• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Telling work/ time off work

lyndz_ro

Hi all,

Been doing a bit of research and it seems that many can go back to work after 3-4 weeks all being well.

I was wondering what were peoples experience with employers attitudes? I frankly would lie and say I was off with my sciatica if I didnt need a drs note.

I work in a very under resourced, high pressure environment. I heard my manager quizzing a collegue about how long she would be off for her 2nd knee replacement and ask if it was definately necessary :doh: this coupled with the fact that I've had a lot of leave recently, makes me think she wouldn't react well. Maybe I should have planned ahead and used leave instead :confused:

What were your experiences?

Many thanks guys

L♥

Hi i had 9 weeks of after my bypass and told my managers manager what i was having done and asked her not to say anything. You can ask the doctor to put abdominal surgery on the sick note so there aren't to many questions. Hope everything turns out ok.

hello,well ive spoken with my manger about my plans and given a rough outline of how this whole thing works from meeting with the old the people I have to meet with and the length of possible recovery time and so far it all seems positive I have had friends whose bosses have been ok and I have to say mine has so far ,but like I said im a long way off from the operation itself lets hope the way ive been treated so far carries on

My employers wouldn't let me come back for 12 weeks because I had a very physical job and they were worried about health and safety. I had to take some of that time unpaid. If your job isn't physical you should be able to come back after 2-3 weeks. It's completely up to you if you tell them but if you are having a bypass you will probably lose weight rapidly and after your absence it might be obvious. So if you decide not to tell you should take that into account.

I was off for just 1 week... Most of my job was sitting bad worked half day second week. It was my choice to go back. Boss was a bit surprised but would have gone crazy in the flat on my own for longer,

I was off for 8 weeks as I have a physical job . I told my work what I was having done anyway and my doc put abdominal surgery on my sick line. If you don't want to tell them what you are having done can you say you are having a hernia op as I believe that has the same recovery time? X

I was told if you have a office style job you can probably go back after 2 weeks, however I've been told due to my job ill be off 4-8 weeks, depending on how quickly I recover. My doc is happy to put abdominal surgery on my note for work, after all it is whats happened. I work with different people every day, so most wouldn't notice the weight loss, but I've been very open about what I'm doing and why. I did have a chat with my manager, (who I never see!), just to give her a heads up that I was going to be off... So far they have been fine, but as I've only been off 2 weeks i guess I'll wait and see.
Hope its ok for you,

Good luck,

Jen x

It's so nice to see employers who are understanding, Im afraid mine were the opposite, I had a band and was originally only off for 3 days, but was told I had to take it as holiday as it was elective surgery. I was then off with a sick note from doc due to severe constipation, which they refused to pay company sick pay for as it was because of the elective surgery, I had to have ssp or take the time off as holiday! I really wish now that I had never told them,but I'm. So glad I had the band :)

I booked a fortnight's holiday for my band, and I was really ready to go back after that. It's a desk job - the most strenuous thing I do is carry my laptop around the site!
I didn't want to tell work I was having wls, which is why I took holidays rather than sick leave.

Good luck lyndz!

Back