• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Im sure my bypass has not worked !!!!!

Fat Again

Im at my wits end, I really don't think my bypass has worked.

I had to go private and got myself into debt and also used savings, I felt really selfish at the time but knew the op was my only hope. My PCT turned me down.

My op was on the 14th November, my weight loss has been very slow, but the most worrying thing is what I can eat.

I had this op to stop me eating certain foods, i.e. sweet stuff, however i have just eaten a doughnut no problem ????

Last night I had a bowl of chocolate Ice cream, which went down no problem.

I can eat chocolate and biscuits with no problem.

However when trying to eat dinner, I can only manage a few mouth fulls.

My husband has told me just not to eat sweet stuff, but surely if it was that easy I would not of put myself through a major op and all that bloody pain I had.

The company I went through offers 3 years after care, but that care is not medical care, it's just eating advice.

How can I find out if this op has really worked. I really feel like a failure - once again.

I too was turned down by my Pct so got a bank loan. I have some days where I can eat more food that others. I can still eat some sweet stuff like chocolate but only a couple.

I am no expert but what about trying the 5 day pouch test which would involve you going back to basics.

I didn't want to read and run so hopefully one of the more experienced bypassers will be along shortly to advise you more.

Good luck.

Oh dear me, anyone who says that a bypass is the easy route really needs to get on here & read posts like this to make them realise just how difficult it it.

I think the main thing you must remember is that the bypass is not a magic wand, it's a tool to help us on our journey. It unfortunately can't take away the cravings we still have for naughty foods. That is something we will all struggle with at times.

I know what you meant about your husband's comments, but I'm afraid we still have to have some discipline and willpower, and the strength to say no to certain foods.

I haven't had any sugar in my diet since my pre-op diet, 7 weeks ago & I don't crave it cos I don't have it. Before my operation, chocolate was my life, not a day went by when I didn't have any.
You will definitely feel that the more sugar you have, the more you will want, it's addictive stuff.

So, although you probably don't need to hear this right now, and as hard as it is for you, I think you're gonna have to try really hard to stay off the sweet stuff. You've paid all this money for your operation, the last thing you want is to not lose the weight you so desperately want to shed!

Remember, there are other things you can have if you fancy something sweet - Options hot chocolate, sugar free jelly, you can buy sugar free chocolates. I think Shellbell even has Skinny Cow ice lollies.

I wish you all the luck in the world, I know just how hard you are finding this, I have my own issues and am also finding it very difficult at times.

This is a massive change to our eating habits, something we have to re-learn all over again & none of us will get to goal without making a few mistakes along the way.

xx

FA - A 5 day pouch test sounds like a good idea to me. It will help you get back in touch with your pouch and learn to use it as a tool again......

I also went private and if i was in your situation I would go back to the people who performed the op on you and ask their advice, its the least you expect for all that money.

As for the sugary foods - I know everyone is different and some people dump at the sight of sugar and some people dont dump at all....

I hope you get yourself sorted soon, try and stay positive and keep looking ahead.

Mark x

It seems that we are able to eat crappy foods easier than the good stuff after bypass and it is our willpower that must keep us on the straight and narrow in order for our bypass to work as it was intended.

We all fall off the wagon from time to time and god how boring would we all be if we didn't - that's life up's and down's. Just take each day as it comes - if you know you cannot stop at one sweet thing then don't buy them and try to eat more of the good foods in order for you to go forward. I give myself a treat at night when i go to bed - my OH brings me up a chocolate hightlights and a 2 finger dark chocolate kitkat and i so enjoy it. If you feel you can't stop eating sweet things get some sugar free polo mints and suck them if you get the urge to eat something.

Sending you hugs with special fairy dust to help you through this time xx

Maybe an honest chat with the dietition from your team, i really understand where your coming from as this is my fear too . It isnt a miracle cure just a tool to help us along the way x heres hopeing you get back on track very soon x

Hi FA

You are eating and living on slidder foods, I.E foods that disitigrate to a liquid by the time they reach your pouch, thus liquid calories, you need to stop eating chocolate, sweets and crisps and start introducing harder foods high in protein that will fill your pouch and remain in the pouch until your next meal time. If you eat sliders the liquid will simply fall straight through your stoma and you wont ever feel full.

If you can eat these bad foods it sounds like your maybe not a dumper (like myself) it can be a blessing and a curse as you will need to be strong and resist bad food choices for good one's, though never dumping i'm able to eat anything i want (within reason) which gives me a greater range of foods available and i can have the odd treat from time to time without making myself sick.

You need to start getting disiplined and get a handle of this, as these bad habbits will slow or stop your weight lose.

I agree with SS - the foods you described are slider foods and will go down easier

"normal" food, as you say, you can only eat a little bit of - but those are the foods that will sustain you -

I too am having problems - feeling I can eat too much which I did not expect. But if I eat normal foods I do get full - and if I concentrate on protein foods I feel fuller for longer

Hope this makes sense - filling your pouch with good food is vital. And that way you can still enjoy a little of what you fancy now and again

I have a treat from time to time, but omg your brave eating a dough nut Lol. But on the whole your weight loss is quite good to be honest (nearly 3 stone in just under 2 months)thats over 5lb a week!!!. Ime thinking the 5 day pouch test is a lil bit soon at the mo. like silver surfer says eat a bit more protein meat ect, but if I feel like something sweet I have either a strawberry n cream protein shake (there just like a macdonald milk shake made with water) or a mini fun bar of milky way, or a chocolate high lights drink with 1 rich tea bikkie. Hope this helps Gail x

what is a 5 day pouch test? x

A 5 day pouch test is where you go back to basics. But with a difference like for the 1st & 2nd day you have liquids, day 3 is soft protein stuff like cottage cheese, eggs ect, day 4 is ground meat (minced) and day 5 is hard protein like chicken, steak, fish ect. Hope this helps Gail x P.s there is a sticky memo with this menu on, to be more presice
what is a 5 day pouch test? x

Unfortunatly the bypass is only a tool and to get the best out of it you need to know how to work it properly.

If you have a support package use it they may even offer some CBT to help you look at why you are sabortarging what you have got.

Did you have any psycological assessments before yr op. I know people worry about these and they are a compulsory at the hospital i had my bypass at but i also think they are an important part of the process.
Some people dont have them and go on to be sucessful loosers and will say wel look at me i never had one and im fine, but for the ones who do go on to struggle that early imput could just be the diffrence between sucess and feeling a failure.

Like gail has said yur lossesare good but by admitting yr weaknesses yr on the first stage to addressing them its all down to you now and how much you relly want this.

take care and phone that clinic
carole

Hi
I am preop and have no right at all commenting but you have posted so I will be honest,
I think you must be crazy or mad to go through the op and having to pay just to think you can carry on as normal, a donut ? chocolate ? I have three kids in my house and a fridge full of chocolate and dont touch it because I know I would be mad to, I have a full cupboard full of crisps and cakes but dont touch them either, believe me I would love to. You need to think why you have put your body and mind through this and get back on track. our brain is so advanced as is our body and if we give in and eat what we think our body wants we will want it more and more, the reason you can only fit a couple of mouthfuls of proper food in is because this is when your bypass is working with you, when you can eat a whole bar of chocolate or a donut is when you are cheating your bypass.
I really dont want to upset you or anyone . food I believe is an addiction why else do we need wls, but we need to re-educate ourselves and do the right thing, the odd treat is fine (it has to be we are human) but we all have to give 100% to wls to make it work as it is a tool to hold our hand.
I hope that you manage to see that you have put too much effort (and money) in to let yourself down, because it is only you that will be hurt by this. Your weight loss is fab so you cant be doing so wrong just think how amazing you could do if you could get your eating on the straight and narrow. x
Your hubby comments about not eating sweet things would it be an idea not to buy them and for him and any children you have to help you, opt for an alternative that you know they would enjoy and you can also have a little.
really wish you all the best x
Helen
x

Sorry to hear you are struggling. I too was going down the slippery slope of a biscuit here, a chocolate there over Christmas (surely one of the hardest times?!) but then I had a major dump which put me off pretty quick. But I also dont really enjoy proper foods yet. It is still early days for you and your body and mind are still adjusting. Maybe you could limit yourself, perhaps if you dont have any sweet things during the day but allow yourself a sweet hot choc or small thing at the end of the day? I know will power is easier said than done, otherwise we wouldnt be paying all this money and going through surgery, but also I find it helps if I dont have the stuff in the house. Thinking of you, be strong, 2010 is a whole new year xx

I decided prior to having my operation that I couldnt have everything I wanted and the body and life I craved. Something had to give and why put myself through 3 hours of surgery to change the way I eat and then carry on as before - you have to make a choice.

Youve had the surgery and of course its worked - the op doesnt cure your head - only you can do that with the help of a counsellor and maybe some hypnotherapy to kill those sweet cravings.

I would take it a day at a time - today Im not going to have anything I shouldnt - tomorrow is another day - tomorrow will soon become a week and then a month etc. The dramatic weight loss euphoria should take away any cravings for rubbish food - it certainly did with me. Also, if you dont have any rubbish in the house then you cant eat it - get rid of the temptation. Its a rotten shame you dont dump cause aversion therapy is the best of all! Good luck - you will get there.

There is some great advice here and I just wanted to repeat what has aleady been said and say you have to do something to cure the emotional aspect of eating sweet things. Easy for me to say I know cause I have been lucky - before surgery I lived on chocolate instead of meals, however, I have lost my sweet tooth after surgery and even diet pop is too sweet and I have to dilute it. I did want an after eight mint over Christmas but promised myself that I would only have it if I ate a healthly christmas dinner. This I did and treated myself to 1 after eight mint over the whole of Christmas and New Year. My advice is to relook at why you wanted the surgery and what you went through to get the surgery. I was lucky the NHS paid for my surgery but even though I know how my family and I suffered during the time of the surgery and it helps me know that surgery is definately not the easy answer and that we need to work hard to achieve what we want. Good luck and remember where all this started for you wanting to change your life xxx

You are too early post op for the 5 day pouch test, 5-6 months is the soonest they suggest for that. I hope you can get to grips with this because only you can do this. Your team should be able to advise you on how but you will have to implement it. Not dumping always makes things hard for a sweet toothed person but your RNY won't work if you keep on this road. Its harsh but you need to change your eating habits to the usual healthy foods. You can do it, just try bit by bit day by day, try some of the sweet alternatives suggested they do work.

You will get masses of support here, we're all on our individual battles to get the weight gone

M

i'm not sitting in judgement here with my comments, this is my honest opinion, RNY or any other surgery including the band and sleeve, are just an aid in the battle to lose weight, let's be honest, we all choose surgery cos we've been there and tried everything else, for most of us food is a compulsion, an emotional crutch that we've relied on for all our lives up until the surgery. Now after surgery those compulsions to eat crap are still there, for most of us, always will be there, even at goal weight, the physical side of losing weight with surgery is the easiest bit, dealing psychologically with losing weight is a whole different ball game, it seems to me you need to speak to your dietician and chat about your problems you are having, the surgery is not and never will be a waste of money, it will be the best thing you've ever done, you just need the extra support to get you through it, but you must seek this help because without it, it wll be a hard slog x

I have to give it to you!! I think you have been so brave on here to admit something a lot wouldnt have done, and I realy admire you for that because in truth there will be so many people that have eaten or drank the naughty stuff and felt embarrassed to admit it. that is the 1st step as in a lot of adicts to other things (yours being sugary foods). But after reading all these fantastic posts it might give you a wake up call now (a kick up the butt lol) and Ime sure they will sink in. Like I said your doing fantastic sweetie keep up the good work. Ime with you 100% take care. Kind regards Gail x

Back