• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Non Surgical Surgery Qs

ICAWM

Hi

I'm anticipating surgery in August. I've read what to expect with operation, post op etc but what I don't know is:

* do I have to remove nail polish?
* do I have to remove all jewellery and piercings?
* will they catheterise me?

I normally have gel polish which has to be properly removed. I never go naked.

My wedding ring is jammed on my fat swollen finger and will only come off with the weight. I have at least one piercing that's never been removed ...

I want to know if I need to wax first!!

Any tips gratefully received :)

Hi

I'm anticipating surgery in August. I've read what to expect with operation, post op etc but what I don't know is:

* do I have to remove nail polish?
* do I have to remove all jewellery and piercings?
* will they catheterise me?

I normally have gel polish which has to be properly removed. I never go naked.

My wedding ring is jammed on my fat swollen finger and will only come off with the weight. I have at least one piercing that's never been removed ...

I want to know if I need to wax first!!

Any tips gratefully received :)

Hi there, I can answer a couple of your questions. I was bypassed on 21/5/14, I didn't have to remove my wedding band they just taped it up and I didn't have to wax and I was allowed to keep my own pants on throughout the surgery, and no they didn't catheterise me. I cant help with the piercings/nail varnish bit as I dont do/have either but Im sure somebody will be along soon to answer these questions for you. Good luck with your journey x

Heya!

Yes you will have to remove nail polish etc and all piercings will also have to be removed for surgery. Try not to worry about piercings closing over, you'll be ok for about 2days afterwards :)

I agree with the above, if the jewellery can't be removed, they will tape over it.

I had a catheter following sleeve surgery but not everyone has one inserted.

All the best for your op day!! Xx

All piercings removed - including any intimate ones. False teeth removed too, if you have any.
Basically, if its metal and you can remove it, take it off/out.

Nail varnish definitely needs to come off.

I had a R-N-Y at St Richards, and wasnt catheterised. Had to have 100% cotton knickers though....

Hi I was just wondering when the hospital give you all the information for post op what to bring in ect ? Will this be on my pre op?

I'm also an august surgery, what is your date?

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

yep nail polish has to be removed so they can see the nail bed and so that the sats monitor can pick up the blood oxygen levels

peircings need removing too. i didnt get round to putting my earrings in till 2 weeks later and was just fine

i wore my on underwear which were cut off me and i was catheterized for 3 days

Blimey, quite a variety of responses!

I'll find out at pre-op as I normally have gel nails which may pose a problem. Most piercings can come out but one might be tricky...

I'm due back for pre op on 11 July and provisional op date of 13 August.

I'm nervous of being too optimistic unless rug get pulled from beneath me. Been building up to this for so long!

Back