• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre-op assessment

Montana

I had my pre-op assessment today and I've never been so embarrassed in my life!

Blood pressure was all good, heart rate all good, lungs good then it came to having an ecg, which ive never had before....oh my god!

The nurse asked me to remove my clothing on my top half which i understood to be "take your t-shirt off", then she said "take your bra off too", i was a bit taken aback by this so undid the back and slipped the straps off my shoulders so i was still 'covered' and she said "no, take it completely off". I instantly wished for death at that point and for the ground to open up and swallow me. I felt uncomfortable enough sitting there without a top on nevermind topless!! You can tell I've never gone through childbirth!

I'm sure they'll see much more of me on the operating table, but at least I'll be unconscious then so wont give a monkeys!! :eek:

H xx

I hade an ECG at mine last week luckily I got to keep the bra on. Don't see why you had to take your bra off as you can get a trace with it on ? Strange nurse x

I had my ecg last week & I had to take mine off too

I had to take my bra off for my full ECG, and my understanding is that most people do.
I was embarrassed until I realises that to them we're just another anonymous victim. Worry not.
xXx

It's horrible isn't it. I had to do the same - however, the woman was very matter of fact over it and it was just a brief moment.

After she had put the stickers on & attached the leads my nurse had the decency to put a pillow case over my boobs while doing the tracing .

Ooh - that is considerate. I had to sit trying to cover my boobs with my arms and hands - not a chance!

I could keep mine on but it was a skanky bra so i wished i could of took it off!!

Lol no one told me id be stripping so i didn't wear my Sunday best.

Some nurses are so used to doing this that for them its another day in the office, they tend to forget that we have feelings and are shy/ebarrassed about these things.....
I felt the same although thankfully my nurse was slightly more polite and made me feel at ease as she had the bypass done 3 years previous.

I have been a nurse for 22 yrs I still take dignity into account , but I know its not always like that , unfortunately

Glad it wasn't just me then!!! I feel much better knowing that lol :)

H xx

it must depend? ive had to do both before and was mortified but.... its only a few seconds i suppose lol cc

Yep they don't bat an eye at the sight of boobs, i have to lift mine so they can get the stickers on and normally walk out with one hiding under a boob :D No where near as bad as smear tests girls (thankfully i never have to go there again ).Or getting them squashed in a mamography !!!!

Back