• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Information Needed on Waiting Times Please

Tatiana

Hi all,

Part of the conversation with the surgeon this morning was around how long the process is from referral to surgery is almost identical nationwide.

What I'd like to ask site members is how long it took from referral to surgery for you and which hospital you were under. Would also be interesting to know if you had to go through applying for funding before you were referred to the hospital or if funding was applied for by your surgeon as part of the process.

Many thanks in advance,

Tatiana

Hi ya I had my op April 16th this yr I was refered from my gp august 2010 had my first appointment September then referred to surgeon had my appointment November then funding was sent off for it got agreed December then like I say surgery was April I didn't have a very long wait I know people that wait much longer I had my op at Solihull spire hospital but through Birmingham heartlands hospital xx

Throught the 8/9 months I have been going to the weight clinic funding was never discussed. But i have an appointment on the 25th and then a phsychologis appointment on the 31st and I will be asking loads of questions this time. Going through this site has opened my eyes to all sorts of things and the list to ask gets longer each day...

Good luck

I'm in Calderdale, West Yorkshire.

My journey so far:

Jan 09 - Went to see my GP to ask for surgery and he put me on Oristat for one year.
Jan 10 - Went back to my GP who then agreed to apply for funding.
May 10 - PCT granted funding for me.
Aug 10 - Seminar meeting
Oct 10 - Initial surgeon appointment, discussed options.
Oct 10 - Endoscopy appointment
Nov 10 - Dietician appointment
Dec 10 - 2nd Surgeon appointment booked but they had to cancel.
Jan 11 - Rescheduled surgeons appointment - again was cancelled as surgeon was called away from his clinic for an emergency.
Feb 11 - Overnight sleep study.
Mar 11 - Sleep clinic diagnosed me with Sleep apnoea and was issued with CPAP equipment.
March 11 - 3rd time lucky - had my 2nd surgeons appointment.
June 11 - 3rd surgeons appointment - discussed my surgery again and said he was going to take it to the Bariactric MDT
Aug 11 - GP was asked to re-refer me for surgery
Aug 11 - Finally listed for surgery
Sept 11 - Pre op assessment
Oct 11 - Phone call to give me my date for op - 15th Nov.

It has seemed like a lifetime of waiting, but now its almost here, it hasn't actually felt that long. Its given me lots of time to study and really look in to all the pros and cons of such a decision. I am now ready to take the next step and get my life back.

Good luck with your journey :)

Referred around Christmas last year after finished weight management, had seminar around feb-mar, nurse app sep, dietician app Oct, surgeon app today and got my date for 4th jan :) never applied for funding as it's surgeon's choice who gets op at rakelane.

I applied for funding and i got a letter from my PCT to say that they had received it on the 23rd December 2010.

In January 2011,i was refused funding in January because i had not got a report lasting 6 months from a dietican.

Thanks for all the replies so far - for fairness, my story is.....

Nov 2009 - saw GP and he agreed to apply for funding.

April 2010 - after 3 appeals I received word from GP that funding awarded and shown list of hospitals I could be referred to. Chose local hospital and GP sent referral to surgeon. As shown evidence to PCT of weight loss management through commercial groups, use of medications and exercise programmes no need to persue these as part of referral.

May 2010 - received information pack from hospital. Appointment letter with endocrinologist and dietician for August 2010.

Aug 2010 - seen by endocrinologist and dietician. Received letter for appointment with surgeon for 4 weeks later. End of august received letter from psychologist wanting to see me before surgeons appointment - 12 days notice only but not in country so booked for later in September 2010.

Sept. 2010 - seen by surgeon and sleeve gastrectomy agreed on. Seen by psychologist who decided the appointment was 'sub-optimal'.

Oct. 2010 - received letter after mdt - approved for sleeve but would like 2nd psychology review before moving on. Received letter offering psychology appointment in June 2011 at different hospital. Had barium swallow.

June 2011 - seen by consultant
psychiatrist who felt no concern about my having surgery. Said he would discuss at mdt following week.

Aug. 2011 - finally discussed at mdt. Agreed to add me to new waiting list at local hospital. Letter received a week later. Given date for op in September 2011.

Sept. 2011 - start liver shrinkage diet. 6 days later I query why not received letter regarding admission the following week, to be told no operating list that week so would not have happened so not classed as cancellation!

Oct. 2011 - told I'm unlikely to reach top of waiting list until mid/late December 2011 and never was far enough up the waiting list to have a surgery date in September!

Tatiana

Last edited:
Back