• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Getting ready to have surgery!

rdburkhardt

My surgery date is fast approaching and I'm excited and happy and nervous! My husband is almost 4 months out from his RNY WLS and is doing great. I have been supportive of him and now it's my turn. I have never had surgery of any kind and that is my main area of nervousness. I have lots of support from my husband and family and even my job. Everyone has been great. Spending a week with my family then working the last 2 days before surgery to keep from dwelling on the fact that I'm going to have surgery. Whew! The count down is on...

My surgery date is fast approaching and I'm excited and happy and nervous! My husband is almost 4 months out from his RNY WLS and is doing great. I have been supportive of him and now it's my turn. I have never had surgery of any kind and that is my main area of nervousness. I have lots of support from my husband and family and even my job. Everyone has been great. Spending a week with my family then working the last 2 days before surgery to keep from dwelling on the fact that I'm going to have surgery. Whew! The count down is on...
hey rd :) welcome to the site and good luck :) im glad your husband is doing well, you'll be fine :) xxx

:welcome:

My op is in just over 3 weeks at Sunderland. Where are you having your surgery? x

Sleeve Op Sunderland

Hi Newcy

I am having my op at Sunderland and I really hope you can answer a few questions for me! I am becoming a bit confused! I had my endoscopy about a fortnight ago, and everything was fine so Mr Balapuri said I was on the waiting list now for a sleeve. However, I have no idea how long the list is and when i can expect to have my op, and I am not sure who to contact as it is Mr Mahawar who I have seen in consultation but Mr Balapuri at the endo. Also, how much notice do they give you? I dont really want to tell work, so i was going to take leave to cover my absence but for that much leave i would need at least a months notice i would think. Sorry for bothering you, it is great to have people on here in a the same boat as you go through this step by step. I just really want it done now, I would go in today if I could! :sigh:

good luck hun x

good luck

Hi Julia had my bypass inSRH last August I got bout 5 weeks notice unless you get a cancellation wich would probably be bout 10 days I would guess. My endo was April and op was August so depends if the waiting list is smaller now due to other hospitals offering the same service now. Good Luck xx hope its not too long they are lovely at the hospital though. xx

Thanks Chrisa - I think I may have to ring them and find out when it is likely to be, and provisionally book some time off around then. I am just worried that I might not be ok to go back after two weeks, but I have started a new job and would rather they didnt know - not that I will (hopefully!) not be able to keep it a secret for long!!

Hi Newcy

I am having my op at Sunderland and I really hope you can answer a few questions for me! I am becoming a bit confused! I had my endoscopy about a fortnight ago, and everything was fine so Mr Balapuri said I was on the waiting list now for a sleeve. However, I have no idea how long the list is and when i can expect to have my op, and I am not sure who to contact as it is Mr Mahawar who I have seen in consultation but Mr Balapuri at the endo. Also, how much notice do they give you? I dont really want to tell work, so i was going to take leave to cover my absence but for that much leave i would need at least a months notice i would think. Sorry for bothering you, it is great to have people on here in a the same boat as you go through this step by step. I just really want it done now, I would go in today if I could! :sigh:

Hi Julia,

The surgeon's often change as you go through the process - Mr Schroeder is named as my surgeon for the op but my letters have said Mr B and Mr M although I've never met either as Mr Gupta did my endo. I'd ask to speak to Mr M's secretary if he's named on your appointments etc.

I was given 4 weeks notice but cancellations can be as soon as 7 days. My surgery is booked for exactly 6 months to the day since my endo. Earlier in the year it was 3-4 months but sadly its taking longer at the moment but that could change nearer the time.

You've got through the longest part now - not too much longer to go! I found this part flew until I got to 4 months after going on the waiting list and then it dragged as I'd expected to have my op by then so if you tell yourself it'll be 6 months then you might get a nice surprise?!? At least you should be done before xmas.

Best of luck x

I had my op at SRH 3 weeks ago, and only got 7 days notice, but it was a cancellation. I haven't told work about my bypass either. When I was discharged I was given a sick note that didn't mention bypass at all. Hope it all goes well for you. x

Thanks very much for all that everyone, it's a big help. I feel like every day is dragging and it's only been two weeks since my endoscopy, it's pretty much all I can think about! I think you're right, if I reckon six months then I'm very lucky if I am seen before that! Exciting times!

Out of interest, what did you tell work? I told them I had an endoscopy and they were fine but I was going to put holidays in to cover it but I'd rather not. I don't like my job at all for all the people are nice enough, I don't know whether it's just worth saying I need to go in to hospital at some point to cover me. It'd be great if sick more doesn't say what it's for! I'd rather not take holidays, I think I'd rather keep them to recover.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I tend to work for 6 months then have 6 months off due to funding so I'm not expected back until October and I'll be all done and dusted by then with plenty of recovery time. I don't know what I'd have done if at work as I'm not telling anyone - prob have said I needed some kind of girly op to limit questions x

Back