• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

haven't been here for a long long time

yorkiegal

Baxter's mum
I think the last time I was here I had just been knocked back for funding. Well it's been a busy time since then. I finally managed to get my funding after I gained a few more pounds and had my bypass in May 2011. I went from 21st 4lbs at my heaviest to 13 st 6lbs which is where I've stuck for the past year.

I have so much more self confidence, am a size 16 and no longer have any of those aches and pains.

Ok so here's the reason I am back.
I suffer from long term mental illness, one of the symptoms being a tendency to self harm and not look after myself. I havent self harmed for several years now but still find it difficult re self care.
I haven't taken any vitamins or minerals or lanzoprazole for over a year. I've missed all my hospital check ups and am well overdue for a blood test.
I know something is up because I am constantly tired. I am also waking up at night starving hungry and am eating whatever I can get. As a result I haven't been able to get my blood test done (i have the form pinned onto the fridge) because it's a fasting test.

I went to my gp last week to explain about my mood problems as i've had a particularly bad couple of months. He didn't seem to listen at all and just laughed it off.

So my new years resolutions are as follows

1) get a blood test
2) make an appointment to see my old psychiatrist directly rather than going through my gp.
3) start taking the vitamins again
4) join slimming world. I need support to get back on track again as I just can't seem to do it on my own. It's not so much about losing those last couple of stone but more about eating healthily. I'm living on bags of crisps and bars of chocolate at the moment.

Well done for posting after a long break and welcome back . I am sure you will get all the support you need to get back on track x

Hi ya, its great to hear from you again, I have missed you. I'm so pleased for you having done so well & wish your GP was more supportive of you when you asked for help. I remember you had so many personal challenges just after your surgery that were enough to fell someone without you mental health problems & you kept going. I'm glad your trying to take back control of your life & health. I'm here if you need someone as I was before. I'm facing my own demons & start counselling today to try & deal with them as well as lots of other issues both old & new. Stay strong tick those goals off one by one & you'll hopefully get that life emotional balance right as you do.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

good for you coming back and going asking for help its the first step, im bipolar and self harm it tuck a long long time to get the right help, good luck with everything you have planned but dont beat yourself up if you dont do it all right now it takes time

thanks for the responses. I HAVE to do something to get back on track. I've eaten an entire toblerone today for heavens sake. I know it's because I'm stressed out about an email I have to send resigning as secretary from my local residents assoc. I can't cope with the extra responsibility right now.
On the upside, I cooked some mince and onion for tea instead of eating a ready meal. Might not sound much but when I'm depressed I find it difficult to raise the energy to even put the kettle on.

Well done for posting :)

I think the last time I was here I had just been knocked back for funding. Well it's been a busy time since then. I finally managed to get my funding after I gained a few more pounds and had my bypass in May 2011. I went from 21st 4lbs at my heaviest to 13 st 6lbs which is where I've stuck for the past year.

I have so much more self confidence, am a size 16 and no longer have any of those aches and pains.

Ok so here's the reason I am back.
I suffer from long term mental illness, one of the symptoms being a tendency to self harm and not look after myself. I havent self harmed for several years now but still find it difficult re self care.
I haven't taken any vitamins or minerals or lanzoprazole for over a year. I've missed all my hospital check ups and am well overdue for a blood test.
I know something is up because I am constantly tired. I am also waking up at night starving hungry and am eating whatever I can get. As a result I haven't been able to get my blood test done (i have the form pinned onto the fridge) because it's a fasting test.

I went to my gp last week to explain about my mood problems as i've had a particularly bad couple of months. He didn't seem to listen at all and just laughed it off.

So my new years resolutions are as follows

1) get a blood test
2) make an appointment to see my old psychiatrist directly rather than going through my gp.
3) start taking the vitamins again
4) join slimming world. I need support to get back on track again as I just can't seem to do it on my own. It's not so much about losing those last couple of stone but more about eating healthily. I'm living on bags of crisps and bars of chocolate at the moment.

Well done for posting ..... was in same boat, not taking vitamins etc. Had the warnings from my gallbladder surgeon and have now been back on them fora month.

Most helpful thing for me, regarding bypass, has been talking to and listening to others who are still sticking to the rules, ie concentrate on protein - simple basics.

Also, have found on here that many people who suffer from depression have had problems via malabsorption of meds. I've changed my meds but found out from Dr that they are available in liquid form if need be.

Keep posting and good luck!

PS well done on that fantastic weight loss and for keeping the weight level for a year :) :)

Welcome back and thank you for posting.

I agree with others - your lowered mood is almost certainly being negatively affected by malabsorption of nutrients and/or insufficient or non-existent supplementation.

You might benefit greatly from gorging yourself (LOL) on supplements - multivitamins, iron, vitamin b12 and vitamin D. Lack of Iron and Vit D, in particular, cause exhaustion, depression, lack of motivation, sleep problems, and many more horrors.

You really must take care of yourself, and I pray all will go well from now on.

Blessings x

now that u realise that u need help it will happen ...the fact that youve posted is a step in the right direction
keep strong u will get there well done that u have managed to keep weight stable

thanks everyone. It hadn't occurred to me that my depression meds might not be working in the same way post bypass so I will ask my doctor about that. I think not taking the vitamins is definitely a way of me punishing myself. Seems I have a lot to talk to the pdoc about when I see her.

I've found a nearby slimming world club and also a rosemary conley so just need to decide between the two. My task for tomorrow is to read up a bit on this forum and check out some recipes and tips for what to eat. I need to go back to basics and start concentrating on getting my protein in.

I'm quite looking forward to taking control again. :)
Feels good to be back.

I've decided to kick start my diet by going back on the milk diet for at least a week. I've completed two days so far, with the only difference being that I'm allowing myself a couple of Options hot choc sachets each day to satisfy my sweet cravings. Feel fine so far and have also reduced my cigarette intake by using an e-cig during the day and only smoking after 7pm when I'm sat watching tv. That means I'm down from 30 to 10 per day. Not quite ready to quit altogether.

All positive moves well done are you moving to the purée or soft food stage after your week of liquids? Take care not to stress your body to much & stay hydrated etc so you don't feel to rough as its a sort of detox diet as well. Good luck though & hope you get that kick start you need.

All positive moves well done are you moving to the purée or soft food stage after your week of liquids? Take care not to stress your body to much & stay hydrated etc so you don't feel to rough as its a sort of detox diet as well. Good luck though & hope you get that kick start you need.

i'm not going to go through the puree stage again. It was vile lol. But I'm going to concentrate on eating meat and fish first and stay away from the rich sauces and potatoes and breads. I've got some protein powder left over which I can have too if I don't think I'm getting enough.

Make yourself some fruit smoothies with yoghurt, milk, protein powder or milk powder with whatever fruit you fancy fresh or frozen all blitzed with a hand blender, I loved those early post-op & tend to forget them these days but it was a great boost protein wise plus fluids double win.
Good luck & great to have you back on here posting again.

Good to see you posting again yorkiegal. It very well could be your meds are being absorbed differently causing your low mood. I am bi polar and have had terrible problems getting my medication right since my bypass, and they are changing me over from the lithium to sodium valproate which hopefully will be more effective as I do not absorb the lithium properly anymore. It is definitely worth asking the doctor to do a blood test to check all your levels of medication just in case they are out of kilter. I also went through a pretty self destructive stage, and you are probably right about not taking your vits and eating the wrong foods being a form of self harm, I was there also. It sounds like you are getting back on track though from your last couple of posts which is great. I am sure you will get all the support you need here from these wonderful people, I know I have. Good luck xxx

Last edited:
Back