• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Maintenance calorie intake?

mr97

[FONT=&quot]Once you are at 'goal' do you have to choose foods dense in calories – not crap - in order to maintain your weight?

With the stomach pouch being so little it's perfect to help with weight loss, but I can't help thinking how it works when you need to adjust to a weight maintenance food intake.

Being very heavy and quite tall, my dietician adjusted my eating plan so that I was eating around 2000 - 2500 cals a day. Since sticking to this plan religiously, I've lost 8stone since I started my weight loss program last Aug - about a stone a month.

I know that as my bodyweight comes down my food intake will lessen in order to continue losing weight, however, even at goal, for my height and build I am going to need to get around 3000cals to maintain my basic metabolic rate - less if I'm not being so active.
When I have read posts about people only having around 800cals per day, I feel nervous about my imminent bypass surgery as I think I would be doing myself harm on such a small intake, regardless of the absence of hunger.

Even though I have mentioned calories by way of food intake, I really do not count them as I have been focusing on protein intake and portion control. I only weigh myself monthly too as I can become obsessed with weight if I'm not careful and end-up falling into the trap of having the scales dictate my happiness.

This is a very premature question as I haven't even had my op yet! My bypass date is 21st March next Thursday. I’m currently on the liver diet so my thinking is a little all over the place and I seem to be anxious and excited in equal measure. [/FONT]
:sigh:

Your pouch stretches a fair bit over time. And not vey many people I m aware of stick to 800 cals. I eat 1500. I know some who can easily manage 2000

I maintain on between 1200 and 1500 which seems to be about right for me, and I think even when I was losing but eating normal foods I was on around 1000. So far as I can remember I only ever had 800 on odd days or before I was on full range of foods, so quite early post op.

Thank you for your time ladies. I'm probably worrying needlessly, something I tend to do when I get anxious about things.

Back