• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Referred to 'Why Weight' - West Sussex

charlottedunne

So I posted here a while back saying I was going to go to my doctors and ask to be referred but I chickened out. The good news is that I finally plucked up the courage and did it. My doctor said they can’t refer me and I have to be referred to a weight program called “Why Weight” in the West Sussex area and then they can refer me. Just wondering what I can expect? I am assuming it’s a program that I will have to follow for a few months but what are the chances of actually getting referred for WLS through a program like this? Did anyone else actually achieve this? Even if I lost a bit of weight on this program I don’t want that to stop me being referred for WLS when I know this is truly what I need.

Hello and welcome back :)
My teir 3 programme was originally called Weigh Ahead and then became Fresh Start. The swap in providers meant what should have been a year was nearer 18 months. I had a mix of appointments. Some were with a CBT dietician and some were group sessions about healthy eating, exercise and information about WLS and then what life would be like after surgery. Once I got to the end I said I did want to be referred which they did. I then had a more indepth info session at the hospital and then saw the surgeon. He raised some concerns because of my previous history of eating disorders and I had to see another dietician who agreed I'd put in a huge amount of work making the decision to ask for surgery, researching what it would mean as well as having therapy for my ED. He then put me on his list.

I'm sure you've read already that everywhere is different in what they want from you. I wasn't required to lose any weight to be considered but I think there would have been questions asked if I'd gone up by a significant amount. I did have to attend all my appointments though and having to leave one early because my dad was ill did count as not having attended. My BMI was about 43 and others have said if your BMI is over 50 you sometimes get quicker access, so a 6 month programme instead.

I hope that's some help and I'm sorry there isn't one consistent answer. Good luck! x

thank you for your reply and your information. It is most helpful.
Is what i have been referred Tier 3? If so what have i skipped at Tier 1 & 2? I'm assuming Tier 4 would be surgery?

hi Charlotte, I went to why weight in West Sussex too, and after 12 months I did get referred for wls. I didn't miss any of my appointments and finally ended up going private as the waiting list would have meant my surgery getting scheduled for around the time of my son's wedding! Why weight were very good though and really helpful. I only lost a few pounds with why weight but that didn't stop them referring me.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine though.

Hi Charlotte, I am not in your area, but my understanding is that if your BMI is over 50 without issues, or 45 (I think) with 2 or more comorbidities, then you can be referred direct for surgery - they are the NICE guidelines. I think/hope I have that right.

So it depends on your BMI at the time of referral.

However not all areas seem to follow this and GPs don't always know this - for me I was referred direct but it took a lot of research and contacting the surgeons secretary in order to get that done as the secretaries at the GP surgery couldn't find bariatric surgery on the choose and book computer system, so they just didn't do anything! I had to chase it all up and get my referral letter etc faxed to the right person.

Even with all that the wait for surgery in our area is about 16 months from the first GP referral!

Oh, and for us the criteria is from first referral so even if u lose weight on the program they don't remove you from the waitlist!

Good luck with it all!

H2x

I think it is tier 3 yes. I'm not sure what the first two tiers are though :oops:

Back