• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dumping!

ravelling

Grateful bypasser
14 months post op, nearly and I thought I had this dumping business sorted!

Unfortunately, I've had two incidences of it in the last 24 hours. The first was entirely my fault. I tried to add some cereal to my diet and added some museli to my yoghurt. Didn't cope very well with the dried fruit and started dumping. I knew I didn't have a good past history with dried fruit, but wondered if things might have changed over time. They haven't. There's another lesson for me.

Now it's happening again with a latte and I drink one of these every day. Wonder what's happening. Sure is an interesting life!

Oh dear doesn't sound pleasant I hope you feel better shortly and can work out whats causing the sudden change for this to happen. I must admit that that is the one thing that is making me nervous the learning curve of foods to avoid to prevent that happening. Positive vibes being sent your way in the hope it helps.

Gosh this surprised me when I read you were well over a year post bypass and still having dumping. Is this normal for a lot of people? I must admit it's one side effect that made me go with bypass over band as I feel it will be a further aid to help me over 'tough times'.

I hope you manage to settle your symptoms without too much more nasty side effects.

Unfortunately, I've had two incidences of it in the last 24 hours. The first was entirely my fault. I tried to add some cereal to my diet and added some museli to my yoghurt. Didn't cope very well with the dried fruit and started dumping. I knew I didn't have a good past history with dried fruit, but wondered if things might have changed over time. They haven't. There's another lesson for me.

Now it's happening again with a latte and I drink one of these every day. Wonder what's happening. Sure is an interesting life!

I am 12 months post op and have had the same problem last week when I had choccie :eek: and the weekend when I also dumped on a latte :rolleyes:

aww no sound really bad hope it has settled now for you, it is one thing that puts me off havining it done i must admit, what exactly happens with dumping? i heard a little but there did not go into it really at the hospital

I'm nearly 3 years post op and still dump. I find that after one dumping session my tolerance seems to be lower, like my body has gone into panic mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

alison1979 said:
aww no sound really bad hope it has settled now for you, it is one thing that puts me off havining it done i must admit, what exactly happens with dumping? i heard a little but there did not go into it really at the hospital

Gastric dumping syndrome, or rapid gastric emptying is a condition where ingested foods bypass the stomach too rapidly and enter the small intestine largely undigested. It happens when the upper end of the small intestine, the duodenum, expands too quickly due to the presence of hyperosmolar (substances with increased osmolarity) food from the stomach. "Early" dumping begins concurrently or immediately succeeding a meal. Symptoms of early dumping include nausea, vomiting, bloating, cramping, diarrhea, dizziness and fatigue. "Late" dumping happens 1 to 3 hours after eating. Symptoms of late dumping include weakness, sweating, and dizziness. Many people have both types. The syndrome is most often associated with gastric surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Hi Gill

Can I ask with the Latte - is it a Skinny Latte with Skimmed Milk?. I can only take the Skinny or I feel sick all day.
Maybe some things never change over time.

is it a Skinny Latte with Skimmed Milk

Hi Suzanne

I only drink skinny lattes from habit, but fat doesn't normally bother me at all.
I like a latte as coffee is one of my last remaining vices (!) and it's good source of protein each day - my excuse and I'm sticking to it ;)

Back