• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi - might be having surgery - really terrified

Cath860

Hi everyone, brand new here. Saw my GP today and we discussed bariatric surgery. I've always refused to consider it in the past because I hate the thought of an operation. I've tried all the diets/exercise and I'm so very tired of not living a full life because of my weight.

Would someone please let me know where I can find info and FAQ on the difference between a sleeve and a bypass?

Thanks very much and to everyone for sharing their stories on here, I've been really cheered up reading how much the operation has changed lives and how positive it has been for so many. Makes me a bit less afraid!!

Cath

Well there's nobody softer than me but the time comes when its the only option left, my daughter is going to be the same as me and I have suggested she chat with her gp she has and they having her weight watched so i've said be more specific while she's mid 20's get it done n sorted now don't wait till she's in her 40's like me. They usually tell you which they think will be best for you at hospital. But thye don't force it on you if you don't want that procedure. I thought I would ahve the band but they said bypass would be better suited to me so thats what i had best thing ever never looked back really. Lost 8 stone since the beginning of the journey and thats a big diffrence and no where near finished yet. Just go with an open mind. You can google it there are loads of sites I had mine on Nhs, no one mentioned funding to me but people on here have had to wait for clearance on funding so must be whatever area you are from. GOOD LUCK XX

:welcome:

If you go to the tool bar at the top and click to search, then type 'bypass and sleeve' and select to search titles only - a huge list of threads will come up. Some discuss the pro's and con's while others compare the actual procedures, there are some really useful bits of info x

Hi I'm new too...I have chosen to have a sleeve rather than a bypass because I feel it is a less drastic procedure. This was against the advice of my surgeon (who was pushing for a bypass) but I know it is the better option for me. Make sure you do your research and don't let anyone pressure you into something that you're not comfortable with. Good luck.

Would someone please let me know where I can find info and FAQ on the difference between a sleeve and a bypass?

Hi Cath,

I didn't see your post 4 days ago must have slipped under me radar) but now that I have I am adding a link for you to a similar thread:

http://www.wlsurgery.com/wls-gastri...ing-about-sleeve-but-might-have-one-help.html

I am pro-sleeve (as you can tell) but have included a bit of info on my replies on the thread above about the bypass and various "bypass v sleeve" threads.

There are more bypassers on here than sleevers, so plenty of bypass info and experience to gain from people here as well.

Thanks everyone for your help. I've been doing a LOT of reading (watched some interesting You Tube vids too) and I've decided to go for a bypass. Had my first consultation yesterday and the surgeon was very happy to go for it. Just got to get the date now........yippee!!

Back