• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

GP just recommended lucozade!!!

Dell

I've been ill since Saturday, sleeping loads, headache, diarrhoea, exhausted, spoke to GP in advice of nurse friend who said lucozade isotonic drinks to boost energy.......???!!! I told him I can't and he was insistent that it won't matter and need them!!!!!

Hmmmm. Do they do a sugar free isotonic version? Maybe it's the salts in it he wants you to have to prevent dehydration and help because of the runs? But then I would have expected dioralyte or similar instead. Sounds like you have a bug, if you were vomiting as well it would probably be norovirus as that doesn't half knock you out and make you drained, tired and achey. But it's unusual to not vomit with it. Do you have a different gp you can see? If nit is there an out of hours service you could access this evening or a walk in centre you could go to today?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Hi, I'm no expert but the only thing that would worry me about lucozade is its carbonated. Do they have an uncarbonated option or do you need to open the can/bottle and leave it for the fizz to go?
Have you spoken to your wls surgery team to see if they have another alternative they could recommend, I wouldn't worry about the calorie content of it at the moment just that you can't risk damaging your pouch.

It's the sugar that bothers me, I've started to be a sensitive dumper again. There's a low sugar version on the website but we can't find it locally, typical. I can't get to walk in, but waiting on call back from dietician xx

Hi, I am amazed . . . Lucozade (and I love the stuff, could drink endless amounts!) is made up of Carbonated Water, Glucose Fructose Syrup (24%), Orange juice from Concentrate (5%), Citric Acid, Preservatives (Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Bisulphite), Stabiliser (Acacia Gum), Caffeine (0.012%), Antioxidant (Ascorbic Acid), Flavourings and Colour (Beta-Carotene) !!! I would not want to contradict your GP after all he is qualified (I am not) but a 1 litre bottle of Lucozade equates to 52 (yes, 52) sugar cubes. I can understand wanting to get fluids in to your body if you are dehydrated but surly water or NSA squash will do the trick . . . Lucozade was popular in hospitals as an ‘energy drink’ eons ago but we have moved on . . . as an energy ‘quick fix’ it works as a sugar boost but you soon come down and crave more . . . Lucozade is tasty (to me) but not particularly nutritious or well balanced . . .

Hi, I am amazed . . . Lucozade (and I love the stuff, could drink endless amounts!) is made up of Carbonated Water, Glucose Fructose Syrup (24%), Orange juice from Concentrate (5%), Citric Acid, Preservatives (Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Bisulphite), Stabiliser (Acacia Gum), Caffeine (0.012%), Antioxidant (Ascorbic Acid), Flavourings and Colour (Beta-Carotene) !!! I would not want to contradict your GP after all he is qualified (I am not) but a 1 litre bottle of Lucozade equates to 52 (yes, 52) sugar cubes. I can understand wanting to get fluids in to your body if you are dehydrated but surly water or NSA squash will do the trick . . . Lucozade was popular in hospitals as an ‘energy drink’ eons ago but we have moved on . . . as an energy ‘quick fix’ it works as a sugar boost but you soon come down and crave more . . . Lucozade is tasty (to me) but not particularly nutritious or well balanced . . .

I contradicted him.....he assumed I meant calories and poo pooed me....I tried to explain but my heads not up to it today....I'm drinking loads, but just completely wiped out. I'll live :)

Spoke to team dietician, bland sloppies are the way to go with lots of fluid and Codeine for pain and also it'll reduce the diarrhoea :)

i was impressed when i found a powerade ZERO in the shops the other day!! used to love that stuff but stay away from all those drinks because of the sugar, but ZERO = yay!
plus it isnt fizzy

I bought some of this a while ago - I'm not sure what they sweeten it with but it tasted horribly sickly sweet to me.

i would have thought dioralyte was a better thing to have, or as my gp always advised when my kids were ill, flat coke, at least you can get that sugar free, and its easy to get

Thanks everyone, I'm drinking loads so dietician thinks trying to eat small amounts is my best bet. But everything I eat causes hideous nausea :( its very off putting :(

Can you get some anti emetics from your gp? If not there is one you can buy over the counter called buccastem, it dissolves against your gums rather than swallowing it and works well. Have you tried benefibre to help with your bowels?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Never had a problem before Shel, use benefibre already cos I was paranoid, think its a gastro bug, GP said he's seen a few this week already. I'm not being sick, so I'm doing things to take my mind off the nausea a bit and within the hour it settles....thanks so much for your help x

Poor you. Bugs are horrible. But Lucozade? Some GPs know less than nothing about WLS! My GP still can't get his head around the difference between band and bypass.

Funny how dumping comes and goes isn't it? I had a few months where I hardly dumped at all, now its back with a vengeance.
I hope you feel better soon love.
Grace xxx

My husband mentioned those powders, Mixy....he is a fitness freak (the irony ;) ) and always bangs on about different shakes/powders.... I'll be fine I'm sure, but something to bear in mind for the future

Grace, its not nice, we don't really get bugs in our house, but I've been tired, spotty etc for a couple of weeks so think that's why it got me!

Back