• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

LIFE INSURANCE & WLS

j.u.s.t.l.i.z.

Runs Srh Support Group
i have one small life insurance policy that i took out before i started my wls journey, i recently tryed to take out a new policy and i thought it would be easy as im alot healthier and have more of a healthy bmi, we filled in all the forms and the insurance company sent a nurse to do a medical type of thing.
A letter came refusing me insurance unless i pay a very high premium as im now classed as a "high risk":sigh: since surgery.

How stupid is this i was more of a high risk when i was over weight !!!

i have phoned a few other companies and explained what happened and do they also consider me a risk ? they all say similar.

:argh:

has anyone else had this problem since surgery ?

God no...glad I got mine sorted out a little while back...keep us informed as to what happens.

i will try again i think in maybe 6 months time, im wondering now if to keep my trapp shut to the company i have the existing policy with about my change of curcumstances.

is anything in life simple lol

I wonder if you have to inform the insurance companies that we have had surgery

im not sure all i know is that if i want another policy its gonna cost me more than a average person, the policy that i do have is just a small one and i dont know if i should tell them about my change of circumstances.

i tried to take a policy and as it was pending surgery i was obliged to inform them otherwise it would have been void.

forgot to say that i was declined as a client

Last edited:
Best bet Liz is to call an independent insurance broker, as they will be able to tell you whether you have to inform them, and whether the situation will change in 6 months etc.

i will do, thanks shel

I called my critical illness insurance company before I had the surgery and they said it wouldn't affect it but I need to put in writing what I have had done so its on record.

Up date just called critical illness company who my life insurance is with and I dont have to inform them unless I have been with them for less than 3 months and its been nearly 8 years, so I am ok

Last edited:
I remember some time back, someone saying on these forums that Gastric Bypass surgery's fatality rate is measured over twelve months, meaning that if we die within twelve months post Op. it's put down to the surgery.
Other types of surgery are over three months only.
So this may have something to do with it.
Just a thought!:tomato:

What to keep in mind is if you DONT inform them and God forbid had to claim and they found out, you can forget getting a payment :mad: Insurance companies are notorious for using any possible loophole, change in circumstances or anything to avoid paying out.

My dad worked for an Insurance company for most of his life until he retired and told us of some real horror stories. They really will use any old excuse :( Same goes for house and car insurance too, its really not worth the risk

i have one small life insurance policy that i took out before i started my wls journey, i recently tryed to take out a new policy and i thought it would be easy as im alot healthier and have more of a healthy bmi, we filled in all the forms and the insurance company sent a nurse to do a medical type of thing.
A letter came refusing me insurance unless i pay a very high premium as im now classed as a "high risk":sigh: since surgery.

How stupid is this i was more of a high risk when i was over weight !!!

i have phoned a few other companies and explained what happened and do they also consider me a risk ? they all say similar.

:argh:

has anyone else had this problem since surgery ?

Hey Liz

I work in insurance and never came across this, im in Ireland though. I had one guy who had bypass he was declined but that was because he hadnt lost alot yet they told him to come back when he had. Id say they will load you ie charge a higher price but do shop around just cos the other told you they would also charge you more doesnt mean it would be very high some premiums only go up a very small amount. My advice shop around and get it sorted sooner rather than later the older you get the dearer it is so better to do it soon.

hope that helps xxx

I called my critical illness insurance company before I had the surgery and they said it wouldn't affect it but I need to put in writing what I have had done so its on record.

Up date just called critical illness company who my life insurance is with and I dont have to inform them unless I have been with them for less than 3 months and its been nearly 8 years, so I am ok

teens right guys if you have an existing plan and are not changing your cover or anything there is no need to inform the life company. This only makes a difference if you are taking out a new plan. I work in insurance...tut...tut....i know!!!

Hey Liz

I work in insurance and never came across this, im in Ireland though. I had one guy who had bypass he was declined but that was because he hadnt lost alot yet they told him to come back when he had. Id say they will load you ie charge a higher price but do shop around just cos the other told you they would also charge you more doesnt mean it would be very high some premiums only go up a very small amount. My advice shop around and get it sorted sooner rather than later the older you get the dearer it is so better to do it soon.

hope that helps xxx

hi lilly, im gonna have another look around, thanks for your advice its much appreciated.

liz x

Back