• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

any one else had this much trouble ?

debbieb

hi,
its been 6 weeks now since my bypass, and i am still stuck on pureed food, coz anything else makes me sick...
i am getting very frustrated , it's no fun just eating yogurts, ready brek and soup !...i dared to pinch a piece of cooked carrot on sunday when doing dinner, and yes, i chewed it to death before i swallowed it, but then paid the price by being sick for the rest of the day..
i was suppose to have a barium swallow last week, but due to a mix up i am still waiting..must confess getting very frustrated, even ready brek is now starting to upset my stomach , and i've been eating it for the last 4 weeks !!!!:cry::cry:

It's quite common to suffer with adhesions and strictures across the new stoma outlet from the pouch to the intestines, which shows itself by being unable to move on from purees. It is easy to fix though by doing a balloon stretch via an endoscope. Barium swallow or endoscopy will diagnose. Good luck, keep nagging for the rescheduled barium.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Shelbell has just said what i was gonna say lol... im sure that will help xx i was on pureed until 6 weeks post op as that is what my guidlines said i had to do xx

I think this is pretty normal for some people. I was quite lucky and have been able to eat quite well except for bread and eggs. If you've been sick you're pouch may be slightly swollen so try fluids like soups and milky drinks for a couple of days till it settles a bit. Introduce solid foods starting with thicker purees and then going on to very mashed up foods like fish pie and shepherds pie, mashed potato with lots of gravy etc.

Hope you're feeling a bit better soon and that your tests happen soon and it's all sorted out for you.

Kate x

I know I'm pre op but I've been told I should try stay on the pureed stage for 6 weeks before soft stage anyway so I wouldn't worry hun Xx

Sent from my HTC Hero using WLSurgery

Hiya. 6 weeks is still pretty early to determine if possible stricture or problem. I'm 4 months and 2 weeks out and at 6 weeks, I was same as you. Ready brek had to be super thin and no lumpy soups. Anything thicker wouldn't go down. It's horrid. After 3 months of still being like that (they say allow 12 weeks) my bariatric team then looked at problems. The first being the mental issue. Had I put a mental block on solids, etc. at 4 months and 1 week I had an endoscopy and yes I had a stricture. This was last week Wednesday. Guess what? Since then I eat solids. Real food! Whoop whoop! And not been sick or got stuck once! Small portions, as expected, but now I am eating.
This may be the case for you, it may not. Other than your swallow test, which will confirm the bypass has worked, your bariatric team will allow some time before investigating structures, etc. you need ample time to heal alone. Everybody's body is unique. 12 weeks a good bench mark before worry can set in.
Look at my previous posts though, I know exactly how you feel. All I wanted was food. And could barely manage any.
Don't stress at this stage about protein in take. Your body has storage and trust me you'll have a few reserves to last a while.
Shirt term fixes, taste varieties that helped me at this stage:
Carrs Meltz crackers - diff flavours, literally melts on your mouth. Hence the name Carrs Meltz. Spread some laughing cow, or peanut butter (smooth) if you can stomach it. Goes down well and has protein.
Believe it or not at the stage you are now I started having cheesy wotsits. Not a long term fix but short term it gave me a taste variety and cos my general food intake was so low, the 95 calories in a multipack, didn't do harm. And gave me a feeling of indulgence.
Just be careful though long term wotsits are not a fix! Empty calories and zero goodness. But for now, they might offer you comfort.
Babybel cheese went down a treat for meal. As also melts. Small bites and breaks between. Even if you only manage half a one at first. It doesn't stick, and has protein. Have the other half later. Soon that will increase to a whole babybel and other cheeses. Even if possible stricture.
If you can handle milk, milky coffees, milky teas, latte's - get them down. Protein in the milk. At 6 weeks I couldn't stomach milk but at 8 weeks I could.
Low fat low sugar ambrosia custard.
Low sugar angel delight.
All this will help and give you variety.
Please though, these are short term solutions, some of these foods are 'slider' foods and not ideal long term. But until you are healed and possible investigation done, they will give comfort and not do any harm short term.
Also if you are like I was 2 LTR liquid at this stage seems near right impossible. Keep at it, it increases and becomes easier.
Read some of my previous posts, I had same /similar issues and got some awesome advice on here. That you can use now too.
Meanwhile, feel free to pm me if anything else I can help on, questions etc.
Stay strong x

Gasp! Essay over!

thank you everybody for your advice it is appriciated,
i was told by derby doyal that i should be on liquids for 2 weeks, pureed for 1, mashed for 1, and then on to solid food...isn't it amazing how advice varies from hospital to hospital,
thank you ryanrara, you sound like exactly what is happening to me, it's not nice is it ?....i have tried wotsits, but they didnt work, but yesterday i found that chewed up french fries does work for me, so at last something different to eat !!, milk is a no no for me, and i am slowly going off ready brek, so i am begining to get pretty desperate now, and getting totally fed up with the whole thing..

Debbie have you tried reduced sugar baked beans for breakfast... i had baked beans with grated low fat cheddar for a few weeks... i now have beans on toast for breakfast x

I had loads of trouble moving through the food stages no matter what I had I had a nightmare with- do consult with ur team... But for me it just took extra time and now 6montha out I have hardly any issues

Hope ur ok xxx

We are all different I moved on to mashed a week early as advise by GP as pureed made me feel so sick. I am almost at the end of my 4 weeks of mashed (5 if you include my extra week) and am to go on to solids but as I still have problems eating. I am to stay on mashed for a couple more weeks till I can make 5-6 'meals' a day have currently only been on 2 but working on it.
I find I go off food very quick I like it one day and the next it makes me feel sick. The best advice is leave it a few weeks then try again as our bodies are ever changing after this op.
Good luck and hope you find something you can get in x

Back