• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

PRIVATE BANDERS !!

BlueDiamond

Hello everyone

I am just curious to ask if I was to pay privately.....god I feel so silly asking ...but here goes..............Can I choose what hospital and what surgeon does my op/fills etc and does the same hosp do the fills, the reason I ask this is because I wouldnt like to chose one that is quite far away as I dont have a set of wheels and dont want to be paying hundreds out in train fares, or can I have op done one place and fills another???. And if I have no luck with the NHS how do I start the ball rolling etc......

Thanks so much - all the best - MeJulie

Hi Julie
The beauty about going private is you choose where you want to go, who with, when and anything else you require. For instance I specifically asked if I could be first down on the day of my Op for surgery and my surgeon agreed. I went down within 1 hour of arrival to my room.

By the way band fills are usually done at same hospital and after your fill allowance with surgery there is an option to stay with them. My fills will be £150 each when I have to pay.

Hi, I agree with Liz, what I would add though, is to get the ball rolling, do some research on local hospitals that offer the op privately and do some comparisons - the after care package is worth looking at to ensure you get the best deal, then simply give them a call to make an appointment. Some surgeons may want to see a referral letter from your GP, mine didn't (although their website said they would). I saw mine in early March and chose my date for the op, I could have had it done a few weeks after the appointment, but chose to go for the 1st May firstly to give me time to get my head around the idea, and secondly to ensure my credit card had enough available credit ;)

I paid £7500 and it's worth every penny.

I agree with below. I just phone up and made an appointment to see the consultant. After my appointment I could choose which hospital, surgeon and date. I again decided to wait longer than was offered to get funds sorted etc.

Do you research but once you find the right one for you then you can basically have you op within 4 weeks.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Hi Julie,

I live in the North of Ireland and have my consultation tomorrow in Belfast with Dr Paul Super, my op is next saturday in Birmingham and all my after care is in Belfast as they wouldn't expect me to fly everytime I needed a fill etc

I booked mine through The Hospital Group, phoned 2 weeks ago to enquire about it and had it booked and flights etc booked all within 30 minutes, I dont hang around!!!

Most private providers are based in various locations throughout the country. For instance I had my band fitted in Preston but can have my fills at Birmingham, London or anyone of the other locations.

After loads of research you can pretty much pick and chose when you want your op!

Hi MeJulie. I did a lot of research online and found Shaw Somers...........he's really nice. My first point of contact was BMI Group. They arranged for me to see dietician who is part of Mr Somers team. I saw her on 8th June, saw Shaw Somers 15th June - operation will be 29th June. All very straightforward.:D

Hi i researched the surgeons background i live in devon but wanted one of the best so traveled to birmingham for op and first fill under xray hopefully i can have other fills closer to home .

Hi Julie, I did loads of research, mainly in the uk, but the prices were to much for me, so I started to look abroad, I found a doc in Belguim that had operated on lots of english peeps and he charged half the price of the british docs. I booked with him, the doc, hossy, nurses and operation were good. I got banded 8th May 09, I have lost 2 stone, I had my 1st fill last thurs, cost was £90, I am 6 weeks post op I have no restriction yet, but am hopeing that on the next fill I will have a slight restriction. Just keep looking and comparing prices. You will find a provider who will be at a cost that you can afford and a good doc as well, good luck Mandy

Back