• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Question - Anti-inflammatory tablets

topsy

:confused:I am confident that there is someone out there who can answer my question. The thing is i have had fibromyalgia for 9yrs and i have pain all over my body (and it has been like that for the last 9yrs).

I have been taking anti-inflammatory tablets for all of that time too (with the odd steriod injection - but i stopped them i put too much weight on). I have been reading that some anti-inflammatory's can stop you losing weight.

So are there any WLS who can answer my question:thankyou:

Hi Topsy,

Shel may be able to help you as she suffers with the same or similar condition (and is now busy growing a baby!). I know that post-bypassers cannot ake anti-inflammatories like Ibuprofen. Am not sure of the weight-gain/loss issue.

Hi Topsy

Just wanted to say cant offer any advice regarding anti-inflams as I cant take them. I have just had to up my oramorph again and at the moment dont want to start any other tabs. Hope you getting enough rest.

I sure Shel or someone else will be able to offer some good advice.

Keep on Keeping on

Ali

Hello :)

Yup I have fibro too, and used to take diclofenac. I swapped to di-hydra-codeine pre op, as the diclofenac gave me a bad tummy.

Post bypass, you can't take any Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) as these irritate the stomach and can cause ulceration along the staple line. This includes the 'profen and 'bufren range of meds (ibuprofen ketoprofen etc) and the diclofenac range too. You also can't take aspirin.

You can take codeine based meds, and stronger things like tramadol. The 'dols and the 'mols basically!

I found that my pain levels dropped almost immediately post op. I stopped taking painkillers the day I was discharged and have only needed them on one or two occasions. I took 1 dihydracodeine tablet a few months back and developed an insatiable itch all over my face lol. Your tolerance for painkillers changes dramatically post op!

These days, if I need painkillers I find paracetemol to be sufficient. I know that probably sounds ludicrous to you now, as it would have done to me pre-op, but it is honestly true.

It would be a good idea to talk to your consultant or GP, whoever manages your fibro, now to try some alternatives so you know you'll have your pain under control immediately post op.

Thanks Shel - I thought it might be something like that, i was taken of diclofenic last year and changed to Naprosyn and another tablet that basically helps against irritation of the stomach lining. I know i have to stop taking these prior to op and yes when the time comes will ask the medics in the know about my future with these type of drugs. Thank you also to Red, Gaynor and Moonflower for just caring x

Back