• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi I am new to this site :)

friendlygal2002

Just wondered if anyone's got any advice for me. Ive got a consultation for a gastric band on 22nd October. This appt took months and months of deliberation before I made it. Am I doing the right thing? What will I be able to eat afterwards? will be grateful for any tips etc??????????:confused:

Hiya x You are in the right place xx
If you tell us a bit more about your circumstances we can give you lots of info.

At your consultation you need to really be honest regarding your food weaknesses and that way the surgeon can look at you as a whole, weight, general health and eating habits...to steer you towards a surgery type that is best suited to you and that you have optimum chance of working with successfully.
Usually if you don't snack on too many sweet foods but love huge portions at meal times, a band will be a good choice.

After the recovery period just after the op , you can eat normal healthy foods and the occasional treat...just smaller quantities.

It will normally take a few fills until you reach ideal restriction so you just have to be careful what you eat til the sweet spot.
Restriction needs fine tuning every now and then but it's not too bad having a fill.

Come join in the banders threads and you can get to know some of us and ask specific questions.
Just click the two links on my signature x Happy to help you

Last edited:
Hello and welcome. Neen has given some excellent advice...

Just one thing, is your heart set in stone on having a band or are you just unsure about one of the other procedures available? What is it about a band that attracts you is what i'm getting at... Banders on here are very successful but all will tell you that it is 70% their work and 30% the band (or somewhere round there). If you have zero willpower you might want to think of something a bit more restrictive like a bypass or sleeve.

Can i also ask why you've chosen to fund yourself rather than the nhs route?

Hi Julie. I have been to see my gp so many times regarding weight loss that I am now to embarressed to even mention it as everything has failed. They are not very supportive and told me that to be fat at fourty is disgraceful! I know that the waiting lists are very long if they do consider you. No my mind is not totally made up but its great to talk to u lot to help me make up my mind x Julie x

Number one...change your GP practice. A new Doc is what you need and they might put you forward for nhs funding.

I think when you see the surgery team and explain your current eating problems they will be the right people to give you an honest view on what will work best for you.

I think asking here will not always give an objective answer because bypassers (the majority of members) love their bypasses and will almost always say "have a bypass" and the vibe is overall very anti-band.
This makes it very hard for existing banders to get motivated/positive or anyone actually feel confident about having a band even if it's perferctly adequate and suited to them.

I love bypassers as they are a fantastic bunch and I don't think for one moment there is anything negative meant as they are thrilled understandably with how life is improved with their weight loss, there are banders who love their bands too but it's very hard to find them in the posts with such a busy forum as this.

Ask your surgeon.
You eat a lot of sugary foods and nibble all day as well as eat large portions at meal times and /or are very very heavy with possibly co-morbidities?
The surgeon is most likely going to steer you towards a bypass/sleeve

You aren't too bothered about sweet foods but love really big portions at meal times?
probably a band.

I try and be objective for everyone and if you go for a band and it's RIGHT for you, I will do anything I can to help along with the other banders xxxx

Good luck

Last edited:
Neen is absolutely right, if sweet stuff/chocolate is your poison, as it was mine then a bypass is the way to go! However if you can control these urges or are plain just not bothered by them then a band could be right up your street...

Listen objectively to all the pros and cons, and if then undecided follow your surgeons directions..

All the best sweetheart!

Oh yes, change GP's... Could you be cheeky and ring your pct and ask which gp's refer in your area? Just so you know before you start :) xx

I am new, i go and see surgeon and aneathatist on the 14th Oct 10, Can anyone tell, how long after to have the op.

Hi, I am new too so 'hello'.
I have not even got as far as a proper appointment yet. I went to the initial group consultation last week but was told will be approx 4 months until my first proper appointment with consultant and approx 6 months after that until possible surgery. So 10 months from start to finish. I dont know how accurate that estimate will really be only time will tell but I think time taken depends on the area you live in.
Theresa x

Back