• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone 10 years + post op around?

TurtleGal

So I was looking around online and wanted to try to get both sides of the story with the weight loss surgery. I Googled lots of different things but at one point tried "Don't have gastric sleeve" I found this: suethsayings: gastric sleeve story

Holy moly, she's scared the crap out of me now!! I wonder how much truth their is to this silence conspiracy she's talking about. I now am worried that maybe some of what she is saying is true, that when I read the forums and hear from people about their surgery that they are just a few years out and are still in the 'honeymoon phase', that we don't hear from the people who had it years and years ago who may be miserable now.

Oh on the one hand it feels a lot like fearmongering but on the other hand I can't help but be worried. ARGGGGH!!

Well it's too late for me, lol two days post sleeve lol..

Looks like some one is anti wls!!

You hit the nail on the head when you called it fearmongering :( We all do our research before taking this life altering step of MAJOR surgery, but what you need to ask yourself is 'Where will I be in 10years without it' . If you are doing it for purely cosmetic/vanity reasons & have absolutely no health issues, then maybe it is not time for you yet, but for me I am not sure I would have had 10yrs without it. So really quite an easy decision for me. There is a lot of rubbish out there on the net so maybe you would be better addressing your concerns to your surgeon or bariatric team to get the real facts. Good Luck with whatever you decide xxx :):)

You hit the nail on the head when you called it fearmongering :( We all do our research before taking this life altering step of MAJOR surgery, but what you need to ask yourself is 'Where will I be in 10years without it' . If you are doing it for purely cosmetic/vanity reasons & have absolutely no health issues, then maybe it is not time for you yet, but for me I am not sure I would have had 10yrs without it. So really quite an easy decision for me. There is a lot of rubbish out there on the net so maybe you would be better addressing your concerns to your surgeon or bariatric team to get the real facts. Good Luck with whatever you decide xxx :):)
Well said I know I havent had my surgery yet but I also know that I want to grow really old with my husband, see my children married, have grandchildren and as few debilitating illnesses as possible in my old age x

Hi

I dont think there are any members who are over 10 years post op, there are a few who are 5+ though.

This forum has only been around a few years (as WLSurgery.com) so there is a larger number of posters who are around the 2-3 year mark. We do however get longer term post oppers dropping by for support or to indeed offer it.

Im not sure if the author of the article has had surgery or is just very much against it? there are positive comments from longer term WLS'ers on there too though.

As Twinkle said though 10 years is a long time to remain obese and even if you have no other health problems related to that now, there is a high chance you will in the future.

Yes Im only 2 1/2 years post op (band) but apart from having my daughter its the best thing I ever did. I lost my mum 18 months ago to obesity related illnesses, she helped me to pay for my op so that I didnt end up as she had.

Sleep on it but try and remember why you wanted to do this xx

Now I am hopeless at relaying information so forgive me if I get this wrong. However, I understand that there won't be many gastric sleeve post oppers over 10 year. As it was usually done as a first step to gastric bypass.
I too would love to hear from long term sleevers as that website has scared the bejeebers out of me :(

That's what I was thinking too.. where would I be in 10 years if I DON'T do this. I'm not just wondering about the sleeve 10 years on but all surgeries. I'm wondering what happens with the lap band after 10 years, that thing must need maintenance. What about the bypass, are people still living the same after 10 years (in general I mean). I wonder are these people off living new healthy lives or in hiding like that lady said, because it's not all as great as they thought it'd be after all those years.

She has really scared me...

I am back to wondering if it's all worth it :( they tell you to research while you are waiting but it's beginning to put me off when I see things like that.
Then at the same time I don't want to be fat the rest of my life :( decisions decisions :(

Do you have a support group near you? I am going to one in Sunderland next week. Hoping that actually talking to someone makes it all a bit clearer :)

I am back to wondering if it's all worth it :( they tell you to research while you are waiting but it's beginning to put me off when I see things like that.
Then at the same time I don't want to be fat the rest of my life :( decisions decisions :(
im afraid only you can decide honey, just keep researching and asking any questions you want, good luck :) xxx

Caren said:
im afraid only you can decide honey, just keep researching and asking any questions you want, good luck :) xxx

I know it's just hard. I must admit the only people I talk to about this is on here. It's like a counselling session lol
I am hoping I make some concrete decisions next week at the group :)

I've decided that Sue is just a fearmonger. She lost a lot of weight on her own (112 lbs) and has never had surgery. I'm not sure she really knows people who have had the surgery. She's someone who has gotten something into her head and made a blog to rant about it, there a lot of those people out there.

Also she is only 1 year after losing the weight. I want to see where she is in 3 years time.

ive been reading some of that and it seems to me that she just dismisses claims from people who say that their operation was a success. If anyone can do it on their own then good luck to them. I'm just going to ignore someone who wont listen to other points of view

I agree, she seems to really cut people off at the knees so to speak. She's not interested in any arguments other people have, she is right and that's that.

For me the choice was a no brainer. If you've got a tooth ache you go to get it out yes it's going to hurt later but the pain has gone and it's not going give you your life back. So having the bypass for me was a simple choice, loosing weight and the fat jibes. Stopping the diabetes and high blood pressure and problems that go with that. But most of all being able to do things that thin people take for granted and you have to watch them do or make lame excuses not to do things. Yes it's going to be hard at the beginning but it a small price to pay for what's on the other side. Even the small thing like sitting on a plane and being able to get the tray down and not having to ask for an extention belt. The pros are much greater than the cons. Sit down and think about it for a minute. I watched a girl on YouTube called herecomestrouble88 its enspiring.

Back