• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Any idea how many calories your supposed to eat after bypass?

Snow Angel

:cry:Hi Everyone, I know we are not supposed to be counting calories as such but im having trouble keeping food down at the moment and am probably only managing about 300 cals a day but im not losing weight just inches. I know this is not good and ive got an appointment to go back to clinic but just wanted to know if anyone could shed some light on whats a "healthy" limit as it were. I feel crap and so tired i know im not having enough but any help would be gratfully appreciated.
Many thanks
Jayne

Hi Jayne
I`m sorry your not having a good time hun . It says on the booklet I have between 800-1200 cals per day and remember to drink 6-8 glasses of water and low cal beverages each day . Your under eating a lot are you having your protein it says your to have 60g per day that's why your so tired Take care .
Margaret xx

Hi Jayne
I`m sorry your not having a good time hun . It says on the booklet I have between 800-1200 cals per day and remember to drink 6-8 glasses of water and low cal beverages each day . Your under eating a lot are you having your protein it says your to have 60g per day that's why your so tired Take care .
Margaret xx

Thank you for this Margaret, im certainly undereating at the moment but not intentionally. I am not getting 60gms of protein either :( thats why i feel crap but feeling sick all the time certainly doesnt help.
Our leaflet doesnt say how much your supposed to eat or how many calories etc, thank you for that :)

:cry:Hi Everyone, I know we are not supposed to be counting calories as such but im having trouble keeping food down at the moment and am probably only managing about 300 cals a day but im not losing weight just inches. I know this is not good and ive got an appointment to go back to clinic but just wanted to know if anyone could shed some light on whats a "healthy" limit as it were. I feel crap and so tired i know im not having enough but any help would be gratfully appreciated.
Many thanks
Jayne

Hiya snow anngel i have pasted some info that has been very useful to me hope it is for you.

Hi there, I was given this simple guide by my surgeon and dietician.

Whatever the size plate, on a main meal, the foods groups should divided as I can only advise from the gastric bypass point of view, so keep in mind that it may be different for you as a sleever.

Calories per day:
In the first 3 months around 400-600 calories per day which 50% should be protein. From 3-6 months 500-700 cals per day, again 50% protein. From 6months to 1 year post-op, 800-1000 cal per day. Between year one and two you should be able to reach a calorie intake of 1200 per day. Again at every stage your protein should be 50% of your diet until you reach over 1000 cals then your protein should be about 40% of your diet.

Having a look at your diet you are eating carbs at every meal and you are eating an empty snack of snack-a-jacks which gives you zero nutrition. Try eating a protein rich snack (cheese, nuts, sliced meats) and carbs only once per day. You are also low on veg, add a salad if you can. Also a piece of fruit is not a substantial enough breakfast, you should aim for 100-150 cals per meal and 50-100 cals per snack at your stage.

As for fat, I was told no more than 5g/100g serving as a fat guideline. Some people are more tolerant to fat but you should monitor your intake until you get the hang of it.

Hope that helps,
Nic

Janey :):):):):)

Hiya snow anngel i have pasted some info that has been very useful to me hope it is for you.

Hi there, I was given this simple guide by my surgeon and dietician.

Whatever the size plate, on a main meal, the foods groups should divided as I can only advise from the gastric bypass point of view, so keep in mind that it may be different for you as a sleever.

Calories per day:
In the first 3 months around 400-600 calories per day which 50% should be protein. From 3-6 months 500-700 cals per day, again 50% protein. From 6months to 1 year post-op, 800-1000 cal per day. Between year one and two you should be able to reach a calorie intake of 1200 per day. Again at every stage your protein should be 50% of your diet until you reach over 1000 cals then your protein should be about 40% of your diet.

Having a look at your diet you are eating carbs at every meal and you are eating an empty snack of snack-a-jacks which gives you zero nutrition. Try eating a protein rich snack (cheese, nuts, sliced meats) and carbs only once per day. You are also low on veg, add a salad if you can. Also a piece of fruit is not a substantial enough breakfast, you should aim for 100-150 cals per meal and 50-100 cals per snack at your stage.

As for fat, I was told no more than 5g/100g serving as a fat guideline. Some people are more tolerant to fat but you should monitor your intake until you get the hang of it.

Hope that helps,
Nic

Janey :):):):):)

Thank you Janey for re posting this for me, I dont have much of an idea from Walsall about calories etc just to eat six times a day! I would love to be able to do that but I cant at the moment. Just managed a bit of fish for tea, see if that stays down!!

Thank you for replying to me xx

Thank you Janey for re posting this for me, I dont have much of an idea from Walsall about calories etc just to eat six times a day! I would love to be able to do that but I cant at the moment. Just managed a bit of fish for tea, see if that stays down!!

Thank you for replying to me xx

They don't give you much info from walsall i felt exactly the same and i cannot eat 6 meals a day i have 4 small meals a day between 500 and 600 cals a day. I am trying really hard to eat more protein but i cannot eat to much meat at the moment so i eat more yoghurts and low fat soft and hard cheeses. i have about 45 to 50 of protein a day and i know its not the magic 60 plus but am getting there. Best of luck for Monday and let me know how you get on will worry otherwise Janey :):):):):):)

They don't give you much info from walsall i felt exactly the same and i cannot eat 6 meals a day i have 4 small meals a day between 500 and 600 cals a day. I am trying really hard to eat more protein but i cannot eat to much meat at the moment so i eat more yoghurts and low fat soft and hard cheeses. i have about 45 to 50 of protein a day and i know its not the magic 60 plus but am getting there. Best of luck for Monday and let me know how you get on will worry otherwise Janey :):):):):):)

Thanks Janey, I will try and eat some yoghurt and cheese. I have to be careful with cheese as it makes me sick *what doesn't*!!
Can I just ask that when you had this trouble did you stop losing weight at all? I haven't lost hardly anything in the past few weeks. Im sure its because my body is in starvation mode, need to get it out of that!!! Any ideas??
I will update you when I get back from Walsall but im not going until 3pm so don't worry if its late :):):):) xxx

Back