• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Transitioning purees to softs?? Need help!!

everpositive

Hello my dear gurus!!

So, tomorrow I am one month post bypass. Admittedly I have gone onto the puree's a week sooner than my 'team' advised but from a lot of the literature I've read plus the process many of you guys have followed, it appears acceptable to go onto puree at 2 weeks post op.

Anyways, I'm thinking along the lines of introducing'soft foods' now. From the point of view that I'm not that hungry, I havent gone daft with exeprimental purees to be honest. Bit of mash, sandwich pastes, mackeral pate, philly cheese, scrambled egg, mushed veg curry, half sloppy weetabix's and soup have been about the extent of it really. So what I'm asking is, can you tell me what are 'soft foods' and how different is it to purees in terms of the types of dishes you can have, and how easily the old pouch tolerates??

Many thanks people!! :)

I'm interested in this as well, as i will be going onto them within a weeks time

good question claire, I'll be loitering around waiting to see the answers to that one too x x x

Here is the break down I was given:
I was instructed to try each level for a couple of days and stay at that level an extra day or two if I had any trouble with the foods at that level. The whole process should take about a week to two weeks.

Level 1 - Soft Foods
Eggs poached or scambled without any extra liquid
Cottage Cheese
Tender fish (not blended)
Minced meat (made easier with gravy but no blending needed)

Level 2 - Semi-soft foods
Unblended casserole
Slices of tinned meat
Cooked (but unblended) veg
Tinned fruit (unblended)

Level 3- Softer Food into normal
Tender meats
Toasted bread
Raw fruit w/out peel
Regular cereal
Rice
Pasta
Tea & digestive biscuits
Raw Veg
Salad
Leave tougher meats & untoasted bread for the very last

I basically follwed this but did jump ahead on a few items without any problems (I was dying for some salad!).

Remember, chew, eat slowly & only try one new item at a time. If you have a problem try it again in a few days.

Best of luck & good eating!

Nic;)

Thanks Nic i have saved a hard copy so i can go back over it several times or when needed.

Looking at the levels did you spend about 4-5 days on each before introducing the next? I too miss my veggies in solid form, nothing like crunching on a carrot stick. and real meat wow lol even minced it will have some flavour

I did about 2-3 days on each level so it took just over a week. I did not have to stop along the way since nothing seemed to bother my iron stomach! Even now I have never been ill or dumped. I have issues with eggs (don't like them hard scrambled, pouch feels too tight) and white bread (too doughy & again makes the pouch feel tight) but those are very common food problems that bypassers experience.

I have trouble with all bread! So its not just bypassers with that trouble. You really are very knowledgable pg. Its great you know a lot, its a great help to know what is classed as "soft". Thanx x

Thanks hun, glad you found it helpful. I guess that I lucked out because I was given really thorough instructions by my surgical team & then also by my dietician. It surely helped me along the way to be well informed!

Nic;)

I was given loads of info too. It just seemed too much to take in. I did get an info book with it all in but my son accidentally spilt his cola all over it. I keep meaning to ask them for another one. I will next week when I see the dietician. Its good we can get info on here in the meantime. Take Care R x

I've just done two weeks on soft foods - my dietician described them as things that could be eated with a fork but no knife needed. I started off with a couple of WW ready meals as wasn't sure where to start eg pasta bolognese/macaroni cheese. After that i got a bit more adventurous and have had salmon, roasted vegetables, mince (in chilli), colly cheese, jacket spuds (no skin), cottage cheese, chunky soups, raspberries, blueberries, bananas, minced chicked (nicer minced before cooking), omelette, hummus, low fat cheese spread, cheese slices, ww tortellini, fish in sauce, mixed beans, baked beans, spaghetti hoops, ................... sorry I'll shut up now!!!

Last edited:
Chuckles.... Grom no don't shut up i do not eat the tinned pasta or baked beans but i think i can now try the other types lol butter beans hmmm oh and i would love some real meat in my mouth not puree, so i have to work out what i want in there most

Chuckles.... Grom no don't shut up i do not eat the tinned pasta or baked beans but i think i can now try the other types lol butter beans hmmm oh and i would love some real meat in my mouth not puree, so i have to work out what i want in there most

Real meat, snigger............ :8855:

I cooked very low fat mince on a very low heat so that it was very soft and I was fine with that. I also had turkey meat loaf made from a recipe from a WLS surgery cook book which was delicious. I put a chicken breast in the food processor before cooking it as I found that doing it afterwards made it look and taste gross! You can probably buy raw minced chicken, but it worked well this way. Soya mince was good too if you like that?

Went out to my brothers last night and when he asked what he should cook it was great to say 'Oh I can have anything now!' He did spag bol which was a good choice for me, and after 8 weeks it was fab to sit round a dinner table with a 'normal' plate of food eating 'normally'. There was a little bit of my brain that kept saying - you're eating too much you'll put weight on - but I guess that's normal after a lifetime of problems with food!! Will see what the scales say tomorrow!!

some of the baby foods for 2nd and 3rd stage weaning are very tasty especially if you are out and know you are going to struggle finding something. Just remember with any ready meal to stick to the no more than 5grm of fat and sugar per 100grm.
i found the meats off the deli counter really good at soft stage as they are very tender.

i will have to remember the cooked meats for eating out in a hurry, unfortunately central london does not boost much in the way of supermarkets lol still its something to remember for next time.

today i have so much more energy going to have a soak in the bath first - anyone else have problem with loads of dead skin? i have one particular area i seem to be constantly shedding skin and i cant keep rubbing at it especially in public lol

i think i will do some sort of potato pie today, oh god i need to shop hmmm maybe i should go see what i can get in asda rather then have it delivered, this will give me some exercise and i can get a taxi back for the same cost as delivery.

sorry was thinking the same as Grom as soon as I read it lol:8855:

Interesting read as I have one more week puree then on to soft. I was thinking of buying a small slow cooker to make cassarole as I love beef and if I can get it really soft might beable to have some

I havent seen chicken mince in supermarkets but I have had turkey mince in the past so could blend before cooking and make like burger type things with it

ROFL teen its ok i realised what you lot were going to imply as soon as i posted it but i have a warped sense of humour and decided to let i stand

Was just going to say slow cooking is a great option for the soft stage. I use mine 3-4 times a week anyway and had a really easy transition. Slow cooked chicken, bolognaise, casserole etc is very soft and moist. I did a big batch of low fat bolognaise and made it into chilli and lasagne as well.

well its only me at present so i made a fish pie

I sweet potato - boiled
6 raw king prawns cut up small
1 fillet salmon cut up small
white sauce

mix salmon, king prawns and white sauce gother and place in a small dish

top with mashes sweet potato and place in oven for 30 mins

I found this is enough for 4 meals for me currently, will freeze the other portions ready for when i go back to work, this way i build up a collection for when i need them and get to try different tastes

i also had 2 fresh boiled sprouts with it, mashed lightly with a fork to help me eat it easier

Back