• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Any help greatly appreciated.

flojomo

Hi I have been trying to get a gastric bypass on the nhs since June 2012, I am based in northern Ireland and despite having a bmi of over 60 and a lot of physical health issues I found out today I was turned down at the last board meeting. The trusts solicitor rang me with the decision after I had to write to the health minister and put in a complaint via the patient client council. I had been passed by the diabetes doctor, and dietitian and phycologist back in 2012 and was told in December 2012 an extra contractual referral would have to be made as there is no funding in northern Ireland for any gastric bypass surgery.

Over the last six months my health as become so bad I am bed bound. I can't walk without help and support and have now been given a wheelchair.
My pain consultant wrote a letter of support last year and he basically told them if I was refused the surgery they were signing my death certificate.
My Gp also wrote a letter of support.

I had also wrote a letter to the health minister asking for his support, took 6 months but I got a reply from his secretary stating the NICE regulations and saying I had to be in the top 5% of the population with the same problems. My pain consultant said I was in the top 1%.

If you've made it this far thank you.
Today I got another phone call from the trusts solicitor letting me know he had requested all the information that was before the trust and when they made their decision. Turns out all that they based their decision on was my original gp's letter requesting the surgery. They had none of the other doctors letters of support. I have spend the last 4 hours talking to doctors Secretaries asking for letters of support.
I was asked by my Gp to do up a list of all my health issues and how they effect my daily life. He wants me to write a letter to the Trust and explain how my life has changed how a typical week is for me and how much help I receive.

My question is this. have any of you had to fight for the funding of your surgery? how did you do it? Would you have any information or guide lines that would help. Any help or support would be much appreciated.

Any additional information has to be with him on Wednesday by lunchtime as the board meet again. I think it was left this late on purpose so I couldn't get any supporting letters from my consultants by Wednesday.
I have spent 3 hours crying but then I just decided to stop the tears and try my hardest to get my life back.

I am so sorry. I have no words of guidance etc but couldn't read and not reply.

I really really hope you get some positive news soon.

Xx

Last edited:
Feeling for you, only had to get a back up letter from my knee surgeon to help my case, so not been through what you are going through. Get the letters you can from who you can in the time that you have before they meet again, got everything crossed for you x. Don't give up x

Firstly can I just how amazingly strong you have been to keep fighting so hard! Secondly, I do think the log is a good idea and it can't hurt if you have a carer to get them to do the same.

Other than that all I can do is cross my fingers and wish you luck

So sorry to hear what you have been through....Gather all the evidence they ask you for and present it to them....I hope it all works out for you mate...All the best.. x

Hi Flomojo,

I am also from NI and was referred for surgery by my GP. The response wasn't good just like in your case, declined due to zero funding. I was devastated like you and complained to the trust. Their response was the same and stated that special cases may be reviewed by the board.

I then ended up very sick with gallbladder issues and subsequent gallbladder removal. This put a hold on me following it up with my GP. When I was back on my feet, I spoke with my GP again who agreed to try again with supporting information for the board. I found it very difficult emotionally to start that process due to my previous weight loss attempts and surgery refusal. I got all the information together for him and as I was about to send it off but I just knew I couldn't wait on the NHS any longer or bear another refusal.

I decided to have surgery privately in the Czech Republic but it has put quite a strain on my finances. Would this be an option for you? I promise it is money well spent. I will be paying this off for a bit but I'm very happy with my decision so far.

You are very strong and I know from reading your post that you have the strength to see this through to the end if private surgery isn't an option for you. The fact that you have so many health professionals behind you too speaks volumes, please stay positive. I know it didn't work for me but I personally couldn't wait any longer.

Definitely write down a list of how your weight affects you, write it all down, even the smallest of things. No one can dispute how you feel. If you need any support from a local person, please do get in touch :) xx

Wishing you all the luck in the world, I have a good feeling about you! keep us posted on any developments x

so sorry you are going through this and wishing you all the best

Heya,

Just wanted to drop by and say that I'm thinking about you today, really hope the board meeting this evening has better news for you!!xx

Just read your post. I'm sorry but I have no advice to offer that would help your situation. But I wish you all the best and hope things work out for you.

Back