods as i now find that softer foods dont fill me as much an di get hungry again quicker.

But your doing ok for 4 weeks post op, your eating, have no pain or issues related to the op, and if your able to eat out - so things are getting back to normal, and with your secret weapon will be able to continually lose weight ;)

Lisa we have already discussed this but I wanted to use the new smiley so imagine its me telling you to stop worrying :copon:love the way it gives a punch lol..god I am so easily pleased.....xx

spoke to my hubby about my worries and he said to stop fretting, I ate in total a forkful of leeks,a new boiled spud about the size of a ping pong ball and the fillets were so thin thant if i'd taken the flesh of it and blended it, it wouldn't have filled an egg cup!!!! I think its more to do with how i'm looking at the food and cos i was expecting after the op to take two mouthfuls of something and be stuffed. I've been very lucky, i've nver dumped....yet and never been sick.....yet so i'm not pushing things too much.

Probably wouldn't have even bothered me if it weren't for the fact the weight is slowing down already x x x

HiYa Mintball,
This is how I have done so far, for you to compare, Like you say everyone is different, But just thought it might help you a bit,

1st Dec 2008 217lbs Pre Op Diet Lost 5lbs

6th Dec Operation 212lbs

Week 1..... 11lb loss

Week 2..... 4lb loss

Week 3..... 3lb loss

Week 4..... 4lb loss

Week 5.....4lb loss

Week 6.....3lb loss

Week 7.....2lb loss

Week 8.....5lb loss

Week 9.....3lb loss

Week 10.....5lb loss

Week 11.....No loss :mad:
As you can see I lost nothing last week, but it could be because I have had a couple of 5lb losses, so I am thinking I will probably even out now to about a 2lb loss a week, I think You are doing great!!
At 4 weeks for me I had lost 21lbs so its not much more than you.But like i say I lost nothing last week, but really and idealy I would like a loss evey week instead of no loss and maybe a lesser loss every week, as it can be disheartening when you don't lose, I think we should reflect on the previous weeks, to realise we have done well. x

Last edited:
Lisa everyones weight loss slows down at times it is perfectly normal I promise....this can be a downside of the forum when you see someone in a similar position to you losing weigh at what appears to be a quick rate....somewhere along the line they will slow. You are doing fine and the more you fret the worse it will be so STOP FRETTING....it will still come off there is no way in the world it wont give it time...xx

Hey stop fretting, just after Christmas i actually put 1lb back on :eek: i was shocked and horrified about it, how could this be happening, i'd actually hit my first plateau, which was my bodies way of saying 'hey slow down a bit' - we will all go through it at some point no matter how little we eat.

Lisa your not in this situation yet, and there's techniques to use when it does happen to break it, your weight lose has slowed because your body is getting used to the lack of calories its getting. And you need to remember we all lose differently, thankfully men lose faster than women :D but in the end it all evans out !

thanks guys, i think i knew this, i just needed to hear it x x x

Hi Lisa I went through exactly the same thing at your stage - worrying about whether it would work, was I eating too much etc etc. My weight loss really varies and I find it helps me if I only get weighed once a week so I'm concentrating more on healthy eating rather than getting fixated on weight loss. I am about 8 weeks post op and have lost 2 stones in that time (plus a stone on the pre op diet). I find my weight loss has increased since I started on 'real' food which I fine weird as I feel am eating a lot more! My 'target' weight loss is 2 lbs a week - any more is a bonus. Your weight loss is fab so don't worry any more!

you are more or less in line with me...and when i mentioned it to my gp (as i too was worried the loss was not great...see below) he said everyone is so different and even though we have had surgery to help us achieve our end goal, extremely rapid weight loss is never a good thing for the body and also it means we (hopefully) will be trimming and toning at the same time so wont have too much spare skin!!!

pre op i lost 23lbs
post op (at 5 week check up) i had lost 15lbs

Last edited:
love the tortoise - better than a hare!!
I haven't told many people so it's important to me that I don't lose it at a mad rate as people will think I am ill!!

Yeah I only get weighed once a week and the week i lost 2lb was my "monthly visitor". So with a bit of luck, that will reflect on saturday for my weekly weigh in x x x

I'm happy with 2lb a week as long as i'm not sabotaging things for myself ( i really don't think that now, i think i'm setting my standards too high thats all) which is why i shout out to you guys, cos its good to know its happened to all of us but in many different ways x x x

I think seeing how successful everyone on here has been is absolutely inspirational and very motivational, but sometimes on a bad day, its easy to look and think, everyone else is doing so much better and its not that i'm competitive, I was just scared i was doing something wrong. I'm over my "episode" now though and am back on track thanks to peoples advice x x x

thanks x x x

Glad to hear it Lisa! I know just what you mean when you see other peoples' massive losses and wondering about doing it 'right' but we all have to find our own way of doing this, of keeping healthy and keeping motivated, and I suspect no two ways will be alike! Keep up the good work xx

Back