• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

tticom

Hi everyone,

My name is Niall and I'm 42 year old male, 152.5kgs, 25 stones or 336llbs. My BMI is 43.

I'm scheduled for surgery on the 28th of February and begin my two week pre-op diet on Thursday. I'm easing myself into it by cutting all cakes, sweets, crisps and any other unhealthy food supplements as of today.

I've been really encouraged by all the success stories I've read and watched (on YouTube), but for the first time I've encountered the concept of prolonged stalls on this forum. That does worry me, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see how my body responds post-op.

In my head I'm still slim, but in the mirror... Well I hate what in see in the mirror. So much so that there are almost no photos of me in the family album. My excuse has always been that I'm behind the camera but the reality is that... Well, you know...

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting my life back. I'm determined to make this a success and my journey starts today.

Hi Niall

Pleased to meet you. I'm due to have my op two weeks today so just that little bit ahead of you

Good luck

Hi Niall and welcome to the site :) Good luck on your weight loss journey - only a couple of days before it all kicks in! ;)

Welcome,

I'm 10 weeks post op and having the gastric bypass is the best decision i've made so far.....10 weeks ago i was out shopping and resting on the shopping trolley every 5mins because i experienced extreme back pain merely by just standing for more than 5 mins, and today ....well lets just say ive been shopping all day, walking up n down the streets with no shortness of breath or back pain.....yipeeeee!!!!! And this is just the beginning....

You will begin to notice such things as the weight starts dropping off and u begin to whizz around!!!! Good Luck, we're all here with you, through the ups n downs :) x

Hi Niall! I am getting the sleeve on Wednesday and I feel the same way you do. In my mind I am skinny, but I can't figure out who the person is in the pictures. I no longer like taking pictures. Anyway, good luck with your surgery and look forward to talking to you!

Thank you all so much for your kind words of encouragement.

You know my only worry about this process is what is the adjustment like immediately post-op?

How do you feel, i.e. pain, discomfort, hunger and/or tiredness?
Has the op affected your relationship with food. Do you still crave the same things?

I'm one day into my pre-op diet and I went to bed hungry last night for the first time in a long time. At the moment I still feel hungry but I'm not at the point of becoming short tempered, yet!
Does the hunger go away post-op?
This is the bit that my wife dreads, because she worries that I'll turn into an unbearable grump.

Hi Niall just popped in to say hi and welcome :D. I'm a few 6ish months away from the bypass yet and look forward to sitting on the losers bench soon x

Hi. I'm fairly new too. I was sleeved on 24th Jan and so am coming up for three weeks post op.
Firstly, best of luck with your prep diet and subsequent op.
My exerience op wise (although you are haing a different op) is that it wasn't what I would call "fun" but was quite bearable especially given the fact that you know it's the start of your new life! I was in hospital with 2 bypassers and another sleever and my best advice is to push through the drowsiness and pain and get moving as soon as possible (they will encourage you to do so anyway but give it your all). The 3 of us who moved more, faired better in terms of pain as it helps shift the wind to a place that you can get rid of it and for me that was the key to being so much more comfortable! Leave any bashfulness at the door and be prepared for a bit of public flatulence! lol Its all for the greater good.
Post op I have to remind myself to eat as I don't have any hunger at all (whereas during the prep diet, there were times I could have chewed my arm off to be honest.) If you're a big sweet things eater (like me!)be prepared for some headaches etc for the first few days but this will pass. It doesn't get any easier over the 2 week period but the prospect of an uncomplicated op and a nice trim liver is a great incentive I'd say and what's two weeks in the overall scheme of things? The weight dropped off me during this time which is also very encouraging. My dietician warned me that there would likely be some idiot who said something about it being a shame that I couldn't just stick to this diet longterm.................enter stage left my beautifully slim sister in law!!! Grrrrrrrr!!! Let it be water of a ducks back as only other people with the same level of problem can understand.
Good luck again - are you doing a food diet or milk / soups etc?

Thanks for your reply.

I've also been warned about the wind before, but to be honest that's the least of my worries.

I'm lucky in that I'm fairly thick skinned (as well as fat, lol) so what other people may say just doesn't enter my head. And if they do pipe up I'll have to watch how I put them in their place. This is one of my wife's fears.

Pre-op did you wonder if you really needed surgery?
In my head I know I do, in my heart I still think I'm thin so this seems pretty extreme.
But, in my head I know that future looks pretty bleak if I don't do this.

Surgery didn't enter my head for years and years and I'm different to you in that I have NEVER been anything but very overweight. I have 3rd birthday pictures where I was fat. I did question the need for surgery because I thought I should be able to control my eating and get some weight off but 35 years of trying and failing were a pretty big giveaway that it wasn't going to happen.
I'm the biggest of wimps and a pessimist through and through so I was very worried about complications and dying etc but even though post op there are still alot of hurdles to come I'm not worried about that now!
Lol re the wind..............you might change your mind post op as it bloomin hurts!
Go for it and don't hold back with the haters (sorry Mrs Wifey, but the so and sos need to be told!), I wish I'd had more courage with them over the years as they make fat quips at me (with a fag in their hands guzzling their 8th pint that night!) lol

Welcome,

I'm 10 weeks post op and having the gastric bypass is the best decision i've made so far.....10 weeks ago i was out shopping and resting on the shopping trolley every 5mins because i experienced extreme back pain merely by just standing for more than 5 mins, and today ....well lets just say ive been shopping all day, walking up n down the streets with no shortness of breath or back pain.....yipeeeee!!!!! And this is just the beginning....

You will begin to notice such things as the weight starts dropping off and u begin to whizz around!!!! Good Luck, we're all here with you, through the ups n downs :) x

Hi,

I've been reading about dumping syndrome, and it scares me quite a bit. Have you experienced it and do you know how to avoid it?

Hi,

I've been reading about dumping syndrome, and it scares me quite a bit. Have you experienced it and do you know how to avoid it?

I have and it isn't pleasant. The best way to avoid it is to eat fresh healthy food. Nothing fatty processed, or high in sugar. My dietitian advised to avoid anything that has more than 10g of sugar or fat per 100g

you learn by ur mistakes harsh one i know but everyone is different what effects 1 person wont effect another
you will learn what ur triggers are some people never suffer others do
the trick is take things slow dont rush do at ur own pace dont worry too much what others are doing and dont stress about scales

Hola, the dumping syndrome?

No i've not experienced it Niall.....Paula is right, i think u only get it when u eat something you're not supposed to at the stage you're at....to be honest i never had much of a sweet tooth so me n sugar never got on so didnt have the urge to eat desserts, chocolates or sweets after surgery....i'm more of a savoury girl..,.pizzas, fries, fish burgers, lasagna, etc etc and since i've stayed away from such high fat foods, no dumping!!!! Yippeee

Don't worry, everyones body reacts to food differently, i've been sick from eating scrambled eggs and it put me off from any urges i had to eat food that my new stomach cannot tolerate :) .....at the moment i'm elated at the fact that i can eat
my homemade spaghetti bolognaise!!!!!!!.....beats living on egg custard with rice and weetabix lol.....take it nice n slow and u will be fine :) x

Back