• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Operations that have gone wronish

fatbutnot4eva

Loves her gorgeous family
Hi
Sorry not a great topic I just wondered out of you all how many of your operations had gone not quite right.

I am really considering the Bypass after being told no to the band and for some reason this 1 in 100 death ratio is causing me problems !!!

I just wanted to know if or how many of you had problems during or after your op that could have been life threatening.

I just need to think for every outcome.

I need to make sure that it is worth risking my life for if that makes sence, I just cant justify perhaps leaving my 3 babies with no mum because they are only 7 4 and 1, not that it is any different form leaving any child but how can it be expained to some one who loves their mum no matter what that she died bacuse she didnt want to be fat !

I have been told Mr Ammori has only ever "lost" 2 patients and both had health problems. I am healthy other than being obese but wondered it there are other reasons.
I just looked at the death ratio in childbirth nd I am sure it is 1 in 100 and I have had 3 kids and it would never have stoppped me having them.

Thanks sorry such a morbid post x

I look at it like this if I did not get this op (hopefully I will), I may not be around long enough to see them grow up. This in itself makes me so sad. I have missed out on so much being overweight I haven't been able to run around the park with them etc. They are now 14 and 11 and if I don't get this op then who is to say that I will see them into adulthood and that breaks my heart. I like you am relatively health aside from the obesity and apparently because of that I don't qualify for surgery funding, even though my bmi is nearly 60. Sorry if this seems the wrong thing to be saying but I so hope to get the chance to have this op. Take care.

I had 3 pregnancies, one was vacuum and my son was in special care for 1 week and I haemorraged twice, my next 2 pregnancies were sections, all 3 of mine carried risks and it never put me off, I might have another baby.... maybe try next year (I mightn't want to ruin my new figure)....I'll see

What im saying is if we listened to all the risks and cons etc in life concerning many things we mightn't go through with anything, if you think you desperately need this surgery then you should go for it or you could continue to get bigger and bigger and eat yourself into an early grave, is that what you want, over eating carries its own risks not just surgery!!

Only you can make the decision but im glad I went through with mine, I cried my eyes out leaving my children but I didn't dwell on the fact I might never see them again or I never would have got on the plane, I just knew I needed to do it and im so glad I did

Kate x

My surgeon had (at the time of my surgery), done 200 + operations and had lost one patient. Yes it happens but then any form of surgery for any condition is dangerous. What I do know first hand is that prior to surgery, you have to have all manner of tests to reinforce the fact that you are as fit as you possibly can be as noone - surgeon or anesthetist wants you to have problems. If they dont think you are fit enough, they wont operate. Mr Ammori enforced that with you by telling you that you that the band is not the way forward for you. Ive looked at your stats and there are people much larger than you (including myself) who have sailed through the operation both here and in the USA. Its normal and natural to be scared. There is no way I would encourage you to have a bypass if you truly thought it wasnt for you - by the way, it is reversable but no surgeon would tell you that! Good luck in what ever decision you make.

Hi there

I know its very worrying with all the "bad" press lately with bandings going wrong and deaths that have occured in the paper due to wls complications etc, this has been on my mind lately as I have 2 rugrats (kids,lol) and a oh too................ but at the end of the day I have comorbidities that effect my health day in and day out and if (big if) I get offered for wls etc over the period after wls these symptoms barring one will be vamoosed !! So I tend to look at the bigger picture. The question you have to ask your self are you quite happy to carry on with your weight prob (sorry didnt know how else to word that) and live your life the way you are, ask your self what kinda of an impact is it having on your life, your kids life, what does it hinder you doing etc, every day impact on your health. And if you answer yes and you could carry on like you are, maybe (only maybe) you have not reached the end of the line and dont need to take the next step (wls).......sorry if this offends but I cannot voice it any other way!! Good luck in your journey,

All the best - Me Julie xx

Thanks. No I cant go on the way I am, I am sat here with aching knee's and I have not even walked far.
I think it will be the part leaving my kids they are too young to know what I am doing so it will be a lie to get them to understand where I am going for a few days I woudl hate for them never to see me again.
Thanks again x

The way i see it is that if i carry on at this weight then maybe i wont live another 10 yrs, my life is not good and my mobility is getting worse and time goes on.
I have a gorgeous 17 yr old son and have missed out on so much with him as have weighed 27 stone since he was 6:)
I think there are risks with any surgery but we take risks every day we step outside of our homes,when we cross a road or drive our cars or go in a plane.
I think if we look at the statistics then a lot more people die in car accidents then having wls.
i know at the Whit they have only lost one patient so for me the risks of surgery way outweigh the risks of staying the size i am xx

Thanks. No I cant go on the way I am, I am sat here with aching knee's and I have not even walked far.
I think it will be the part leaving my kids they are too young to know what I am doing so it will be a lie to get them to understand where I am going for a few days I woudl hate for them never to see me again.
Thanks again x

Hun as a mum i do 100% understand how you feel but maybe u could tell them in a round a bout way, you could tell them Mummy`s tummy is not working prop and i need to go in hospital for a few days, depending on their ages :)
Also maybe you could ask ur consultant what his fatality`s rates are maybe that would put your mind at ease.
Also the lighter you are the less chance of complications, you do no have a very high bmi and if you could lose some weight b4 surgery then u minimise the risk of complications xxx

i understand how youe feel. its in the back of our minds all the time i think. i have 4 kids and although i dont think much about my weight killing me i do know i cannot go on like this. i am soo unhappy with myself and am too tired to take part in a propper active life. this op for me is a no brainer.
i either have this op or live like this forever, no other options, ive tried them all.

Hi
As a mum of 2 and a gran of 1 i understand your feelings totally. Believe you me i was really scared as my bypass got nearer and i refused to leave letters to loved ones( no offence to anyone who did this was my individual needs/feelings) because to me that meant that something was going to go wrong and although knowing the risks i had to believe i would sail through the op. Leaving my kids was very hard but then the flip side to that was the have only ever known a "fat mum" who has not been able to do physical activities as other mums could do with their kids and i wanted that to change. My health was important, although i had no health probs i knew that was coming my way given my weight so again i owed it to my loved ones to be around as long as i could. I got my wish i sailed through surgery and 10 days post op i'm excited as i watch the weight come off. There will come a point when you will reach that decision but meantime you are doing the right thing by asking questions to help you get things straight in your own mind. I wish you lots of luck and send a big hug xx

Back