• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Desperate

A.Positive

Hello everyone.

I have always struggled with my weight. After my first child was born I was able to loss a lot by joining a slimming group and was able to keep it off until I have my 2nd and 3rd children.

Since then it has piled on and I have not been able to control it. I suffer with depression and although I do have good days the majority of my life is spend using food to get my mind from A to B. I am 5ft 3 and today I weigh 18 stone and have a bmi of 44.39.

I feel so embrassed. I rarely go anywhere and find that my joints and back are in agony most days. My husband and I have not "been together" for nearly 2 years. I know this is one the reasons why. I can't do much without needing to take little breaks. I am sure many of you have been where I am so I won't go on. I just feel I need help now. This year alone I have joined several slimming clubs, lost 3 stone and piled it back on. Lost 2 stone and then piled it back on. Lost 2.5stone and piled it back on. I am so distraught about this I can't tell you.

My husband has taken to hiding food from me which in itself is just humiliating. I just want to me normal.

I want to go and chat with my GP but I am terrified that I will be laughed out of the door. I can't afford to have a procedure done privately so I thought perhaps I might get some assistance? Does anyone have experience with having a Gastric sleeve on the NHS? What are the steps-from seeing your GP to have the operation? What is the waiting time? Do you think I stand a good chance of getting any help?

I am desperate for help.

Hi, you don't mention if you have any comorbidities. Unfortunately, without them it is highly unlikely that you would get funding, but please don't let that stop you from speaking to a sympathetic doctor.

I went abroad as privately they wanted £10,000 to do it here. Abroad, I got a loan & paid £6500. Nhs said I didn't stand a chance, too young, not fat enough! Starting weight was over 17 stone, I'm 5'4. Xxx

Go and talk to your doctor. I understand how hard it is, it took me 3 months to pluck up the courage to talk to mine. Every day you wait is a day wasted. Do you have diabetes, high blood pressure or anything like that?

Well i think it depends on your area Ilive in the North East and my hospital was SRH. I had no comorbities when i was on my way, it took nearly 2 yrs mind to get to the op but it was over a year in when they decided i may av sleep apnoea, so can be done depends on your doc and there pct good luck and you right lot of us have been in your shoes, go for it xx

Hello again and thank you.

As far as I am aware I have no issues with diabetes, high blood pressure and so on but my Polysystic Ovary Syndrome is directly effected because of my weight.

I have not had a period in 3 years and as a result the lining of my cervix is very thick which can cause cancer.

go talk to your Dr all areas are slightly different and be sure your dr wont laugh you out the door and welcome by the way good luck

Well you do have some medical issue then, its a bargaining chip to use. Go for it don't hang around make an appointment while its strong in your mind talk through the options open to you. Good luck and have a lovely Christmas x

I had pcos and it was counted as a comorbidity. H.owever I also had sleep apnoea which was the decoding factor in my case

i had my sleeve done 2 weeks ago on the NHS. It is not a quick process - it took just over 3 years to get it all sorted however that does include about 16 months when I was messing about after having missed an appt and they threw me off the waiting list.

it is without a doubt the best thing that i've ever done, despite a little post op complication. Please don't hide yourself away, get out and live your life, you have nothing to be embarassed about. Make that appt and I hope that you will report back with some great news soon

xxxx

Hi aposotive! I'd like to say that my story sounds very similar to yours- I managed to lose enough after my first pregnancy but after second and third I just couldn't do it and ended up at 16.5 stone and miserable. I decided to go to my gp even though I was sure he'd say no way and to my surprise he referred me right away and 9 months later I had my sleeve!! I had no other health issues but I also have pcos! I want to tell you to push for this as its life changing and I'm only 4 weeks post op and I'm a happier person and a better mother and wife!! Good luck and keep me posted!

Thank you all so very much!

I will make an appointment tomorrow and see what happens from there. I am so nervous, scared that I will say the "wrong" things. But how can I? Its all the truth.

After your responses I am hopeful!

Thanks again. x

Thank you all so much! You have given me a little bit of hope that I won't be turned away.

I will make an appointment tomorrow and see what happens. I am nervous, scared that I will say the wrong things. But how can it be wrong? Its all the truth.

Thanks again. x

If you're BMI is over 40 then you don't need to have any chronic illnesses to qualify for NHS funded surgery, but it might still be a struggle to get through the maze. First thing to do is find a sympathetic and supportive GP if yours isn't

I also didn't have any co morbidities, and got funding through in just 3 weeks.. It really is very much a post code lottery as to what hoops and how many you have to jump through to get wls... Research your counties PCT guidelines for wls or ask your GP what the criteria for your area is.. Good luck xx

I also didn't have any co morbidities, and got funding through in just 3 weeks.. It really is very much a post code lottery as to what hoops and how many you have to jump through to get wls... Research your counties PCT guidelines for wls or ask your GP what the criteria for your area is.. Good luck xx

Three weeks! :eek: That's amazing! Did you have to jump through any hoops? How long after funding approval did you get your op? x

Pretty amazing yes I agree!! I was so surprised, I thought it would take ages and ages after researching it here on the forums and listening to other people here who had applied for funding.. I got my funding in February and had the bypass on August 9th so not very long at all.. I didn't have to jump through any hoops at all.. I know I was very lucky though, and it really does depend on what county you live in and their individual weight loss surgery policy. I am in Wiltshire and they use the NICE guidlines so I fitted the criteria without any co morbidities...

xx

Amanda I had the same- I'd read so much about funding being accepted and so on so was so surprised when I went to gp he sent letter and then April I had my first appointment and my op was November-didnt have to lose weight before going through and wasn't challenged at all so you're right it must be luck!

Back