• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

low carb no sugar chocolate

emma&alex

its my birthday on friday, and i've obviously told family & other half no chocolate or birthday cake etc.

well a parcel just came from low carb megastore, so i opened it wondering what was in it & my other half has ordered a bag of 0g carb boiled sweets & a low carb sugar free chocolate bar.
i just rang him, as hes working away in london, and he said he got them as we're going to the cinema on friday night & he wanted to get me a treat.

see the thing is, it would be nice, but i can happily do without at the moment. it'll be nice to keep them until i really fancy something like this so i can have a small piece every now & then, and then i can have it without feeling too bad. which is what i think im gonna do.
but my question is...are they really bad anyway? should i be avoiding them at all costs or is it ok to have a treat like that every now & then.

i cant help thinking chocolate is still chocolate & sweets are still sweets..even if they are sugar & carb free/or low carb.

what would/do you lot do?

I personally have avoided all types of chocolate by that i mean bars of chocolate or chocolate covered sweets. The only reason i have is because i was addicited to chocolate pre op and i'm frightened i won't dump and i'll get the taste for it again and that frightens me. That said thats only from a personal point of view, i know a lot of people who have the odd treat of low carb/diabtic chocolate. Its my birthday on Saturday so if you decide to have some have a bit for me too. Have a lovely birthday xx

happy birthday for sarturday!

see the funny thing is, im not fussed about chocolate really, i can have 1 piece of it and stop because its sweet & i find it sickly. which is why i thought the band would work for me, as my biggest issue is stodgy food & portion size. I know its not going to send me into a chocolate cheating frenzy..and ive got a band so i wont dump. but i feel really ridiculously guilty for considering having some on my birthday!
im going to spend the next 3 days fretting over 'cheating'..i'll probably just deicde not to have it & keep it in the cupboard for times of weakness!

It's a really good question Emma...

I'm trying to avoid in all honesty... since I have had diabetic chocs bought for me and I didn't like them.... can't fool me... I had the taste for Cadburys....

So if you aren't really fussed, put them on a high shelf or just take a couple on Friday and share them...

Have a wonderful Birthday Emma on Friday and Allie on Saturday...

Love to you both xxx

The best diabetic chocolate I ever found was from Thorntons, it was so nice that I had to stop having it because more than two would give me rather violent runs and it was so nice that two were never enough lol
Post-op I simply dont have chocolate in any solid form, I have had a few hot chocolate drinks but not solid chocolate and the drinks are rare. I know that if I got back into chocolate then it would be a slippery slope to losing the stoic control that my op has afforded me up to now and so it just isnt worth it.
If you really dont really care much about it then just tell hubby that you appreciate the thought but you will leave it in the cupboard for in the future. Just go easy with diabetic chocolate, it can give you the runs if you have enough of it.
Steph xx

I can't offer any input, just wanted to tell the chocaholics i used to live very close to Cadburys factory in Bournville and if you walk by the right entrance the smells that glide up your nose are awesome! Every xmas i used to go with my ex sister in law to the staff shop for cheap goodies... :) :) xx

Awww Julie, that wonderful place in Bourneville!
I did the factory tour and it was a great day out many years ago...
Very quaint village too!
Much love to you xxx

I've had the no added sugar chocs and sweets and I haven't dumped with them (I'm quite a sensative dumper as well) and they're nice but I don't have them every week. Maybe once every 3 months or so I'll indulge if I REALLY feel like it but since my operation, I've lost all craving for chocolate. I can take it or leave it and the same goes for boiled sweets as well.

There is a good thing that stops you from eating too much no added sugar choc anyway as Steph said earlier, if you eat too much of it, you get a really bad case of the runs.

Back