• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post Op Diet Killing me and its only Day 1

delacey

Hi everyone. I am on a 7 day liver shrinking diet, as my surgery is due on the 28th. I have to say it is so hard, I am dizzy, I have headaches and I had to take sugar in my coffee as i thought I might pass out, seriously:sigh:. The diet is not the milk diet, but one that is very restrictive on carbs and no fats or sugar. Anyone else had this feeling ? I will have to be strict and keep to it from now on, but geee, I didnt expect it to be so tough. esp. having a raving sugar addiction and all:(

You must think I am a right wuss, as it is ony for 7 days, but I am a sugar addict and it feels like 7 years lol

Nah you're not a wuss... And Pre op diet is hard weather it's a milk diet or a low Carb one. And it's even harder when you have an addiction to something. I've just come off a 4 week milk diet and it nearly killed me lol. Just look at the bigger picture and how you'll look in the Summer and you'll get through it in no time. :D

Good Luck !!

Andy x

Dont fret we all struggle!Drink hot nas squash and have fruit for your sugar hit.Frozen grapes and banana are good.Can you have cadburys Options?

It is hard but you must stay off the sugar to ensure that the glycogen stores in your liver get used up and it shrinks enough to operate....Please don't set yourself up for dissapointment by falling at the last hurdle xx

It is hard but you have to stay focused and stick to it, as it is hard after the surgery to so this kick starts you to what its going to be like, i remember being on liquids and craved for egg and chips my daughter was having, but could'nt, its just a tool you have to use to loose the weight. Are you having bypass or sleeve, as you wont be able to have sugar if have bypass, but i have half spoon as am a sleever in the odd cuppa - you be fine, remember your new life is only 6 days away x

I dont know if I can have Cadburys options, I will ask at my pre-op appointment tommorow, see what else I can hustle out of the nurses that I can eat, but the frozen grapes idea sounds good and legal lol Andy you put me to shame having looked at what you've been through on your stats, 4 weeks on that diet, wow, I should think your liver has shrunk to the size of a pea!!. Anyway onwards and upwards:wave_cry:

Mayamoo I hear you. I know, and thanks for your encouragement. Bexs I am going for the bypass, but possibly the sleeve depends what they think at the time of the operation apparently. Yes this is goodbye to sugar time, but it hurts, it really does:cry:

Are you on the low carb diet and 2oz meat, 2 pieces of fruit a day, 1 yoghurt ? I dont think you will be allowed options, but you can have oxo and bovril.. not long now

I agree with what Bexs said. You really have to stick to it or you risk your liver not being shrunk enough. And, I know this sounds really harsh but the pre-op diet is a walk in the park compared to post-op! The headaches etc you're getting is from carb withdrawal and they will pass. Try and make sure you drink loads!

I know this might be a stupid question but have the hospital explained properly to you that you will never be able to have sugar in drinks/ chocolate/sweets etc again, if you're having a bypass?

I hope all goes well for you!!

Keep at it, it'll be worth it!

Sarah xx

Sugar Free Jelly.

I have to emphasise make your own though, and unlike normal jelly you really should make 1pint.

Hartleys Sugar Free Jelly tastes amazing, I wouldn't have lived through my pre-op diet without it. A lot of the light headed feeling could be head hunger etc. Give it a try, look for some stuff you can munch that isn't that evil.

I was on the low car low sugar diet for my liver and lost 15lbs, mind you I did do it for 5 weeks.I was doing it over xmas and admit I cheated on xmas day and had 7 mince pies but still my surgery went ahead.I have now lost in total 3 stone since 9th Dec

Back