• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band Sizes and Capacities.....

Bluebutterflier

Bouncing Bander
Im confused by gastric bands!

On my discharge note It says I have a:
Allergan Lapband (Small) beneath 15ml

When I asked the nurse after my surgery what capacity band I had, she said a 16ml Allergan.

When I asked the Surgeon later when he came to discharge me, he said a 10ml Small Allergan.

So Ive done some investigations online...and Allergan lapbands come in two sizes...

There are two LAP-BAND® models:
AP-Small (APS) maximum fill capacity of 10cc. Used in about 70% of gastric band cases
AP-Large (APL) maximum fill capacity of 14cc. Used in bigger, heavier patients

(Taken from Healthier Weight Website)

Which still makes it confusing as if I have a small band, that would be the 10cc like the surgeon said, but why does it say beneath 15ml making it sound like the 14cc large band that I have? hmmmmm confuzzled!

Maybe it should read 1.5 ml rather than 15 ml, sometimes there is a small amount of liquid already in the band and sometimes the surgeon puts a tiny bit in. I wouldn't worry about it, just wait till your first appointment and then they will have accurate record

After looking into it, it seems I have the Allergan 10ml one...(small one)

Yep, I was also told that when they do the surgery, and look inside, thats when they determine which band you get.

Has anyone else got a different brand, or have we all got an 'Allergan' one in?

Back