• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Christmas Cake

wizzbang

Hi everybody,
Just a quick warning...... CHRISTMAS CAKE.......

I had my bypass in late March and have lost 9 stone BUT even though I consider myself an experienced bypasser who knows my bypass well by now and my limitations and what makes my tummy happy or unhappy I was taken by surprise today by having a massive :eek: reaction :eek: to Christmas cake. Mahoosive big being sick and frothing at the mouth session with yawning, sleepiness, headache and all the other things associated with a real digestive system dump. So BEWARE the dreaded Christmas Cake..... but do have a lovely christmas everybody and take care of yourselves and your new tummies.
Lynne x

Thankfully i dont eat christmas cake. I have since found out that i dont seem to dump, i dont take this as a good thing as it means i have to be extra careful and make wise decisions. I have however tried a homemade mince pie which went down ok.... i was full and over loaded with sugar with less than half of it so i guess that was good.

So I can try some this Christmas I adapted my homemade recipe. I found some lurpac lighter spread (it was the lowest spread I could find), Splenda in stead of sugar, agave syrup instead of treacle, spelt flour instead of plain white (my dad has coeliacs if I'm adapting for me may as well adapt for us both). Now this may not work considering the sugars in the dried fruit but I can try a bit at least. I used Splenda in the marzipan, & limited the amount used to just the top for the marzipan & icing. Only time will tell if I dump or not I altered the Christmas pudding the same way also using vegetable suet rather than normal suet.

Well I HATE fruit cake of any variety so dodged that particular bullet, lol :D:D Hope you enjoy whatever you replace it with now you know it is a no no :):) xx

Well I HATE fruit cake of any variety so dodged that particular bullet, lol :D:D Hope you enjoy whatever you replace it with now you know it is a no no :):) xx

Me too. I hate all fruit cakes -- rich and sickly, and also hate icing and marzipan, and not fond of Xmas Pud either .... I used to think all my weaknesses that got me fat were the savoury treats, but I am partial to a bit of choccy, so I will have to watch choc treats post op. :p:character00115::innocent0001:

what a good recipe penelope,
i love christmas cake and pudding, and chocolate, aaahhh,
i havent had my op yet
but might do one with all the low fat and
suger for me,
trying to be a little good so my pre op diet wont
be that much of a shock. xx

So I can try some this Christmas I adapted my homemade recipe. I found some lurpac lighter spread (it was the lowest spread I could find), Splenda in stead of sugar, agave syrup instead of treacle, spelt flour instead of plain white (my dad has coeliacs if I'm adapting for me may as well adapt for us both). Now this may not work considering the sugars in the dried fruit but I can try a bit at least. I used Splenda in the marzipan, & limited the amount used to just the top for the marzipan & icing. Only time will tell if I dump or not I altered the Christmas pudding the same way also using vegetable suet rather than normal suet.

I have a handful of dried fruit most days and have always been fine, however I dump on fats, not sugars -

It sounds delicious, hope it works for you

This is what is so peculiar about this because I have never, ever liked fruit cake and I dont know why I ate the blinkin' stuff in the first place. I wont be tempted again though lol. Take care everybody and have a lovely christmas. Lynne x

We decided on no Christmas cake ths year and i bought hubby a small pud as i hate it BUT we are going to make the fruit bread from River cottage much lighter and will adjust it as much as i can to cut the cals out. No sweeties in the house so that takes the pressure off and no nuts but one tube of pringles and some quavers but will have some long walks to make sure i don't put back on the weight i have fought so hard to shift :)

We decided on no Christmas cake ths year and i bought hubby a small pud as i hate it BUT we are going to make the fruit bread from River cottage much lighter and will adjust it as much as i can to cut the cals out. No sweeties in the house so that takes the pressure off and no nuts but one tube of pringles and some quavers but will have some long walks to make sure i don't put back on the weight i have fought so hard to shift :)

Nuts are ok lovely, they make a brilliant protein rich snack. Have about 25g of them. I often have a handfull in the evening or when I get in from work for a quick protein shot.

Kate x

I will post op but im avoiding them on my pre pre op diet as once i start i can't put them down :D

Sorry to hear that, sounds like a terrible experience. Haven't dumped and nearly 6 months out but I hve avoided sugary foods. Christmas cake is not something I would have ate before so not tempted but must admit to looking lovingly at a mince pie! Would never eat the whole thing but just one bite!?! No won't attempt it, too scared of dumping.

Emma, weight watchers suggest puff pastry spread with a thin layer of mince rolled and sliced like little pinwheels cooked for 15-20mins at 200degrees. These are 1point.

Now I always believed puff pastry to be rich & high in fat so I'd try the same thing but use filo pastry instead which (I've used for years at home making little mince parcels as my dad has coeliacs) is thinner & lower in fat brushed with milk or egg to give it a lovely golden colour. I'd brush each layer with milk rather than melted butter but perhaps worth a try.

Back