• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Unsure of Process

TRISTAR

Hi everyone. I was hoping for some advice and clarification as to where I might be in the WLS process (if at all). My GP recently referred me to a local Weight Management Service. I have had my first appointment, which went through a triage of my health, and questionnaires, and at the end of it, I have been placed on a 2 year Weight Management Service. Tomorrow I have an appointment to meet with a dietician.

My bmi is currently is currently 52.9 I will be having my bloods done next week.

What happens with requesting considerations for WLS on the NHS? Is it a subject they will discuss with me, or is it something I have to request and initiate with them myself? I'm kind of in the dark with it all, and don't want to waste 2 years on something that may not work (like all of the diets I have tried), for there to be no surgery option.

Many thanks

With a BMI over 50 the guidance is that you are eligible to be referred directly for surgery, although that process can take 12 months or more depending on requirements for psychology referrals and dietician apts.

However, not all areas follow this, so it does depend on your region/hospital as to the process.

Have you actually asked for a surgery referral? Or just for help losing weight? I think if you want surgery you will need to actually state that is your aim!

Hi Hannah. Thanks for repyling. I went to my GP with an ear infection, and somehow he got on to the weight subject, and referred me for the 2 year weight management service. Nothing has been mentioned about surgery. It is my aim though, after spending so many years of trying to lose weight. I have an appointment with a dietician later. Do I mention it to them, or to my GP? How do I best approach the WLS subject?

I would mention it to the dietician, if they are part of the team they may know the process. You might need to go back to your GP and let them know that you want WLS referral and that based on your BMI you understand that you can be referred directly for surgery. They might not know the process, my GP didn't and it can be very hard to find the correct information. Good luck!

Hi Hannah. Thanks for repyling. I went to my GP with an ear infection, and somehow he got on to the weight subject, and referred me for the 2 year weight management service. Nothing has been mentioned about surgery. It is my aim though, after spending so many years of trying to lose weight. I have an appointment with a dietician later. Do I mention it to them, or to my GP? How do I best approach the WLS subject?
A GP has to do the referral. I went there first and it took five months from asking to getting an appointment. I then went through the various work-ups, Consultant Dietician, sleep clinic, psychiatrist, consultant and numerous more hospital dietician appointments to advise on diet and check weight. Started in January 15 and had surgery September 16 (on waiting list once approved by MDT for 7 months). My experience (but that could be because I am rural and my GP surgery has only had 3 WLS's before) has been that most non-hospital health professionals know very little about it.

Your BMI should easily make you eligible as I was told you had to be over 35 BMI . It may vary from CCG to CCG but I would guess not by much unless they don't fund it.

Thanks Sam. I met with the dietician yesterday, and she said the same as you about the over 35 bmi. She did say we can discuss the surgery option after 6 months of visiting the Weight Management Service. Do you still think I need to speak to my GP in the meantime about it, or wait the 6 months?

Thanks Sam. I met with the dietician yesterday, and she said the same as you about the over 35 bmi. She did say we can discuss the surgery option after 6 months of visiting the Weight Management Service. Do you still think I need to speak to my GP in the meantime about it, or wait the 6 months?
It's worth a conversation, just to make sure you are not losing any time in getting a referral. Mine took five months from seeing my GP to actually getting an appointment because of waiting lists. It would be as well to find out what the referral process in your area is.

I thought I would post an update. I have stuck to going to the weight loss referral clinic every 6 months. I don't feel I have benefitted from their "help" at all. I get weighed when I go, and on a couple of occasions they have done a balance test, and a step test (to see how many steps on a stepper I can do in 2 minutes). They didn't refer me at all for WLS (my starting BMI was almost 54). I have lost almost 8 stone so far, and my BMI is now down to 34 (so am no longer eligble), but not bothered as I have managed to shift the weight without surgical intervention. I have been going to Slimming World, and this, along with my own determination has got me where I am. I have found the weight loss referral clinic to be no help whatsoever, and it just all seemed like a tick in the box exercise, to justify their salaries. I know many people on here have received great help, but for me that wasn't the case. Thankfully for me, I have managed to do it without them. Got a few more stones to shift, but there's light at the end of the tunnel

I thought I would post an update. I have stuck to going to the weight loss referral clinic every 6 months. I don't feel I have benefitted from their "help" at all. I get weighed when I go, and on a couple of occasions they have done a balance test, and a step test (to see how many steps on a stepper I can do in 2 minutes). They didn't refer me at all for WLS (my starting BMI was almost 54). I have lost almost 8 stone so far, and my BMI is now down to 34 (so am no longer eligble), but not bothered as I have managed to shift the weight without surgical intervention. I have been going to Slimming World, and this, along with my own determination has got me where I am. I have found the weight loss referral clinic to be no help whatsoever, and it just all seemed like a tick in the box exercise, to justify their salaries. I know many people on here have received great help, but for me that wasn't the case. Thankfully for me, I have managed to do it without them. Got a few more stones to shift, but there's light at the end of the tunnel
Congratulations on your amazing weight loss. You should be very proud of yourself x

Back