• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre Op Diets - Different types and why

fatbutnot4eva

Loves her gorgeous family
Hi
I was wondering what different pre op diets there were and also why there are different ones.
Do you have a choice which one you do.
I have heard of 800 cal and milk and yoghurt.
Are there more ?
Does it need to be done to shrink your liver to normal size or smaller ? what if they find you have a bigger liver than they first thought or you might have an alchohol problem (I dont or I hope I dont - just asking)
I am no where near to mine but want to know out of noseyness.
xx
Helen

Hi Helen,

If you look in the sticky list at the top of the surgical board, there is one called Pre Op Diets, what is yours and how was it really? which lists quite a few of the different diets.

The diet is needed to shrink the liver, as during surgery it has to be lifted and moved out of the way to get to the stomach. Generally, the liver stores a lot of a substance called Glycogen, which is stored in fluid. So you'll often hear people saying oh it's only water when you have a big loss at the start of the diet. What it means is its the glycogen stores as they are the first to go when the body needs to fuel itself. The body will try and keep glycogen stores all the time as they are that first line of defence against starvation so once you start eating again it will go straight back on. That's why it's important to stick to the pre-op 100% as with cheating comes the risk that the glycogen comes back, which can lead to a surgeon refusing to carry out the surgery as lifting the liver becomes dangerous (a ruptured liver can easily be fatal, so moving it is tricky).

Most surgeons will have a favourite diet, which they advocate. Some will give a second choice, if the main one is really a problem.

Shell thanks for making it sound so sensible, I have been told why but not really WHY ! if you know what i mean
i will have a look at the sticky now
thanks
xx

The diet is needed to shrink the liver, as during surgery it has to be lifted and moved out of the way to get to the stomach. Generally, the liver stores a lot of a substance called Glycogen, which is stored in fluid. So you'll often hear people saying oh it's only water when you have a big loss at the start of the diet. What it means is its the glycogen stores as they are the first to go when the body needs to fuel itself. The body will try and keep glycogen stores all the time as they are that first line of defence against starvation so once you start eating again it will go straight back on. That's why it's important to stick to the pre-op 100% as with cheating comes the risk that the glycogen comes back, which can lead to a surgeon refusing to carry out the surgery as lifting the liver becomes dangerous (a ruptured liver can easily be fatal, so moving it is tricky).
I suppose a very low calorie diet like CD or LL could work as a pro-op diet since they do a good job of using up glycogen. Has anyone used a vlcd or asked their surgeon if they could use these for the pre-op stage?

Hi
I am booked in for banding and have been told to follow a 7 day pre op diet of Slimfast. I asked about why I have read that some people must do 2 weeks and was advised that its based on how much you are overweight.
I was considering doing 2 weeks anyway however amd gonna stick with the 7 days 100% as dont want to find it difficult after 10 days and risk cheating wheras stick to 7 as told and ensure that I follow it 100%

Cheers

James

I spoke to my dietician today who showed me the pre-op diet and its fairly normal
just low carbs and fat
cereal for breakfast
green salad
fish
fat free yoghurt
cant really remember much else bt not worried at all now
x

Back