• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Surgery and medication

wobbles

Hi Folks,

When i saw Mr Pollard he mentioned i would need to stop taking my prozac for the operation. He didn't say why and i didn't have time to ask.

I then saw the nurse and doctor at my pre assessment who couldn't tell me whether i needed to stop taking them or not, and to ask my gp.

I asked my gp and she can't think of any reason why i need to stop taking them, but has given me an oral form to take if it's the fact that the pills are capsules.

No one seems to be able to answer the question for me, and i really need to know whether i need to stop taking my meds or not.

Has anyone had any experience with medications and surgery?

TIA

Have you tried e-mailing him to find out? He's usually great with his e-mails and when I had a question regarding some tablets after surger he answered me straight away.
Cx

hi
alls i know is my meds had to be changed to liquid or soluable, but after eight weeks i went back to tablets and capsule form.
i can see no other reason to stop them other than to change their form.
alison

Wobbles - Maybe they just dont want happy people in hospital ? :D

Sorry i know, i crawl of back to my corner now..................! :wave_cry:

Hiya, i dont know the answer to your question but when you find out will you be good anough to let me know as i will be in a simular situation come January 09. many thanks h -x-

HI,

I took my amitryptaline tablet and another capsule medication 4 days after my op. I also took an antacid capsule daily. (still do!) I have had no problems with it. Its not a good idea to suddenly stop any medication, without weaning yourself off them! I noticed though that my meds seemed a lot stronger after the op. So I hope you hear from your surgeon soon. A liquid alternative sounds a good idea though!

Take care,

Kel xxx

P.s Richard, we dont all take anti depressants because we're depressed...they are used for treating pain too!:D

I was told under no circumstances to stop taking my anti depressants. they moved me onto dissolvable ones which i have stayed on. Ask you Gp if prozac can come in liquid or dissolvable forms. good luck x

LOL thanks Rich. If they want me to stop taking my prozac, they'll certainly have one very unhappy bunny on their hands.

Cat, great idea about emailing mr pollard, do you happen to have his email addy, or know where i can it from?

My doc has given me the liquid form.

Kel, when did you stop taking your meds? you said you took them 4 days post op, but did you stop for the operation itself?

Back