• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Tongue :(

hayley1983

Hey guys,

I've got an appointment on Thursday with WLSG so I will speak to them also about this.

But I wanted to ask if anyone else had this problem after WLS?

My tongue is a HORRIBLE brown colour and when I look close in the mirror it looks furry :cry:

The worst thing I could have done was google "brown tongue", because now I'm worried that I got a bad tooth, ulcers, thrush, the list goes on! :mad:

But I also read that it could be down to vitamin B-12 deficiency.

Can anybody help or put my mind at rest before I go on Thursday?

Thanks

Hayley

xxx

I got this after my band and after my bypass but i have found that since I have gone back onto food (well purée) it is not as bad. It tends to go away after you start eating normal foods.

Hi Hayley it could be thrush but usually you have white spots with that. It may just be due to eating small amounts, and the type of things you are eating.
Drink plenty water, as able, maybe try a mouthwash and see if that helps.
Does your toothbrush have a tongue scraper on the back??
Dont worry if mouthwash and fluids dont work doc will sort it Thursday if it is thrush some nystatin will sort it out.

Jay xx

Don't panic, it is completely normal to have a discoloured/furry tongue. Mine lasted about 3-4 weeks. It is down to slight dehydration, drastic change in diet, and the trauma of surgery. I believe it was Hopelesscase who said that her GP said as long as your tongue is discoloured & furry you are still healing, take care to eat and drink and get lots of rest. When your tongue goes back to normal it is because your system has adjusted and you are nearly back to normal in yourself.

Nic:rolleyes:

Hayley - mine was GROSS for a week or two post op but it improves as the days roll by - it's to do with what is going on in your intestines, the way your body is processing stuff and also going into starvation mode on fluids - it will pass but talk to your health care providers regardless.

Following is a diagram for how your tongue is a map for your body health:

tongue.gif

Wow. I knew that hands, feet and ears were reflexology maps of our body - but I didn't realise the tongue was! That's fascinating! xx

I also have this & the most vile taste & smell, I'm now 2 week's post op and can say it's getting better......!!!!!

Hayley - mine was GROSS for a week or two post op but it improves as the days roll by - it's to do with what is going on in your intestines, the way your body is processing stuff and also going into starvation mode on fluids - it will pass but talk to your health care providers regardless.

Following is a diagram for how your tongue is a map for your body health:

tongue.gif

WOW that is crazy :eek:

The middle of my tongue running back is my usual pink colour, so that must mean my heart is good :)

xxx

Great attachment tpt really interesting. I knew the tongue colour and middle line spots texture etc was associated with deficiencys but not body problems. I have done reflexology and know how accurate that is with body probs. Your diagram puts a whole knew light on my tongue thanks

Jay xx

Oh heck Hayley, you mean i not only have to give up carnal lust with my fiance but he also wont want to kiss me?

Hmmm in retrospect just wondering how long i can drag it out for xxx

Hey guys,

I've got an appointment on Thursday with WLSG so I will speak to them also about this.

But I wanted to ask if anyone else had this problem after WLS?

My tongue is a HORRIBLE brown colour and when I look close in the mirror it looks furry :cry:

The worst thing I could have done was google "brown tongue", because now I'm worried that I got a bad tooth, ulcers, thrush, the list goes on! :mad:

But I also read that it could be down to vitamin B-12 deficiency.

Can anybody help or put my mind at rest before I go on Thursday?

Thanks

Hayley

xxx

Thrush PMSL :D

Dont worry its a byproduct and will go within a few weeks

Good news guys. The tongue is normal again. Panic over.

I've been brushing my tongue (including gagging :D), drinking lots of fruit juices. But the main thing was, as advised by WLSG, to put some crisp lettuce in your mouth, chew it a bit, but just make sure I don't swallow it (still on liquid diet.) It is so refreshing and feel it's made a huge difference :)

xxx

Back