• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

first psychologist meeting on friday HELP!

WitchInWorthing

so I have my first meeting with the psychologist on Friday as part of the tier 3 weight loss process to get my surgery ... I had a lot of CBT in my twenties, but nothing since then and I am a bit worried what she will want to know and how much delving into my psyche she will want to do. I just don't want her to say I am not stable enough for surgery or dealing with the results. I have suffered from depression pretty much all my life and I fully expect it to be a condition I have to manage post surgery, I just want to be physically healthier .... I don't believe weight loss will cure my depression - is this the right attitude? the wrong attitude? any advice, insight etc would be appreciated ....
Thanks all and happy monday!
E xxx

You should just be honest. I think it's very healthy to know that it won't cure your depression because it won't. My life is a million better in so many ways but I still suffer with depression and it was a shock to me as I believed everything would be better. I'm pretty sure she would be worried if you felt this was a cure all. Like I say be honest, if you are ready, she will be able to tell :) x

Just be honest with them, even though this may delay you surgery..They may want you to tackle the depression before moving forward to operation...All the best...x

Depression does not rule you out, it is your expectations that they are interested in. As long as you realise it won't be cured, should be fine.

Hiya! I had my psych meeting last week. I was completely honest about the many times i have had CBT as well as prozac. I am currently on Citalopram. She was very positive and said that i seemed in good control at the moment. She has recommended me for surgery next Tuesday. You need to be honest, she explained to me that depression/anxiety isn't necessarily a bar to WLS but they need to know how best to support you post op. Good luck!

Yes, just be honest - both with yourself and with the shrink. Weight loss surgery requires total commitment and mental strength. The physical journey is pretty straightforward for most people, but the head is a totally different matter. This is life-changing for us but does not come without challenges. But the rewards will be amazing. In the unlikely event that your evaluation does delay your op you have to accept it has happened for a reason. I wish you all the best, and loads of good luck on your journey x

best be honest im on mood stabalisers and antidepressants and it was fine just made my appointment longer going thru history , and don't forget they will have your notes /history

thanks everyone - I am much happier with an 'honesty is the best policy' approach than trying to fudge things through .... will trust that the outcome I get is the one I need ... I will let you know how I get on.... xxx

Excellent view. I guess they want/need to know if we have something deep within over which we perceive we have little (or no) control - a demon that could sabotage everything we/they achieve. Be assured that it is true that with the bypass the hormone in the stomach that drives physical hunger is disconnected (bloo*y brilliant!) so when one side of our head is saying we fancy something, the other side is nagging away with the fear of the consequences of doing something 'stupid' that could bust our staples! So by the time you get onto pureed normal foods, hopefully the head hunger will have left by the back door, you'll be a mahoosive amount lighter and thinner, and therefore feeling positive and ready to take on whatever life throws in your direction. It's about empowerment and taking back control from food and/or whatever else has hijacked our lives.

As I said before, good luck. Keep us informed about Friday, and remember that everyone's journey is unique to them, but on here we're all on one. And that is what a support network is all about, hun x

Btw - Week 5, Day 1 tomorrow so will migrate to solids, but due to a nasty head cold and chest, I've been put back to Week 3 ( first week of runny purees). A bit of a set-back, but hey, as my pre-op prep was a bit complicated I've not chewed for nearly three months so what's another few days. Ain't going to get down about it xx

Hi,
I have suffered with depression for the last 10 years and now I work for a mental health charity. The way I see it is that the depression doesn't go away ..however, it becomes easier to live with.
For me, it was all about understanding depression causes us to crave carbohydrates and this is what leads to the weight gain.once i had this knowledge i also learned that there are certain foods that help with depression such as Turkey and bananas.These help us convert our amino acids into tryptophan which increases our serotonin levels. This helps us sleep and relax. I got banded 8 weeks ago and the banding has helped me to feel in control again. A low self esteem goes hand in hand with depression and i can feel my self esteem getting slowly better - by being able to feel in control again. It is much more positive messages that i tell myself now and this in turn makes me have a better day. Also, the walking that is needed after surgery has helped to make my mood better as this is another way to raise seretonin levels.
I hope I haven't waffled on to much. Well done for being so honest ...and you are not alone...1 in 3 people will experience mental ill health at some time in their lives.
Good luck,
Rachel.

I too have battled with depression have have cognitive therapy and bee on antidepressants for the best part of my life. i was not completely honest with the psychologist about how i felt and as a result ended up having agastric band fitted which i could not cope with. i have since had it converted to a bypass and i am getting on great guns. it is in our own best interest to be true to ourselves i can say that i am more in control of my eating now than at any stage of my adult life so please dont do anything that may obstruct your chance ofsurgery good luck

Back