• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

how can you afford it???

mermaid2708

new year...new me!x
the above question is one i have been asked several times since it has become public knowladge at work that i am paying to have a gastric bypass.

i am a single parent with one son and work 3 nights a week. my re-payments are aprox £155 a month.

i dont think 'normal' sized folks realise just how expensive it is being a fattie!!!

for me atleast...i take a taxi to work and back as i cant face public transport at night...there are young lads and some times at weekends 'merry' peeps and i feel sooooo self concious...this alone ups my transport bill from £8.50 to £36 a week!!!

then there is clothes...go to fattie shops and i find myself paying £30 for a basic nice top when if i went to 'normal' shop i could get one for a tenner!

then there is obviously the food bill...i noticed this the most since i have been on my pre op shake diet so just buying for my son...bill has more than halved and also no take aways etc...so thats down from £70ish a week to £30ish.

then there is all the little things...using more shower gel, body lotion hair remover etc...it must all add up.

i actually sat down the other day and worked out everything i will 'save' by being a 'normal' weight and size and do you know what i found......

my surgery repayments......will cost me less per month than i am saving!!!! :8855:

hi mermaid,
i too looked into surgery and am still considering it!
The ONLY thing that puts me off is the financing. I have tried 6 times to get funding through my pct but each time they have said no.
My questions are, where are you having the op? which op? how much? who has offered you the finance?

sorry didnt realise there were so many questions :D

not long to go now, glad your being so possitive,hope all goes well for you,on your jurney to a new youx

Sod what anyone says your paying the bill not them and like you have shown you will save so much more and once the finance is paid off you will have lost pounds and then gained pounds with saving money a win win situation..xx

hi mermaid,
i too looked into surgery and am still considering it!
The ONLY thing that puts me off is the financing. I have tried 6 times to get funding through my pct but each time they have said no.
My questions are, where are you having the op? which op? how much? who has offered you the finance?

sorry didnt realise there were so many questions :D

hi!...

1. i am having my surgery at nuffield taunton (staplegrove) through southwest bariatric.
2. i am having a laprascopic gastric bypass.
3. £10,500...which includes life aftercare. (first 2 yrs i can have as many check ups as i want & annual check ups for life, also life time access to dietitian etc)
4. i am lucky a family member has lent me half with no interest and i got the other half as a personal laon thru lloyds bank. southwest bariatric do not do finance, which i thought was a good thing as it means they are totally focused on care not finance and making more money from you in interest payments.

i hope i have answered all your questions!? :8855:

mermaid x

Its is a huge cost but I think when you consider the benefits of it and the life time savings you will make both financially and health wise then I think it can be totally justified.

I'm lucky to have 2 weight loss surgeries funded by the NHS but I know if they had refused then I would have found a way to go private as well as I could n't have continued the way I was and besides that I'd probably have been dead in a few years anyway.

You don't have to justify the cost to any one honey, you chose to go for and good for you.

Alia xxx

Back