• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What shopping do I need to get in for after surgery?

kurvykaren

Hi guys.
Me and hubby have both got our bypasses on Monday I want to get any shopping in before the weekend for the post op liquid for the first couple of weeks.
Can anyone advise what I need?
Thanks

Hi Karen and hubby - Well your time has come round for you at last!

If you have a blender and are up to it, get some fresh vegetables in and make soups and blend and pour them into ice cube trays, may seem a tiny amount but believe me you won`t want much to start with and you can add any extra you may want.

If you like yogurts, get some lump free ones in, make sure you have enough for you both for a couple of weeks! Not a lot of choice on the puree stage...........just make sure you have 3 `meals` a day and drink plenty of fluids in between, if not too keen on water get some sugar free juice for flavour.

Good idea to get a couple of toddlers sippy cups with lids, better than drinking through straws as you would get less wind.....found mine really useful, and just keep sipping all day.

When you go onto soft food stage, it might be a good idea to make cauliflower cheese or mashed potatoes with cheese blended in........just make small amounts - enough for you and hubby and make sure everything is well blended and soft.

You may have to experiment with a lot of foods and try small tastes as you don`t want to suffer with `dumping` syndrome.

There are more threads on here regarding foods post-op under the forum jump button and will give you far more choices than I have.

There are also books on bariatric surgery and usually they have recipes and guidelines in, take a look on amazon if you are interested.

Hope this helps a little x

Good Luck to you both with your surgeries on Monday!!!!:D :D

Love Kat x

Get lots of tins of soup in, remember you'll be straining the lumps out... No added sugar angel delight is good. Low sugar (not necessarily low in fat) yoghurts, preferably not with big chunks of fruit in... Mini milk ice lollies are good to suck if you get fed up of your no added sugar squash, also tip tops or low sugar ice pops/lollies....

Ooh yes get some dried 'marvel' milk in, when you make milky coffee's you can add a couple of spoons to your coffee and helps your protein intake which of course is very important....

No added sugar crusha milkshake syrup is good too, some people go off hot drinks for a few days post op and it just makes milk a little more interesting... Chocolate options?

Hope this helps xx

Not to contradict Juie, but be careful with the NAS Angel Delight. That was one of the first foods I dumped on. Not everyone does though of course.
I liked Baxters Consomme soup, Bovril drinks. Sugar free jelly and custard. Thin yoghurt or fromage frais.

If you make your own soup, blend some tofu into them. It's great for protein, taste-free but makes the soup a nice creamy consistency. (If you're allowed that at this stage)

Also Options Hot chocolate drinks, but again be careful with the sugar content; it could make you dump. Try making it half strength at first.

I like Robinsons NAS Fruit and Barley squashes. They're less sweet (you may find you hate really sweet things post-op!) and they do lots of nice flavours.
Sugar-free ice pops are really refreshing.

Best wishes to you both, you're so nearly there!

Grace xxxx

Thanks guys. I'll get a list ready for Friday!

You are right Grace, sorry as a none dumper i forget these things....

Good luck with the shopping Karen xx

good luck to both of you remember drink little but often golden rule when eating solids 30 minutes in between eating and drinking!!!

Thanks guys. Shoppings done, everythings packed and ready, having a restful day and early night, if I can sleep!

Good luck to you both Karen, please keep in touch and sending huge hugs and loads of love xxx

Back