• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Having a bad day

bouncypanda

I've been doing so much research over the past few weeks, I think I've got myself all tied up in knots resulting in a bit of a down day today. I just can't get my head round it.

I don't have many vices but one I do have is my love of diet coke. I know it sounds really silly but I don't smoke, drink, or eat anything high fat or high sugar (because of my diabetes). All my blood work is pretty perfect, cholesterol is controlled without tablets etc (since I only drink soya milk and eat soya milk products) I drink green tea daily rather than any teas or coffees and plain bottled water (since our local water doesn't agree with me at all). I already take a multitude of vitamins and minerals (since they help with depression and diabetes) and the only thing I have which is out of the ordinary is diet coke.

Thing is, when I have the bypass I have to give up fizzy drinks. And if I'm honest, it's really depressing me to the point I'm in tears.

Now I know I have to have the op to save my life and I know it sounds really selfish to be worrying about a drink but since I do everything else right, I'm going to lose the one naughty thing I have.

Question is this. If I get drink syrups such as cola ones via sodastream etc, can I mix it with plain mineral water? I can do without the bubbles since I always drink flat pop anyway, and I know I've read that even flat pop can cause bubbles but plain syrup and water? I could cope with that as long as I can taste the coke taste but is it allowed?

Can't see a problem as long as they are sugar free. In saying that your tastes do change with the bypass so you will probably find you won't enjoy it the same. Feelings of grief over food and lifestyle loss is perfectly natural hun. I was about two months into my "new life" when it hit me but I wouldn't want the old me back again ...ever ;)

Hiya

I was a HUGE Pepsi Max drinker pre bypass and I drank gallons of the stuff!! I was terrified about not having it after my bypass and was even considering what you are now. Then I had the bypass and now all sugar free fizzy drinks taste like pure sugar! Weird???!!!

You may just find the same thing and not want to drink it.. The other option if you do find you like it post op is to stir the fizz out with a metal spoon and lots and lots of ice! Maybe not gallons of it, but the odd glass here or there would be ok xxx

Every so often if my son is having a can I may have a 'Pepsi Max-mouth-rinse' to get a bit of the taste and feeling, but I really don't miss soda's post op xx

I know what you mean I cannot drink sugar free as just makes me feel yuk so have full sugar but don't drink fizzy any more as that causes wind but I get 50/50 high juice seems to be a lot better and I always have my water battle with me I keep sipping al day

if you find you still crave it after op maybe try watering it down to remove the fizz

As long as its diet its not really an issue so long as you're only having the odd taste. Like other have said you may well not want it - I went from 2l a day to nothing literally overnight. Equally you can get sugar free cola bottle sweets. Just a warning though - even if I leave it to go flat it hurts me to drink it, so not everyone can manage it post op.

Back