• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dolan Park- How does it all work?

Gemby28

Hi all,

This is probably going to sound daft but I wondered if anyone who's had their band at Dolan Park could walk me through exactly what happens... I've seen people mention pre-op blood tests- where/when do these happen? Also heprin injections, pain-killers, barium xrays- all a mystery to me! How do you arrange band-fills and stuff afterwards? Where do you go for fills? Do you meet a dietician or speak on the phone? I live in Suffolk so Dolan Park isn't nearby.

Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions, just think I would feel better if I had an idea of how it'll work in reality... :confused:

Hi Gemby,
They aren't silly questions when you dont know what to expect so dont worry! I had my band on 17th August, had to arrive at 10am. Reported to reception and had a blood test in a consultation room in reception area, i guess this is to check you're not anaemic etc, and they do your blood pressure.
I didn't know what time I was booked in for at this point. I was shown to my room just after 10 by one of the nurses, you'll have a single room with ensuite and freeview plasma TV! Very basic but clean,my op time was on a whiteboard on the wall in my room!
I was due to go down to theatre at 4.15pm, so settled myself in and watched TV and had a snooze! I was allowed to drink water til 11.30am. About half hour before I was due to go to theatre You have to shower, no cream or deodorant! you have to put on lovely paper pants, surgical stockings, gown and hat(very sexy)!!! You walk yourself down to theatre in your slippers and the nurse takes them back to your room.
You are introduced to all the staff in theatre, you get on the operating table and the anaesthatist puts your cannula in your hand for the anaesthetic and someone else takes your blood pressure at the same time. They put the anaesthetic in and you start to feel woozy, then they put an oxygen mask on you, you breathe deeply and off you go!!!
Sorry for the essay but just trying to help! I'd never had anaesthetic before so was really nervous, kept thinking what if i don't wake up, but if there are any medical issues they wouldn't be operating!
I felt really sleepy afterwards, so just dozed on and off. Felt really good after, did experience some wind pain in my shoulder the next morning, and once again a few days later but nothing major, just buy some windeze/deflatine!!
Just do exactly as they tell you to do diet wise afterwards and you'll be fine. I'm just starting my 2 weeks of mushy food!!
Hope this helps you and all goes well for you, there is plenty of support on here for you and you can read everyone's experiences, but very pleased with Dolan Park. The nurses check on you through the night, and you may want to take ear plugs as my room was by the field which has sheep and cockerels in!! LOL, wasn't that bad, good job i'm an animal lover!
Keep us all posted on how you get on.
xx

Also lol you have an injection after surgery to prevent blood clots, they will give you liquid paracetamol to take home with you but if you want stronger, get a soluble kind.
you'll have your fills depending on where you live i think, i'm from Cardiff so had my consultation in a clinic here, and will also have my fills there too!
I had a phone call from the clinic 4 days after the op to see how I was, and was told the dietician would be in touch( by post I think) and you will meet them face to face. I haven't had a date yet!
Any questions please feel free to ask anything you like
xx

Thanks Lilypersian! That's exactly the kind of info I'm after. I've started having anxiety dreams already. Not had an operation or anything before so it all sounds pretty scary. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much 'cos I know the hard work starts when the band is in. It feels really far away so I hope the time doesn't go too slowly. Hearing what actually happens really helps :)

Gemby28 said:
Hi all,

This is probably going to sound daft but I wondered if anyone who's had their band at Dolan Park could walk me through exactly what happens... I've seen people mention pre-op blood tests- where/when do these happen?

These can happen in consultation when arranging things also,

Also heprin injections,

Heparin is a blood thinner and all depends on which surgeon u have as to whether u have to inject yourself after the op and at home,

pain-killers,

The hospital supply u with liquid paracetamol after op but be warned its vile!! Lol

barium X-rays-sorry don't know about this-never had any myself.

all a mystery to me!

How do you arrange band-fills and stuff afterwards?

These can be arranged at many clinics the hospital group have around the country.

Where do you go for fills? As above

Do you meet a dietician or speak on the phone?

Can be both phone or and face to face- I've had both!

I live in Suffolk so Dolan Park isn't nearby.

The hospital group can arrange transport at a cost but that's all I know as didn't need it! I live in same town!

Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions, just think I would feel better if I had an idea of how it'll work in reality... :confused:

Hope this helps x

Hey Gemby,
glad it helped! I had about 6 weeks to get my head around it all, from my consultation to op, so not very long to dwell on it. Put your energy into thinking about the new you, your new wardrobe and food ideas for your mushy food stage, cos this is the bit i'm most worried about! I could eat such huge amounts before, and always wolfed my food down, and today i couldn't eat a whole omelette for lunch, weird!!!! I've had my evening meal and couldn't eat it all, seriously need to adjust my portion size!!Also paranoid at this stage of eating too much and my band slipping but hoping I may be healed up by now?xx

I was there tuesday and ditto the info above. I had first consultation at newcastle and will get aftercare there. First appt 9th august op day 28 aug. I arrived on day and had bloods, BP and heart checked electric can't remember what its called.

Went to room was 3rd on list and went to theatre at 1pm.

Only other thing to add is that I have had to have a week of injections to do myself at home.

The hospital was great and I also had the "noisy" farm room lol x she has added to her collection now with dogs and 200 sheep as well as the cockerills x

I live close by so my admission time was 7am ... And be warned, it's not a hotel, so 'checkout' time is 7am in the morning as they have to prepare for the next batch of admissions. You will have wireless signal too, so can keep in touch with the outside world. I didn't have injections to do at home, but I think each surgeon is different, with what they advise. They don't do the first fill by X-ray any more as generally there is no need to as the port is easy to locate. All in all my experience with Dolan park has been fab, from the initial consultation, follow up, op, and then the aftercare. Lots of luck! :)

Like Flutterby I was a 7am admission and left 7am following morning. My bloods were done a week before my operation at Dolan Park. My surgeon was sirguddson who give patients anticoagulant injection on day before operation and following day before discharge. Had to wear compression socks for further 2 days. Great care on the day, and called first working day after my operation. I suffered lots of wind pain, but all gone now (my op was 3 August). My dietitician appointment is today by telephone at 9.00am - hence why I'm up at silly o clock today!! Dolan Park experience has been good for me, just remember to do what they say and you will be fine. Tracey xxx

I'm on day 5 and have been having slimfast shakes, smoothies, cup a soups and WW soups tomato and chicken sieved.

Also milky coffees and cocoa with milk.

Not finishing a full portion so today had half a tin of soup and wil have the other half later save wasting it.

X x

Back