• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The Extra Stomach

Birdie01

Hi Ladies and Gents...

Just a quick question, when you have the RNY - they make a small pouch from your tummy and staple the line off and then direct the end part of your intestine onto the new pouch, and the other part of the intestine with the stomach on is attached to the bottom of the intestine again, so does that mean your stomach just floats about in your abdomen? How does it work? Can someone tell me if i have confused myself completely?

Thanks,
Hayley:p

hi Birdie, yes you're right. they cut the intestines after the Duodenum and usually part way along the Jejunum and then reconnect that part to your new pouch. the intestine end that is still connected to your old stomach portion is then re joined further down the intestine, (making the Y shape of Roux En Y) so that the enzymes can still empty into the intestines. I guess you could say its floating a bit but it is connected to the intestines so wont go far. x

LOL! samp24 - Yeah I know it is not going far, i just worry that the stomach that is not getting used is just lying there, and although there are enzymes as you say, how can the stomach be working and producing enzymes if it is not actually digesting anything?
Sorry i realize these are questions for the surgeon, i just wondered if anyone knew...

the stomach makes enzymes as a matter of course, and a lot of these help break down foods further down the intestines (the stomach is really only a holding chamber for the food, only a small amount of food digestion takes place there) most of the real digestion of food happens in the intestines. even without food going into the old part of the stomach it will still secrete these digestive juices and they will be used else where.

Thank you so much for asking this question it was something I was wondering too. :)

I didn't no until last Friday that the bypass can now be reversed in extreme cases, so if you got very poorly and kept losing weight they can attach everything to work like it did.

Back