• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

In a band vs bypass debate?

kerry2010

i have been accepted for funding for surgery, my cousin is private band post-op,
my friend has also just been accepted for funding and can't decide, and another friend is going private for banding.
were kinda having a debate over which choice is best, i personally would like bypass but one of my friends thinks its a bit drastic to rearrange your insides for weight loss which makes me quite frustrated?
I was telling my cousin how much weight you can lose and quick you can hit your target in bypass and she was getting really jealous and narky with me?:sigh:
I thought we was all i the same boat of trying to get where we wanted to be physically and mentally with ourselves?
For me iv been brought up eating good homemade wholesome meal's of stews and crumble's, im not a junk food addict, i don't like pre-packed foods i find a lot of them make me feel sick, but bypass would control the amount i eat and my sweet tooth?
but i'm being made feel guilty to choosing bypass?
I see see a lot of people converting to bypass in the end anyway isnt it easier to just go strait to bypass?
There are such pro's and con's to both, can anybody please shed any light, or just share there experience's and really appreciate it.
many thanks,
and good luck and love to all!!!!!xx xx

Im bypassed didnt want the sleeve or band cos of them being removed 10yrs or so down the line but at the end of the day its your choice but make sure that its you that decides and not the people around you with opionions and as for rearranging your insides for surgery not sure what you mean about that i just shrank my liver lol good luck

hi, i was told that a band would would not be suitable for me due to my size therefore i no option but i'm glad i had the bypass. xx

Im bypassed didnt want the sleeve or band cos of them being removed 10yrs or so down the line but at the end of the day its your choice but make sure that its you that decides and not the people around you with opionions and as for rearranging your insides for surgery not sure what you mean about that i just shrank my liver lol good luck

you cant remove the sleeve - its a forever surgery! they remove part of your stomach so unless they keep it pickled, it would be very hard to reverse the surgery :8855:

Kerry, i didnt go for the band because it still takes a lot of work after, and id also read here about a few bandits opting for revisions to sleeves or bypasses. Saying that, there are some very successful bandits around. It was the right tool for them.

I was scared of the bypass - all the re-wiring scared me a little. And the dumping frightened me to death! But bypassers have excellent weight loss.

I opted for a sleeve, which in my eyes, was the middle of the road. It would allow me to have the most normal and varied post op diet, say 5 years down the line.

All ive ever wanted was the ability to have a 'normal' diet without gorging on crap. My sleeve has helped me do that.

Good luck with your research x

I think if I'd have known about a sleeve or wrap I would have gone for one of them given the choice.
Don't feel pressured, do what you think will suit you personally because you are the one who has to live with it.

Bands are meant to be in for life barring anything going wrong btw

I was offered bypass and the band, But I chose the band as I dont have a sweet tooth and it suited me because of portion sizes etc. If your honest about wot ur eating etc the surgeon will help you decide which is the best course of action for you. everyone is different xx

I think I would have had the sleeve too if I had known about it when I was researching. They didn't offer it me at my first appointment but did say as I was walking down to theatre are you sure you don't want a sleeve - but I didn't know what it was and felt it was too stressful to make such an instant decision.

Its such a personal choice that its almost not worth debating because every choice is the right choice....for that person. There is no right or wrong and everyone has a right to make their own decision but it must be made with all the information.
And Weeble, those nurses/people need shooting for suggesting a sleeve on the way to theatre for a band. That is bang out of order!

Kerry- you will know what feels right for you :)x

I originally thought of a band as it was less drastic but after researching (mainly on here) I decided to go with the bypass because I am an all day grazer and the band would still allow me to eat in that way whereas the bypass wouldn't. I don't have a sweet tooth but I do love bread and the heap of butter that goes on top - it is difficult to eat soft white bread after the bypass so my cheese sarnies are out of the window !
You must look at your eating habits - do yourself a food diary writing down what and when you eat and take it with you when you go to the hospital, they will be able to advise you which would be the best operation for you but at the end of the day it must be your decision to go with whichever will work best for you long term.

Good luck

Lyndsay will explain both options to you when you get your first appointment. And unless there is a medical reason the choice is yours. I chose the bypass because I have a sweet tooth and the dumping from a bypass if I indulge that sweet tooth should keep me on the straight and narrow. That the portion sizes and with my own efforts I hope I will succeed in getting to my goal and staying there.
As for others family or friends being jealous that is their problem they support you or they don't if they don't then move on without them. Tough love is never easy but you need positive people to support you not negatives to drag you down.

Angelajoy ''I originally thought of a band as it was less drastic but after researching (mainly on here) I decided to go with the bypass because I am an all day grazer and the band would still allow me to eat in that way whereas the bypass wouldn't. I don't have a sweet tooth but I do love bread and the heap of butter that goes on top - it is difficult to eat soft white bread after the bypass so my cheese sarnies are out of the window !''

Angela, i don't want to upset you or anything but i have NEVER had a problem eating any kind of bread. Some bypassers struggle with bread, some don't, only time will tell!!!

Penelope1008 ''Lyndsay will explain both options to you when you get your first appointment. And unless there is a medical reason the choice is yours. I chose the bypass because I have a sweet tooth and the dumping from a bypass if I indulge that sweet tooth should keep me on the straight and narrow. That the portion sizes and with my own efforts I hope I will succeed in getting to my goal and staying there.

I'm sure you have read on many of my posts before that i DO NOT dump! Okay very early on post op i had some no added sugar angel delight and went a bit warm for a few minutes. But this happened one time only. Nothing makes me dump. I have heard of it developing later on for bypassers who haven't done it initially and live in hope. I have to say all i know who don't dump were also diabetic pre op!!!
As for others family or friends being jealous that is their problem they support you or they don't if they don't then move on without them. Tough love is never easy but you need positive people to support you not negatives to drag you down.''

At the end of the day you have to choose what surgery is going to work for you, and the easiest/best way to do this is to research and listen to your consultant. It is not the choice of your friends or Mary from down the road. This is going to be a decision that has to last you a lifetime. I have to say though, when you mention 'fast' losses just remember this!

Not everyone loses it quickly, i am not alone in being someone who still has a way to goal and is having to work my butt off in the gym and watch every mouthful of food... Wls is not a miracle cure, it's the means to an end.. xxx

Jed what are you talking about?If you had a bypass you did more than shrink your liver!You did indeed have your insides rearranged!Did you not get told that before surgery?Maz x

All the above. The main thing is you understand your habits and what you hope to achieve from the surgery in terms of these, be honest with yourself, be honest with your surgeon / provider and do your homework. With good unbiased advice from your surgeon you will make your own choice.

I would hate to think that anyone should be jealous of you, regardless of the option you take it will not be a walk in the park and your weight loss will be well earned. If that is really the case then take stock of those that are "close" to you.

I wish you the very best of luck and this forum is the perfect place to get a well rounded view of the procedures and life thereafter.

hugs

Back