• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Done and dusted!

carberello

So thats it! Done
Roux en Y 3 weeks ago today at the Claremont hospital Sheffield in the careful hands of Mr Akroyd.

I'm stunned with the results of the surgery if not the condition of the hospital and standard of care I had (or didnt have as it turned out ).

I wasn't assigned a room before surgery until the very last moment when I was asked to change into a gown and 'walk this way' ( If I could walk that way I wouldn't need an op boom boom)

I awoke in agony. excrutiating full on agony having had no painkillers of any kind after being roused. I have had a kidney out and the pain of that was nothing compared to this. I suspect someone neglected to administer pain relief as I woke. I cried out to be 'put back under' I was ignored for a while and left squirming and groaning in agony until I managed to shout out loudy at which point someone gave me a morphine shot.

Despite giving adamant instructions not to be catheterised and being promised by everyone around including the consultant that I wouldn't be, I awoke with a catheter that I know for a fact was for the convenience of the care nurse rather than myself. I was told 'Sue' (I think her name was ) liked her patients catheterised to save her 'running around after bottles' I was extremely angry about this after discovering the nurse in charge insisted I was catheterised to save her time and effort. my instructions were completely ignored- not on medical grounds but on convenience for the nurse grounds.

The room I was assigned wasn't as clean as it might have been with splashes of blood on the dirty floor and what looked like a second hand soft chair which was so filthy my visitors would not sit in it. My floor was filthy and was not cleaned in the 3 days I was there and the bathroom cleaned and given clean towels only once in 3 days. The television did not work.
I'm not well off but scraped together 8.5k to self fund this op via credit cards and feel I had about £37.50s worth from the Claremont in Sheffield.

Anyone looking for advice on private treatment Id say don't assume its any better than the NHS
in fact I'd put my private care way behind my experience of NHS care.
Choose your hospital very carefully. Its a conveyor belt out there and profit driven. You don't always get what you think you've paid for.

THE GOOD NEWS.
I have lost 2st 3lb in exactly 3 weeks. I 'm just at the end of the liquid diet and finding puréed/liquidised food going down well. I bought a cracking liquidiser from Tesco for £19.99 and it is a godsend!
I tried a bit of Chicken far too early and brought it back up! YUK same happened with some tuna fish but we live and learn.

I've 'Dumped' twice and can't tolerate millk or dairy any more.

I have absolutely no physical appetite or thirst but I do have the 'head hunger' which is controllable by the knowledge that I couldn't eat whatever it was trigged it anyway!

DIABETES.
My main hope of the surgery RNY was the resolution of my diabetes.
I'm off my medication (2x1g metformin and sitagliptin) BUT my blood sugars have not lowerd significantly. Not sure if thats a result or not? same bloods but no meds! I realise theres plenty of time yet but it is a little dissapointing not to wake up 'cured' ( I know it was expecting too much but I can dream)

Ive always carried my weight in my stomach. Never had chubby arms legs etc but an amazing side effect is that I can now cross my fingers which I couldnt do before - weird as my fingers are the same size according to the tightness of my wedding ring! How strange is that - Im getting more supple! I feel so much healthier. I want to run around like a puppy when Im out walking.

This surgery takes no prisoners. No cheating and no excuses lol Its great.

I have a fantastic Dr who arranged full blood tests for me before the surgery and for 4 weeks after so we can see the results, ( Cholestrol, glucose, triglycerides Liver function Thyroid and everything else) I can't wait to see how healthier I am.

Please dont be put off by my story as its just 1 bad experience in 100s of good ones.
I'd do it again in a flash but I'd ask to look at the rooms in any hospital I'd have chosen a different hospital for sure. I would have written instructions re any post op care wishes which Id ask to be signed.

People have obviously noticed Ive lost 2 st some congratulate me, some say nothing but stare with green eyes! and some dont notice lol Thing is I glance in the mirror sometimes and there's a skinnier me grinning back where I expect a chubster! God knows how Im going to feel after another 4 stone or so! Bring it on.

Best thing Ive done in a long time.

I was a NHS patient but had my op in a private hospital and had no problems with the cleanliness of the hospital and the staff were great.
I have got to agree with the catheter thing though.
I had mine in for 48 hours, but this might have been due to the fact I was given a pain killer that I am allergic to even though they knew this and it was on a red band on my arm

Back