• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) - symptoms like gallstones

emmakc

Hi I thought I'd share as I'd never heard of this before. A few months after bypass I was getting pain in my right hand side in same place where gallstone pain would be. I also get heartburn so was put on lanze something.

Anyway, when I went to see my consultant he said that I shouldn't be getting heartburn (I'm going back for further tests) and that a high percentage (can't remember exact figures) have this bug in their gut which can either cause no problems in a normal tummy or can be the cause of most ulcers, but if you have it after a bypass symptoms can be worsened.

The bug is called Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) and can be diagnosed with a stool sample, then treated with antibiotics. You have to come off all heartburn medication for two weeks before the test. Mine was negative, but I thought I'd share in case it helps anyone.

Emma

The majority of people who naturally carry this bacteria in their gut are asymptomatic. It my never develop into helicobacter pylori.

Back