• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Share my experience

Hope71

Hi everyone, now that I am 4.5 weeks post op I thought I would share some of my experience.

My starting weight on op day was 103.1 kg. I didn't really do a pre-op diet as such.

My surgeon was Prof Ammori and I can not praise him or his team enough they were angels. I went private and the whole team at Spire Manchester were great.

Day of op turned up at 7 am had some blood tests as they could not get blood out of me during pre op assessment. Surgeon and Anaesthetist come to see me very reassuring. Walked down to theatre around 12 ish.

Next memory was in the recovery room. Thinking my lungs were collapsing in so much pain. Nurse sitting next to me kept saying you are fine your oxygen level is perfect it is gas pain keep breathing easier said than done!

Once I was back in my room I was still in agony I felt my lungs/chest would burst I was crying could not sit or lie down, things are very blurry but was told nurses were helping me walk in the room. I must have finally slept or passed out around 6/7 pm.
Woke up at 9pm with pain much improved, really quite manageable. But thru the nite as I had a saline drip I needed to go and wee every 2 hours. but those 2 hours I slept like a log.

Next day had my drip removed no more IV line had a shower. I had couple of tsp of muller yoghurt for breakfast and lots on peppermint tea.
I also walked and walked around the whole floor. I made sure I never sat for more than 10 mins. I was sleeping or pacing the hospital floor. This really helped I think with my gas and of course my first couple of hours of post op agony. I have not had an issue with gas again thank god! lunch and dinner I had chicken broth 2 tsp! I stayed in hospital for 2 nights because I travelled very far.

Travelled down to London 2 days post op. Everything went smoothly. Menu consisted of soups, yoghurt, and some protein shake. Day 6 was my first drama (sorry tmi) I had major bathroom issue I could not go I was in agony I had some liquid laxative that night. Woke up at five am with gurgling stomach And an image of laxative induced action but no where to come out of because the exit is blocked. Called my hospital ward in panic! They calmed me down and told me I needed Glycerine suppository to help ease things along. It did! Please keep some available for an emergency. Thank god from then on I made sure I added prune juice and freshly squeezed orange juice,I have not had a repeat of that incident.

I made sure I walked everyday little by little. I have been blessed I have not had any complications. I have not been sick, I have been lucky but I also make sure I drink/eat very slowly.

Since I have been on soft food I only manage 2 table spoons and it takes me 40-60 mins to eat that amount. If I eat any faster I feel like I am going to burst and it can be very painful.

I dont really feel hunger. But I get a deep ache in upper stomach/chest and I am guessing this is hunger. Also I get weak when I pass a meal/snack time which happened a lot till I got a proper schedule going.

My wounds have healed quickly of the five holes only the one that had couple of stitches because it was the one where the stomach was removed still aches a little if i stretch too hard or get myself into an uncomfortable posture a little too long. A gentle reminder that things inside are still tender and we should take it easy.

Weight loss after 4.5 weeks is almost 12 kg /26lbs. I weigh myself hap hazzardlly. I am very happy with my weight loss, not sure in comparrison to others if it is on the low side, I don't care I already feel the benefits and people are noticing.

I apologise for the very long posting, there is a lot of ranting, I just wanted to get my experience down for others about to o thru this journey can read different people experience I know that is the main reason I am obsessed with this forum and I never get tired of it.

Thank you for all you support everyone. Good luck all you about to have surgery. I have not regretted this for one second!

Nice to hear you are well and on track.
Take it easy as long as you can. It's important not to try to overdo in these first few weeks.
Please, do not compare your weight loss to others. we are all different people and our bodies are all different too.
I'm a slow loser too but, as you, I was starting from a relatively "low" BMI.

Back