• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Experience with loose skin

lamb_reader

I'm having a sleeve done in 4 weeks. I need to loose 110 lbs.
I'm 27 years old, I've never been pregnant, I'm 5' 7'' tall and my current body fat percentage is 45 :cry:
I intend to lose the weight rather slow (about 2 lbs per week) and eat a high protein diet.
How much loose skin do I have to expect?
Any advice on how to avoid as much loose skin as possible? Excercise..? Massage..?

I'm 47yrs old had 3 full term pregnancies & lost 110lbs so far with another 12 to go minimum my loose skin is mainly tummy, thighs, calves & upper arms. Tummy also well marked by stretch marks curtesy of the kids & the weight gains & losses over the years.
As for how to reduce the the loose skin being younger your skin is more elastic than mine but once its safe to do so toning exercises, you can probably start on the upper arms if needed soon after you come home at least a week or two after though, with light weights sitting down such as a tin of beans or 500ml bottle of water & just gentle stretching but not enough to pull on your tummy muscles to soon after surgery. Gentle leg lifts or stretches again while sitting down early on helps boost your circulation when your not up to doing to much energy wise. Once you're cleared by your team, build up on simple toning exercises, swimming etc is a supportive exercise that works the whole body, without stressing your joints etc.
I'm sure you will get probably better advice from others who have practised what they preach if I'd been more focussed I perhaps wouldn't have as much loose skin as I have now but then being 20yrs older than you I would have had a harder job anyway.

I don't think you can do anything to prevent excess skin, you either have elasticity or you don't and yes youth helps. Exercise will tone up the muscle and may make it look better but it won't change the skin. The only thing bothering me so far is my arms. I can save up to have them done!

You are smaller, younger and taller than me so with lots of exercise you might be ok. I don't think you can really know until it happens. I have a lot of excess skin already. I've still got over 5 stone to go till goal so imagine it will be a right mess but it's still better than being 26 stone :) Good luck x

Last edited:
Hi!! I have lost 103lbs so far and I'm 53, and so far no real loose skin to speak of yet.. But I have exercised from six weeks out of surgery, aerobic and weight bearing exercise to try and build muscle tone, and I'm sure that has been the key.. but In The old end a lot of it is genetic, and age, and how much and for how long the skin has been stretched. I think my problem area will be my thighs as they have always been big so have been stretched for longer, and IT will definitely need to get my boobs done.. It really seems to be totally different for everyone.. But I wish you luck, and definitely a good exercise regime certainly won't do any harm, and if I had to choose loose skin over staying big, I would definitely choose the weight loss xxx

Last edited:
I have been fairly lucky so far I do have loose skin but not so much that it bothers me, my boobs are the worse but I am resigned to wearing my new discovery of a balconette bra it's brilliant !
I am 52 not expecting miracles!!!!

Im a bander, and am just under 6 stone into my loss . . .I've got another 7 stone or so to go . . .but already I have skin issues, particularly noticeable around my thighs, upper arms and as for my boobs, well, they'll have disappeared soon (I've already lost 3 bra cup sizes), I didnt think the skin would bother me, but I went swimming with my son last week and even tho my costume would have fitted, I still had to wear the swim dress as the amount of skin at the top of my thighs is just awful.

I've used to gym, do lots of walking and strangely enough my legs weren't even the place where my fat has been stored/sitting . . .when I went to my provider last week for a fill, I talked about the skin and they said there is only so much exercise and toning you can do . . .if its going to be skin and loose, it will be and in that way, only surgery is the thing that will take it away.

Not something I really thought about or considered prior, but even under half way to target, I believe it will be something in the future that I will do.

Back